Widgets Magazine

Thread: Radio Stations Outside OKC Metro Area that can be picked up in OKC Metro

Default Radio Stations Outside OKC Metro Area that can be picked up in OKC Metro

Hello Are there any radio stations from other metro areas that can be picked up from The OKC Metro.

I Know WBAP out of DFW can be heard almost word to word as far north as Southern Moore if you can stand a little static as I tried but am curious if there are any others.

2. Default Re: Radio Stations Outside OKC Metro Area that can be picked up in OKC Metro

Been awhile since I've tried, but I've been able to pick up AM 1200 WOAI San Antonio pretty clearly after dark.

Default Re: Radio Stations Outside OKC Metro Area that can be picked up in OKC Metro

720 WGN is fun at night in the summer for Cubs games.

I mean, I guess there is still a novelty in picking up a distant station on AM, but at this point, you can get any station via an App in your car in crystal clear digital audio.

HOWEVER, It is a pain that certain sports broadcast are blocked on streaming audio apps.

Default Re: Radio Stations Outside OKC Metro Area that can be picked up in OKC Metro

I could pick up Chicago’s WBBM NewsRadio 780 late night / early morning. It can be a little bit static, but it gets very clear on the freeways and especially on any overpass.

I’ve also gotten NewsRadio 1080 KRLD from Dallas.

Both are all-news radio formats.
    They have CBS News Radio at the top of the hour (similar to KOKC).

I used to be able to get 104.5 out of Tulsa well past Stroud, but there is a 104.5 in OKC now and I am not sure how that works.

As a youngster in the 1960's I persued a hobby called DXing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DXing

FM and TV transmissions are pretty much limited to line of sight from the transmission tower top the the receiving location....hence all those 1500 foot-plus towers in NE OKC.

However, at night AM signals can travel thousands of miles because the signals bounce off a layer of the ionosphere.

Too bad there is so much interference on the AM band these days...all sorts of modern equipment blows all sorts of noise onto the AM band. If anyone is interested, I can elaborate more about DXing.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCexpat View Post

FM and TV transmissions are pretty much limited to line of sight from the transmission tower top the the receiving location....hence all those 1500 foot-plus towers in NE OKC.

However, at night AM signals can travel thousands of miles because the signals bounce off a layer of the ionosphere.

Too bad there is so much interference on the AM band these days...all sorts of modern equipment blows all sorts of noise onto the AM band. If anyone is interested, I can elaborate more about DXing.
    For a long while I was quite active in the hobby of FM DXing. I had a rotatable Channel Master Probe 9 antenna on my roof at about 35 ft. high. Started the hobby in the mid 1970s. In 20 years, I had picked up FM stations from 48 states. So, know how crazy and rare big trop and E-skip openings can be like. Not surprisingly Hawaii and Alaska were never heard from. But eventually too many new FM locals from Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Stillwater made it too difficult to continue. It was getting too hard for the DX signals to get through. However, a recently retired OKC police dept. dispatcher has been in the hobby even longer than I was and still is, doing a DX report column for the hobby's organization, the WTFDA.

Never got into AM DXing. It's so noisy at night none of the OKC AMs can get through the noise to be decently listenable in Stillwater. So, if I want to hear KTOK late at night for Coast-to-Coast AM, I tune into KTOK's Internet signal.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCexpat View Post

Ahh sounds like good times back then. You could do that back then with TV signals until 2009’s DTV switch! I used to watch San Diego channels from as far north of LA as Hollywood.
    Today, you could hear LA’s KNX 1070 AM in Central Washington (1,000+ miles) or Reno NV. (600 miles).
    I’m curious to know if any of OKC stations can be heard far like that or at least hear OKC in Dallas… if anyone knows?

Quote Originally Posted by victorparknews View Post
    Ahh sounds like good times back then. You could do that back then with TV signals until 2009’s DTV switch! I used to watch San Diego channels from as far north of LA as Hollywood.
    Today, you could hear LA’s KNX 1070 AM in Central Washington (1,000+ miles) or Reno NV. (600 miles).
    I’m curious to know if any of OKC stations can be heard far like that or at least hear OKC in Dallas… if anyone knows?
    One can still DX TV channels, but today it has to be done only with rarely occurring tropospheric bending, rather than E-skip. That is because all stations had to get off the lower VHF channels and onto the higher VHF and UHF channels. E skip openings would start on TV channel 2 and sometimes work their way up to channel 6 and onto the FM radio frequencies. But no TV stations broadcast at the lower 2-6 VHF channels now. There is channel 4 OKC, but in reality, it broadcasts at a UHF frequency.

Unless you got some strong cooperation with the atmosphere, possibly unique to coastal California, I don't understand how you used to get the San Diego TV channels, because it's hard to bring in TV stations from over 75-100 miles with a regular watchable picture even before the days of digital. Its why CABLE TV used to be a must have.

What was once known as KOMA-AM is now KOKC. Decades ago, KOMA was famous for getting out the latest rock songs throughout much of the western half of the U.S. Those were good times! I assume KOKC gets out just as well today.

I also had a FM antenna on a rotator back then....my folks were cool about that!

A friend I met in OKC back in the 70's grew up in Barstow CA and KOMA (now KOKC) came booming in there at night. He told me KOMA was THE station all of his teen friends listened to. KOMA is the only 50,000 Watt AM in OKC. Tulsa has two....KRMG and KVOO (now KTSB).

11. Default Re: Radio Stations Outside OKC Metro Area that can be picked up in OKC Metro

I remember hearing commercials on KOMA as a kid for dances or concerts in small towns up into SW Kansas and eastern Colorado.

12. Default Re: Radio Stations Outside OKC Metro Area that can be picked up in OKC Metro

OKC radio-locator might help
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by victorparknews View Post
    I remember listening to KOMA in the 60's. People would call in from the Dakota's requesting songs.

Try Radio Garden. Click the dots.
    https://radio.garden/listen/houston-...radio/kyCyxmvF

When Listening to WBAP in Norman after sunset, i heard WCPT820 out of Chicago in the background

Haven't tested but it looks like WBAP comes in better in Norman then KOKC does in Fort Worth according to radio locator

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    Been awhile since I've tried, but I've been able to pick up AM 1200 WOAI San Antonio pretty clearly after dark.
    I can confirm it comes in in Moore just as well as WBAP in the day

Thread Information