Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Default Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

My first thought about Flycatchers is a bit of rolling of the eyes because does everything have to be about the scissortail (why no rose rocks?! lol), but then thinking on it more maybe if everything (ish) is scissortail something maybe that really starts to work for us in some synergistic kind of way.

"Thunder" and "Lightning" is cute, but its not like this team is really on equal terms with an NBA team and I also don't quite like "Lightning" by itself (but what do I know I don't think I originally really liked "Thunder" as a thing either).

'89ers has sentimental value, of course, and I wouldn't be sad if it were chosen. But I don't think its a requirement and part of me thinks it would be better to have something that Looks Ahead. I have mixed feelings about the Land Run in general.

Whatever it ends up being, mainly I hope it sticks around for a long time. From a branding perspective a new name feels like a new team (I think, anyway, I'm sure there have been studies and those may absolutely prove me wrong) so I think its better to finally have something we can really rally around for the long haul. Unless it sucks of course, ha.

And, of course, I should acknowledge I have no ideas of my own and my opinions surely matter less than nothing. I'm just munching popcorn and enjoying the speculation.

My vote is 89ers (but no one cares lol)

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Time for a poll? I like the complimentry "Lightning"

Did anyone see the new logos? It is so bleah except for the mustache guy logo, I thought that was good, the worst logos is the 405 area code and the OKLA logo, I thought that is unnecessary to have an area code as the logo and the OKLA logo does not look great either and the main logo looks like a 5 year old designed it and is too kiddy

If you see the new logos, they have the 89ers on it

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    Did anyone see the new logos? It is so bleah except for the mustache guy logo, I thought that was good, the worst logos is the 405 area code and the OKLA logo, I thought that is unnecessary to have an area code as the logo and the OKLA logo does not look great either and the main logo looks like a 5 year old designed it and is too kiddy
    These are temporary.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    89’ers are alive again- I hope.
    I hope . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Time for a poll? I like the complimentry "Lightning"
    heck yeah! Let’s gets some names going and I’ll make one if no one else does.

89ers
    Lightening
    Redhawks

What else does everyone want to see on it?

9. Default Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I saw someone on reddit mention the Flycatchers name. It's not terrible, but I'd prefer they'd go back with either 89ers or Redhawks.
    Oh Gawd no! Thats like the Bugeaters ......

The mustache man is one of the logos from the 80’s. Those that are old enough or lived here remember him well. I welcome his return along with the old 89ers phrase “Good time baseball”!

Wonder what triggered an immediate rebrand and why they had to do it now?

I'd vote for 89'ers.
    Redhawks had a ring to it, as well. I didn't mind it.
    I NEVER got used to calling them the Dodgers. We are a major league city now. No need to take someone else's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    If you see the new logos, they have the 89ers on it
    they will be the 89ers at every thursday home game this season

i like flycatchers because of the obvious pun for catching fly balls. but then again, my favorite baseball team logo and mascot is the Montgomery Biscuits.

I have really liked the connection with the Dodgers and even the supportive branding. As so many minor league teams are going with relatively cheesy names, this is a opportunity to join in the fun. Some of the other team names are hilarious. Amarillo Sod Poodles, with a prairie dog as the mascot.

Here's a link to see some of the others. https://www.milb.com/about/teams

Hopefully they go with a fun name (even the 89ers) could be good, but please make the logo better than 89'ers. Definitely needs a stagecoach in there somewhere. The Rough Rider logo is Teddy Roosevelt swinging a baseball bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    Anything besides 89ers will be a disappointment to me.
    Agreed. The next best thing would be the 89er’s AND a 2030 return to the Rangers as the parent team.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i like flycatchers because of the obvious pun for catching fly balls. but then again, my favorite baseball team logo and mascot is the Montgomery Biscuits.
    I have a Montgomery Biscuits hat I wear often and it always garners funny looks!

18. Default Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    OK, l withdraw my dislike of Flycatchers. I wasn't smart enough to catch the pun. <embarassed and smh>

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Agreed. The next best thing would be the 89er’s AND a 2030 return to the Rangers as the parent team.
    This is the way.

Mine too. I didn't like the change to the Redhawks.

The overture to a more "homegrown" nickname sure suggests to me they're telegraphing a notion of going back to the 89ers.

Blog Entries

Does anyone really think the Chickasaw Nation will support a team named the '89ers?

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Does anyone really think the Chickasaw Nation will support a team named the '89ers?
    I see your point, but, I think the Chickasaw are only the naming rights sponsor. I don’t think they have any operational control or duty at the ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I will never forgive the Rangers for leaving in order to satisfy the personal wealth of Nolan Ryan. They can stay the Strangers forever.

I also no longer want to be the junior, or feeder, market for the Metroplex. Associating with the Los Angeles gives OKC association with a different part of the US. And gives us distance from being junior to the big club.

No, if we talking the Dallas Cowboys, I’m in love with anything they do!!!

24. Default Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Yeah, I agree that I’d rather remain AAA affiliate of the Dodgers over the Rangers, recent Ranger success notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    OK, l withdraw my dislike of Flycatchers. I wasn't smart enough to catch the pun. <embarassed and smh>
    like i think they go all cartoony of a flycatcher in baseball gear catching a fly ball... i think it would be great!

Thread Information