Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Top 3 (2023/2024 edition)

Default Re: Your Top 3 (2023/2024 edition)

1. Up, up, UP. Get some vertical buildings and infill in the downtown core and around The Oak. Include some big public housing projects to add height to the city and address cost of living/housing crisis

2. Expand transit options. More streetcar lines, more bus lines and shelters, potential bus lanes on more streets.

3. Expansion/remodel of Paycom to facilitate more docks/bigger concerts without spending $1b on a new stadium

2. Default Re: Your Top 3 (2023/2024 edition)

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    1. Up, up, UP. Get some vertical buildings and infill in the downtown core and around The Oak. Include some big public housing projects to add height to the city and address cost of living/housing crisis
    Agreed. All I ask is for more height then I’d be content :/ Drove through Denver today and it was magnificent with all of the height they have! Made me want it for OKC even more!

1. OKC becomes hub for major airline hub but that is pie in the sky so settle for more direct flights including international (Bonus if they have first class.)
    2. Fix and extend the streetcar system to make it useful and efficient for residents
    3. More commercial development along I44 between SW74th and Newcastle.

4. Default Re: Your Top 3 (2023/2024 edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Agreed. All I ask is for more height then I’d be content :/ Drove through Denver today and it was magnificent with all of the height they have! Made me want it for OKC even more!
    Denver proper has no more room to grow but up. Even though housing prices are ridiculous and interest rates high, they are still building. With Californians and 20-30 year olds still moving here there is decreased, but still healthy demand for apartment and condo housing around downtown. Denver doesn't have this issue with NIMBY's crying about too much congestion with high density housing.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Denver proper has no more room to grow but up. Even though housing prices are ridiculous and interest rates high, they are still building. With Californians and 20-30 year olds still moving here there is decreased, but still healthy demand for apartment and condo housing around downtown. Denver doesn't have this issue with NIMBY's crying about too much congestion with high density housing.
    Downtown OKC normally never has NIMBY issues. That is where height is important. What OKC has is a lack of wealthy investors to fund residential towers. OKC has the Bricktown Towers project, but that is 2 years in (if not longer), and not a soul on this planet knows what it will look like, and how much more in TIF funding they will ask for or if it will even break ground. No one opposes it, at all. But no competition for vertical development means they can take as long as they want and no one will hold them accountable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Downtown OKC normally never has NIMBY issues. That is where height is important. What OKC has is a lack of wealthy investors to fund residential towers. OKC has the Bricktown Towers project, but that is 2 years in (if not longer), and not a soul on this planet knows what it will look like, and how much more in TIF funding they will ask for or if it will even break ground. No one opposes it, at all. But no competition for vertical development means they can take as long as they want and no one will hold them accountable.
    Accountable for what to who?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Accountable for what to who?
    I guess they are on a reimbursement basis, so if no costs are outlayed, no money gets sent to them (or withheld).

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I don't think he was referring to just downtown.

Thread Information