Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Restaurants that changed the OKC landscape…

1. Default Re: Restaurants that changed the OKC landscape…

Nm

2. Default Re: Restaurants that changed the OKC landscape…

How about Chandelle on top of the Founders Tower and, though a casual place, Split-T which has influenced a number of other restaurants.

3. Default Re: Restaurants that changed the OKC landscape…

For sure, Split T. Glad someone mentioned the Cellar, too. It was before my time…I spent a ton of time in OKC prior to moving here in ‘86 thanks to grandmas, aunts, uncles, cousins living here, but I was never old enough to darken the door of the Cellar before it closed. But I’ve heard it referenced too often by those who know.

I’d say the O.G. Pearls is worth mentioning. I’d also say the Bricktown Brewery earns a mention if only because it was one of the first places to introduce okies to the idea of craft brews and something more complex and flavorful than Budweiser. Also truly kicked the door open to downtown restaurant development after the long oil bust slumber.

Default Re: Restaurants that changed the OKC landscape…

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Restaurant didn’t change anything. Murders unfortunately didn’t incite any change either. This thread is about restaurants, not horrible people.
    So you’re saying that no one would’ve killed for a steak there?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    The Cellar Restaurant introduced French cuisine to Oklahoma City in 1963. Owned by Frank Hightower and located in the Hightower Building, it was run by Chef John Bennett who trained under James Beard. It brought an incomparable level of taste, sophistication and cuisine to Oklahoma City. It was a personal passion of Frank Hightower, who closed it in 1984 during the oil bust.
    kinda crazy that that space is still empty.

Not specifically a restaurant, but my mind immediately thought back to the short lived Hudson and 8th block party/food truck garden whatever you call it. So many at the time restaurant concepts got enough hype and appeal to open up brick and mortar locations, Roxy's and Hall's Pizza to name a couple.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    So you’re saying that no one would’ve killed for a steak there?
    This is in such poor taste I don’t even know where to begin…

8. Default Re: Restaurants that changed the OKC landscape…

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    This is in such poor taste I don’t even know where to begin…
    If only this site's ignore list extended to quoted comments I wouldn't have had to see such an insensitive comment. At least it affirmed my original decision to ignore. SMDH

9. Default Re: Restaurants that changed the OKC landscape…

double post

It was short-lived, unfortunately. But I feel Guernsey Park needs to be on this list.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    The Cellar Restaurant introduced French cuisine to Oklahoma City in 1963. Owned by Frank Hightower and located in the Hightower Building, it was run by Chef John Bennett who trained under James Beard. It brought an incomparable level of taste, sophistication and cuisine to Oklahoma City. It was a personal passion of Frank Hightower, who closed it in 1984 during the oil bust.
    Absolutely!! Probably ought to add Chef Chip Sears/Nonna's (South Western). . . John Bennet's nephew.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    It was short-lived, unfortunately. But I feel Guernsey Park needs to be on this list.
    when it first opened it was really spectacular ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    when it first opened it was really spectacular ..
    Did things drop below par for them? I used to consider it one of my favorite restaurants back then. But we likely didn’t frequent it enough towards the end to know if quality had fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    If only this site's ignore list extended to quoted comments I wouldn't have had to see such an insensitive comment. At least it affirmed my original decision to ignore. SMDH
    Awe I'm sorry I previously offended you so badly sweetheart! Hopefully your life has improved since blocking on the mean streets of OKCTalk.

In seriousness, my comment was out of line anyway but while i knew Sirloin Stockade incident happened before I was born, I thought it was in the 50s and not as recent as the late 70s. That being the case, I didn't realize that posters here may have been personally/deeply affected by it and apologize to anyone in that category who read my comment.

Dave Cathey has a great book on the history of restaurants in OKC...lots of the restaurants here and their histories mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by john60 View Post
    Dave Cathey has a great book on the history of restaurants in OKC...lots of the restaurants here and their histories mentioned.
    I have read this and second that it's great, much detail, tons of pictures, highly recommended, but it needs to be published in a new edition and copy-edited way better. Great info, just presented in an annoying way sometimes, but worth it.

Someone this thread needs to shout out is Chef Kurt Fleischfresser. A huge number of concepts outside of his Western Concepts group offerings owe their origins to The Coach House Apprenticeship program. OKC of course has some other spectacular home grown chefs of course. A lot of the coach house grads are responsible for a ton of restaurants mentioned in this thread so far. Kurt himself is connected in some way or another to a ton of restaurants in the metro and state. Kurt has been a pretty great influence on the Oklahoma restaurant scene over the last few decades.

Way back original the Roosevelt Grill needs to be on the list. And Chez Vernon and the Grand Boulevard.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Did things drop below par for them? I used to consider it one of my favorite restaurants back then. But we likely didn’t frequent it enough towards the end to know if quality had fallen.
    they changed the menu some and raised prices a bunch (not all of this was their fault )

but really i think being off the beaten path and being as big as it was hurt a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    they changed the menu some and raised prices a bunch (not all of this was their fault )

but really i think being off the beaten path and being as big as it was hurt a bunch
    Remember, they opened Covell Park in Edmond and that didn't last long.

21. Default Re: Restaurants that changed the OKC landscape…

For me Chef Black opening Flint and Vast was a pretty big deal for the Culinary scene in the Downtown area. It seemed to shift the area that people were going for upscale or finer dining. Now the business district has a lot of great places to eat. The Thunder and Devon building helped a lot with this, but Flint was the first place I really enjoyed eating at downtown.

22. Default Re: Restaurants that changed the OKC landscape…

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Lay off now. He understands.

23. Default Re: Restaurants that changed the OKC landscape…

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Lay off now. He understands.
    I don't know why you're chastising me. I haven't commented since his apology. How could I have known he " understood" before that?
    BTW, I knew the sister of one of the girls that was murdered, but I would've thought the "joke" was in poor taste regardless.

Can't believe no one has mentioned El Charro, a/k/a/ El Charrito, the first Mexican restaurant in OKC and the progenitator of basically every non-chain tex mex restaurant in OKC, to include present day El Chico's, Milagros, Chelino's, Alvarado's (I think they recently closed) and many more.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Awe I'm sorry I previously offended you so badly sweetheart! Hopefully your life has improved since blocking on the mean streets of OKCTalk.

In seriousness, my comment was out of line anyway but while i knew Sirloin Stockade incident happened before I was born, I thought it was in the 50s and not as recent as the late 70s. That being the case, I didn't realize that posters here may have been personally/deeply affected by it and apologize to anyone in that category who read my comment.
    Yeah man that was a formative memory for me. That and the Girl Scout murders in Locust Grove left a psychological imprint on a lot of people who weren't personally impacted.

Thread Information