Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Symmetry

The Village Symmetry

Two former Mahagony proprietors, Dave Osborn and Jason Pool, are opening Symmetry today (11/6) located in Casady Square at 9203 North Pennsylvania Avenue.

Executive Chef Glenn Scott has created a menu of traditional favorites with a modern flair.

Beautiful space with a large semi-circular bar featuring fine wine and craft cocktails.

Hours: Bar opens at 4pm, Dinner service: 5pm-10pm Monday-Saturday and reservations can be made online.

2. Default Re: Symmetry

This looks like Mahogany elevated several levels.

May have to make this my birthday dinner this year.... That Burrata Caprese and dry aged Cowboy Ribeye are calling to me!

Default Re: Symmetry

Looks an awful lot like Mahogany...

I know there's a lot of high end clientele in the area but not a fan of the location for something like this.

Hopefully they do well, restaurants are a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    Looks an awful lot like Mahogany...

I know there's a lot of high end clientele in the area but not a fan of the location for something like this.

Hopefully they do well, restaurants are a beast.
    Why not?

but not a fan of the location for something like this.

they didn't choose the location .. this is where the kitchen and bar where located ..

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Why not?
    That area overall around there is very iffy as you continue to go north & east. It's basically going to have to rely on Nichols Hills supporting it and is still very close to the Ranch. This is kinda off the beaten path if you're not hyper local around there IMO. I had same opinion before the Vault opened.

Blog Entries

That area overall around there is very iffy as you continue to go north & east. It's basically going to have to rely on Nichols Hills supporting it and is still very close to the Ranch. This is kinda off the beaten path if you're not hyper local around there IMO. I had same opinion before the Vault opened.
    If the food is good this will do just fine. They aren't expecting to draw from lower income areas, but there is a substantial population that can afford it that will find this easy to get to. I'm in Glenbrook and pass this area twice a day. It's actually very convenient. Also for Quail Creek area.

Just as an aside, Mattie's coffee shop in that shopping center is one of the better ones I've tried in the Metro. Also a big fan of 1492, but doubtful we'll splurge for something like Symmetry.

I will second the Mattie's love. My gf is OBSESSED with them. Saturday mornings are a required stop. And there is no better deal to me than Taco Tuesdays at 1492. You can get absolutely stuffed for $10.

The Vault seemingly closed in record time (and never seemed remotely busy, I live a few blocks south and there were nights I couldn't tell if they were even open.) Not sure what Symmetry is offering that is different, but I hope they are able to do better.

I could see the Vault had no idea what they were doing when I went out there to meet with them before opening. I hoped to be wrong, but if anything things were worse than I feared.

They did a great job with the space, however, and this new group just took over and added their own touches.

Long-term Hal Smith alums generally know how to run a restaurant.

11. Default Re: Symmetry

Any high end place that opens in a strip mall is instantly downgraded in my mind. This space looks beautiful, but the strip center outside and pixelated menu just DESTROYS the vibe for me. It looks way better than Steak the Experience, but that place was EXACTLY what I think of for "high end" strip mall restaurants. I have no idea why, but this is just a prejudice that is in my head. Other than Steak, i don't even have anything to base this on! I hope This place proves my instinct wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Beard Face View Post
    Any high end place that opens in a strip mall is instantly downgraded in my mind. This space looks beautiful, but the strip center outside and pixelated menu just DESTROYS the vibe for me. It looks way better than Steak the Experience, but that place was EXACTLY what I think of for "high end" strip mall restaurants. I have no idea why, but this is just a prejudice that is in my head. Other than Steak, i don't even have anything to base this on! I hope This place proves my instinct wrong.
    signature grill is one of the very best restaurants in the metro ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    signature grill is one of the very best restaurants in the metro ..
    I was just about to say the same thing!

These guys are being super smart about their first crack at starting something completely their own.

The space was recently completely finished out and I bet the barely-used kitchen equipment stayed as well. They were able to come in, apply their own touches, and be up and running with little capital expense. That's quite resourceful.

They clearly know how to run high-end restaurants and this is a great way to get started.

I'm not a steak person but I'm planning to give it a try. I really like the space and the location as well.

That reminds me that I've been within walking distance of Michael's Grill for about 14 years now and I've still never been.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydonesia View Post
    That reminds me that I've been within walking distance of Michael's Grill for about 14 years now and I've still never been.
    It is phenomenal! You should go. Don't let uppity things like it not being a stand-alone restaurant keep you from an amazing meal.

It is in a very wealthy area of OKC, so it is upscale, but affordable to where it isn't a once a year place.

Ha I feel the same way. Though usually some of the best ethnic restaurants are in strip malls. In Tulsa, Bodean’s is one of best seafood restaurants and is in a strip mall.

They'll have a fighting chance since they're at least good experienced operators but that alone won't be enough. Anyone who has seen restaurant P&L's can attest. Lots of examples of great operators with failed concepts. Location, location, location as in real estate. It's essentially another high end steak house for which the competition is already fierce. Why not create something unique and not a Mahogany knock off?

They'll have a fighting chance since they're at least good experienced operators but that alone won't be enough. Anyone who has seen restaurant P&L's can attest. Lots of examples of great operators with failed concepts. Location, location, location as in real estate. It's essentially another high end steak house for which the competition is already fierce. Why not create something unique and not a Mahogany knock off?
    Because they are very good and experienced with the concept. Competition is fierce because they are popular. And have a high profit margin when well operated.

I was told the property owner was the primary investor in the build out and opening of The Vault, when it was in this space a year ago. I'm guessing over 90% of the furniture, fixtures and equipment are retained. It was a high end design, just looking for a better operator.

If you don't know you just don't know. Dave and Jason are both incredibly competent, confident, and consistent. I understand some issues with the location, but they are going to do just fine. They have brain and talent raped the Hog and that's okay because personally I think HSRG is a bit soulless at this point. It just doesn't feel local anymore. You are going to see a lot of former Hog staff here for sure all things considered. This place WILL NOT BE CUTTING EDGE FINE DINING. It will be extremely consistent with food and service being well above average for the metro. They are going to do just fine, and if you think the location is going to kill them you just do not know the restaurant industry in Oklahoma very well. Steak the experience was going to be an absolute ****hole from the start. If you actually worked/invested in restaurants you would know. This place will build its own identity and do well. For the record, I know Dave and Jason professionally. I am nowhere close to a friend to either of them. I just know and respect them on a professional level. They have built solid reputations in the industry in this city. It would be bad money to bet against them.

Wife and I went in last night for drinks. Nice atmosphere--mixture of Mahogany and Red Prime. The entire bar was full, as well as most of the tables. We didn't try food as we were heading elsewhere for dinner, but all the food that passed us looked and smelled very good. Will definitely be back. One thing I noticed was the caliber of vehicles parked out front--Rolls Royce, Maybach, etc. Also, never in my life would I think this was a bad thing, but there might have been too much wait staff...

22. Default Re: Symmetry

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    Wife and I went in last night for drinks. Nice atmosphere--mixture of Mahogany and Red Prime. The entire bar was full, as well as most of the tables. We didn't try food as we were heading elsewhere for dinner, but all the food that passed us looked and smelled very good. Will definitely be back. One thing I noticed was the caliber of vehicles parked out front--Rolls Royce, Maybach, etc. Also, never in my life would I think this was a bad thing, but there might have been too much wait staff...
    Must be the people who usually park in front of Broadway 10. Haha! This is likely a place I will only try once. I think it looks great, but it is definitely not in my price range.

Blog Entries

The Ranch isn't in a great location. Others failed there. Isn't an imaginative menu. Is very high priced. And yet, they are packed all the time. Because they are GOOD.

I know the rote real estate pitch is that location is everything, but it isn't really. That discredits the business and the owners of the business. Besides, sitting on just the north side of Nichols Hills and just south of Quail Creek isn't a bad place to be anyway.

24. Default Re: Symmetry

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    The Ranch isn't in a great location. Others failed there. Isn't an imaginative menu. Is very high priced. And yet, they are packed all the time. Because they are GOOD.
    I was talking to someone just today about how they should try Symmetry and they are regulars at The Ranch. He basically said, "Why go there if I already have the Ranch?" So I can see how that can work both ways. Some will want a change and some will want to just keep with the Ranch just a mile down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    I was talking to someone just today about how they should try Symmetry and they are regulars at The Ranch. He basically said, "Why go there if I already have the Ranch?" So I can see how that can work both ways. Some will want a change and some will want to just keep with the Ranch just a mile down the road.
    There's the Ranch, Michael's Grill and OKCGCC all within 1 mile of Symmetry. That's tough competition for new business offering similar price point options. Hopefully this does well and they can develop a regular crowd from people in the surrounding area, but that's tough competition.

Thread Information