Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michelin Ardmore plant winding down operations by 2025, resulting in 1400 layoffs

1. Default Re: Michelin Ardmore plant winding down operations by 2025, resulting in 1400 layoffs

Just my observation but, I think the majority of tires are made is China now. I just bought a set of tires for 2 cars at Discount Tire. The majority of tires they carry are unknown brands from China that they claim are better. They steer you away from name brands because they don't stock them. Another thought is that the automakers are giving huge raises to the UAW which will affect the bottom-line cost of the vehicles. They will try to cut costs anywhere they can. Things like batteries and tires will be a starting point.

Default Re: Michelin Ardmore plant winding down operations by 2025, resulting in 1400 layoffs

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    Just my observation but, I think the majority of tires are made is China now. I just bought a set of tires for 2 cars at Discount Tire. The majority of tires they carry are unknown brands from China that they claim are better. They steer you away from name brands because they don't stock them. Another thought is that the automakers are giving huge raises to the UAW which will affect the bottom-line cost of the vehicles. They will try to cut costs anywhere they can. Things like batteries and tires will be a starting point.
    Tires and batteries are a bad way to save money on car building. Especially tires. A new-ish car that has tire based ride quality or tire failure issues will take the rap. Not the tire brand. Also, car and tire makers usually have long and deep relationships. Ford and Firestone families being intermarried may be the closest, but there are long partnerships with all the companies.

Discount Tire sells cheap Chinese because they are a tire discounter first, and can make more profit on each of them than they can make on a name brand tire. Mainline tire brand profit margins are more like grocery margins (less than 10% gross margin), and they can make more profit on the mount, balance, and tire pressure sensor revenue opportunities. Discount Tire does a good job selling across all price ranges. I use them regularly.

Default Re: Michelin Ardmore plant winding down operations by 2025, resulting in 1400 layoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Tires and batteries are a bad way to save money on car building. Especially tires. A new-ish car that has tire based ride quality or tire failure issues will take the rap. Not the tire brand. Also, car and tire makers usually have long and deep relationships. Ford and Firestone families being intermarried may be the closest, but there are long partnerships with all the companies.

Discount Tire sells cheap Chinese because they are a tire discounter first, and can make more profit on each of them than they can make on a name brand tire. Mainline tire brand profit margins are more like grocery margins (less than 10% gross margin), and they can make more profit on the mount, balance, and tire pressure sensor revenue opportunities. Discount Tire does a good job selling across all price ranges. I use them regularly.
    This +1. I research tires on TIRE RACK whenever I need to replace a set. Discount Tire will accommodate ordering whatever tire you want. Just plan ahead a little when making your decision.

What is going to happen to the plant after closing, are they going to demolish it, or will it be an eyesore for Ardmore until someone buys the land?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    This +1. I research tires on TIRE RACK whenever I need to replace a set. Discount Tire will accommodate ordering whatever tire you want. Just plan ahead a little when making your decision.
    Discount Tire and Tire Rack are now the same company. Tire Rack will almost always have the better selection of premium tires, but Discount Tire is now their "preferred" installer. You just have to wait a couple days for shipping.

I haven't bought tires from anywhere else for the past 5+ years and have been very happy. I agree with Dob - tires are not the place to go cheap. There really is a difference in things like rubber compounds that can significantly impact performance.

6. Default Re: Michelin Ardmore plant winding down operations by 2025, resulting in 1400 layoffs

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    What is going to happen to the plant after closing, are they going to demolish it, or will it be an eyesore for Ardmore until someone buys the land?
    The plant's not closing. Just the tire manufacturing is being relocated. The plant will still be mixing rubber but that only employs about 150 people.

Thread Information