Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Default Re: 2024 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    I virtually never fly SW because I can't select my seat. And when I do I pay for A. Still hate it. Secondary reason is you can't get extra legroom. If they change these things I would consider flying them more.
    or you still board in the 20s because of all the pre-boards. They pulled the OKC-DAL flights and I haven't been on one since.

Noticed Allegiant is ending its seasonal OKC and TUL-VPS flights early this summer - in early August vs early November last year. Anyone know why? I looked and XNA still has its nonstop flights to VPS through November..

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    or you still board in the 20s because of all the pre-boards. They pulled the OKC-DAL flights and I haven't been on one since.
    Since I stopped flying Southwest regularly, my “what ailment do they have that warrants getting on the plane first” scanner has gotten rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    Since I stopped flying Southwest regularly, my “what ailment do they have that warrants getting on the plane first” scanner has gotten rusty.
    Excellent post!

5. Default Re: 2024 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

I was looking at going to San Antonio in Feb but it looks like SWA only flys nonstop on Sundays now. Big bummer

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    I virtually never fly SW because I can't select my seat. And when I do I pay for A. Still hate it. Secondary reason is you can't get extra legroom. If they change these things I would consider flying them more.
    Same. I've never understood the cultish devotion people express for Southwest. It's bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Same. I've never understood the cultish devotion people express for Southwest. It's bizarre.
    I don't understand the cultish devotion but do see the draw. We are devoted Delta. We close on a vacation home in South Padre next month and Delta doesn't fly there from OKC. As much as we dislike SW, we are looking at getting the SW credit card so we can get the companion pass. I am paying about $600 for AA first class and SW is about $500 last time I looked. (Short notice booking). For $100 more....will always take the first class option. However.....if I am getting 2 tickets for the $500....then makes it more tempting to fly SW especially on short flights

8. Default Re: 2024 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I don't understand the cultish devotion but do see the draw. We are devoted Delta. We close on a vacation home in South Padre next month and Delta doesn't fly there from OKC. As much as we dislike SW, we are looking at getting the SW credit card so we can get the companion pass. I am paying about $600 for AA first class and SW is about $500 last time I looked. (Short notice booking). For $100 more....will always take the first class option. However.....if I am getting 2 tickets for the $500....then makes it more tempting to fly SW especially on short flights
    I would personally look at getting the AA card (barclays or citi) and going that route. If you build up your status, your chances being upgraded between OKC to HRL/BRO via DFW would be very high every trip.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    We have no kids, only do carry-on, they used to have non-stops to places we want to go, and they were cheaper than anybody else, so that's why we used them pretty much exclusively.

Reasons I like Southwest:
    1. Always on a 737
    2. Board after A group with kids (fly enough or get their credit card and you always board with the A group anyway)
    3. Usually cheaper fares than AA/United/Delta and easy award redemptions
    4. Most destinations of any airline out of OKC/TUL (LAS,PHX,DEN,DAL,AUS,SAT,HOU,BNA,STL,MDW,ATL,MCO) and good connecting options

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    1. Always on a 737
    That's the latest reason I avoid SWA recently.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    That's the latest reason I avoid SWA recently.
    737 and 737 MAX are very different planes.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    737 and 737 MAX are very different planes.
    yes, but almost 30% of the Southwest fleet are 737 Max 8.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    yes, but almost 30% of the Southwest fleet are 737 Max 8.
    This is the reason. Besides I hate the Hunger Games boarding, but the Companion Pass from the credit card tempted me tbh. I decided to remain an AA loyalist due to the places we fly and we don't mind DFW in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    I would personally look at getting the AA card (barclays or citi) and going that route. If you build up your status, your chances being upgraded between OKC to HRL/BRO via DFW would be very high every trip.
    Yeah but the AA card won’t get you a companion pass. If you’re trying to save money on frequent trips and always fly with the same person,, upgrades aren’t really what you’re looking for.

Had the SW companion pass for about 5 years. It was an awesome perk.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Yeah but the AA card won’t get you a companion pass. If you’re trying to save money on frequent trips and always fly with the same person,, upgrades aren’t really what you’re looking for.

Much better if you live near a Southwest hub. Lived in Denver for several years with the Companion Pass and would fly all kinds of random places for weekend trips because of the amount of nonstop flights. I was flying a lot for work so I used points and my wife flew for “free” (just the taxes which are anywhere from $5-20). We basically looked at the Southwest route map and picked a new place to go every couple months.

It’s not the same living in Oklahoma with way fewer Southwest nonstops but still is one of the best airline perks out there - I think its days are numbered though so enjoy it while you can.

17. Default Re: 2024 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post

Having the SWA Chase Visa will get you several free boarding ugrades per year along with multiple other benefits

In regards to boarding efficiencies on Southwest and other airlines...

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Having the SWA Chase Visa will get you several free boarding ugrades per year along with multiple other benefits
    Yes. Up until fairly recently you actually had to fly a lot with them to obtain enough points to reach A-list or A-list Preferred status and get boarding priority for the most part but now you can obtain it with credit card points as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Apparently you cannot use any Card Perks or Skymiles perks on Delta if you buy the Basic ticket. You have to by a Main or higher ticket to use any of the perks.

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    Apparently you cannot use any Card Perks or Skymiles perks on Delta if you buy the Basic ticket. You have to by a Main or higher ticket to use any of the perks.
    That is correct. Even if otherwise qualified for Skyclub entrance....basic will prevent access. You also dont get miles

I fly SW because I like being on a real plane as opposed to the tiny puddle jumpers AA and others like to use to fly domestic routes from mid size airports.

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    I fly SW because I like being on a real plane as opposed to the tiny puddle jumpers AA and others like to use to fly domestic routes from mid size airports.
    This might be an unpopular take but I actually enjoy the smaller planes because the boarding and deplaning process is quicker and there's no middle seat. Only down side is when they make you check your bag because of the limited storage space but I have priority boarding so I usually don't have to worry about it unless my suit case is too big.

The last few times I have flown Delta out of / in to OKC it has been a Boeing 737-800. I wouldn't call those "puddle jumpers"...

It’s probably just me coping from not being on a real plane but I feel like it’s easier to get comfortable on the E175 and CRJ’s versus the 737-800 or similar aircraft. At the very least, my anxiety is the same whether I’m on a CRJ700 or an Airbus A350, so I never feel like I’m suffering more when I fly Delta, American, or United than when I fly Southwest.

Thread Information