Widgets Magazine

Thread: Dallas. Wow!!

Default Dallas. Wow!!

I recently spent four days near Dallas (Frisco/Allen). I haven't been in that area in five years. I was amazed at the diversity of people there. In one particular mall I went to those who spoke English was probably about 20% (estimated). I always considered NYC an international city. But it feels like Dallas is quickly becoming one as well. Pretty amazing to see so much diversity when my image of Dallas is stuck on the old TV series Dallas, lol.

Default Re: Dallas. Wow!!

Frisco has been a magnet for growth in the last two decades. There are a lot of large employer headquarters just to the south in Plano, and Frisco itself has Oracle, Tenet Health, and T-Mobile as large employers.

Maybe surprisingly is that Frisco's demography is quite mixed for a suburb of Dallas. The 2020 census for it's 200,000 or so residents:

White 48.0%
    Black or African American 8.82%
    Native American or Alaska Native 0.3%
    Asian 26.27%
    Pacific Islander 0.05%
    Some Other Race 0.52%
    Mixed/Multi-Racial 4.55%
    Hispanic or Latino 11.48%

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisco...and_recreation

We have frequented Frisco a lot in the past 20 years and have seen so many things fill in on the Dallas North Tollway. The area around Preston Road and Sam Rayburn is impressive for retail. Driving from OKC, only complaint is that I wish there was a more direct route, the 380 loop has become congested as more and more housing and business have popped up, and the route to backtrack from Lewisville can be challenging depending on the time of day.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Frisco has been a magnet for growth in the last two decades. There are a lot of large employer headquarters just to the south in Plano, and Frisco itself has Oracle, Tenet Health, and T-Mobile as large employers.

Maybe surprisingly is that Frisco's demography is quite mixed for a suburb of Dallas. The 2020 census for it's 200,000 or so residents:

White 48.0%
    Black or African American 8.82%
    Native American or Alaska Native 0.3%
    Asian 26.27%
    Pacific Islander 0.05%
    Some Other Race 0.52%
    Mixed/Multi-Racial 4.55%
    Hispanic or Latino 11.48%

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisco...and_recreation
    I would love to see an updated census when it comes out. I bet its changed quite a bit .

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    I recently spent four days near Dallas (Frisco/Allen). I haven't been in that area in five years. I was amazed at the diversity of people there. In one particular mall I went to those who spoke English was probably about 20% (estimated). I always considered NYC an international city. But it feels like Dallas is quickly becoming one as well. Pretty amazing to see so much diversity when my image of Dallas is stuck on the old TV series Dallas, lol.
    Houston is the same way. If you're white you are definitely in the minority most places. It's especially evident at malls like the Galleria.

Dallas and Frisco are 2 dramatically different places, IMO. My sister-in-law and her family live In Frisco. Great people, but they live in a gated community, where everyone locks the door to the BMW in the garage. The HOA is working on hardening the perimeter that is under siege from all those Amazon and UPS trucks running up and down the streets that are irresponsibly buzzed in by other neighbors.

Blog Entries

There is no way that the Dallas area has only 20% English speaking population. That is absurd.

Now, maybe if you go to a particular location in an ethnic neighborhood to a shop selling ethnic products, MAYBE. This is either hyperbole or needs context.

Dallas is wildly overrated. I’d need to make like 3x my current package to even think about making that move.

What languages did you hear?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    I’ve heard people in LA speak Martian. Bet you can’t beat that!

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I’ve heard people in LA speak Martian. Bet you can’t beat that!
    https://giphy.com/gifs/i3O41NxPPpm7K

Crazy people are crazy I'm eccentric, Jack!

I'm quite familiar with English.....other languages, not so much.

I'm pretty sure your experience was pretty normal. Most people consider the Dallas and Houston metro areas to be some of the more diverse cities in North America. So its normal to hear multiple different languages and have choice of authentic cuisines from every corner of the world.

Only people like this guy would think cities in Texas aren't diverse and worldly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VietNam/com..._on_earth_and/

And he's got a serious case of Mako Poisoning.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine View Post
    I'm pretty sure your experience was pretty normal. Most people consider the Dallas and Houston metro areas to be some of the more diverse cities in North America. So its normal to hear multiple different languages and have choice of authentic cuisines from every corner of the world.

Only people like this guy would think cities in Texas aren't diverse and worldly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VietNam/com..._on_earth_and/

And he's got a serious case of Mako Poisoning.
    The issue of the original claim was about only 20% speaking English. That was the silly part. No one ever disputed that the cities are diversified.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    The issue of the original claim was about only 20% speaking English. That was the silly part. No one ever disputed that the cities are diversified.
    I’m thinking that was just based on his observation for that trip. Not sure what mall he went to or when he went, but wouldn’t really surprise me if the non-white patrons were well over 50%. The amount of Indians, Koreans, Vietnamese that live in the area is insane.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I’m thinking that was just based on his observation for that trip. Not sure what mall he went to or when he went, but wouldn’t really surprise me if the non-white patrons were well over 50%. The amount of Indians, Koreans, Vietnamese that live in the area is insane.
    Of course there can be pockets anywhere, but to claim that is Dallas is not at all correct. Hyperbole and extrapolation has become common language these days, particularly on these kinds of topics. There are many that want everyone to believe we are being overrun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    There are many that want everyone to believe we are being overrun.
    True, but I don’t think that’s what bucktalk was getting at. But then again, I don't know him. So who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    True, but I don’t think that’s what bucktalk was getting at. But then again, I don't know him. So who knows.
    My only point was my surprise how much change I saw in the particular part of Dallas I was visiting since I hadn't been there in several years. There is no hidden message or agenda.

Thread Information