Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OG&E Rate Increases

Default Re: OG&E Rate Increases

Wrapping up home construction and running the numbers on the solar decision now. Leaning toward NG generator now for backup then getting a year of electric cost to determine the right size of the PV array and battery. Since we went with a significant investment in insulation for the house, I anticipate our energy consumption to be lower than our previous, smaller house - until we add electric vehicles to the mix. (I think the combo of EV and your own solar power plant is where the cost savings really start to add up.) I definitely agree that solar is the best hedge against the inevitable increase in rates from OG&E but there are tons of considerations and it is pretty easy to get into something that will never provide ROI within a reasonable time frame. It will be pretty cool to be in town in Norman but off grid with no need to worry about the next power outage from weather.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    And to add, we will soon have zero dollar bills, earning credits for next summer.

And to clarify, oklapatriot, you do realize that getting Solar doesn’t mean you’re off the grid, right? So, when the grid goes down, so does your solar power. This is when you have a choice of backup batteries or gas generator backup.
    Depends on the microinverters. The Enphase IQ8+ inverters will work without an external power source, though they are slightly less efficient than the IQ7. But if a cloud goes over the house, you'd still be SOL... and in my experience, most of the time when the grid goes down, the sun isn't shining.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    And to add, we will soon have zero dollar bills, earning credits for next summer.

And to clarify, oklapatriot, you do realize that getting Solar doesn’t mean you’re off the grid, right? So, when the grid goes down, so does your solar power. This is when you have a choice of backup batteries or gas generator backup.
    Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm not against any type of alternative energy. At my age the ROI is too long and I don't want to pass the cost to my heirs. For some, it's a good investment. I did look into installing a system myself just for kicks. Most individual pieces of a solar system can be bought individually and installed for a much lower price then offered by the "traveling" sales folks. Of course you would need to have the knowledge and ability to do it yourself. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Depends on the microinverters. The Enphase IQ8+ inverters will work without an external power source, though they are slightly less efficient than the IQ7. But if a cloud goes over the house, you'd still be SOL... and in my experience, most of the time when the grid goes down, the sun isn't shining.
    LOL. When I was looking around at the cost on Amazon, I ran into this one, https://www.amazon.com/Inverter-Conv...63b24bcb5&th=1, which is pretty reasonable for a 10KW unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Oklapatriot View Post
    LOL. When I was looking around at the cost on Amazon, I ran into this one, https://www.amazon.com/Inverter-Conv...63b24bcb5&th=1, which is pretty reasonable for a 10KW unit.
    I'm not really sure where the device you linked would fit on a system like mine. It probably wouldnt'.

Each panel and each battery in the array has its own microinverter. On Amazon, the IQ7 is about $130 each and the IQ8 is $145. The microinverters convert the power to 120VAC and all of that goes to a combiner which combines and automatically routes power from your devices and the grid to the home.

I'm sure different brands have different parts and maybe that inverter works with some other system, I've only ever seen an Enphase system up close.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I'm not really sure where the device you linked would fit on a system like mine. It probably wouldnt'.

Each panel and each battery in the array has its own microinverter. On Amazon, the IQ7 is about $130 each and the IQ8 is $145. The microinverters convert the power to 120VAC and all of that goes to a combiner which combines and automatically routes power from your devices and the grid to the home.

I'm sure different brands have different parts and maybe that inverter works with some other system, I've only ever seen an Enphase system up close.
    You're right......I looked into the IQ7....interesting way to do it. Quick. The one I posted takes the total voltage generated by the panels and then does basically the same thing. The panels can be wired up in different configurations to generate different voltages, i.e., 24V or 48V.

Quote Originally Posted by Oklapatriot View Post
    You're right......I looked into the IQ7....interesting way to do it. Quick. The one I posted takes the total voltage generated by the panels and then does basically the same thing. The panels can be wired up in different configurations to generate different voltages, i.e., 24V or 48V.
    All different ways of turning sunlight into money/electricity. What you posted is a central inverter and it's generally not something you're going to see in a residential installation. Mainly because in most residential applications, you have to deal with shade and with a central inverter, the panels are wired up like a string, I'm guessing in series or parallel (I think that covers the bases on how to wire multiple things up?).

In the central application, your panels will only perform as well as the lowest performing panel.

Also, central inverters last about 15 years compared to microinverters, mine which have 25 year warranties.

Probably the biggest issue is safety. With microinverters, you have a lot of basically low voltage lines and with a central inverter, you have some high voltage lines running across your roof.

Of course, there's a downside. With solar, you get the cool spaceship looking wall and with microinverters, you end up with at least one fewer mystery box on your spaceship wall.

Thanks for the explanation, and I thought you were a Lawyer, Lol. The microinverters are very interesting. At any rate, I was trying to point out how important electricity is to our daily life, and how much it costs the utility to provide us with this service. I won't complain about a small rate increase, with all things considered.

Now, don't get me started on cellphones.

nm

"The company is lowering residential customer bills effective November 1st. That's because natural gas prices dropped in 2023. The average residential customer will see a reduction of about $20.97 a month beginning on their December bills. The reduction is approximately 15.4% per month."

https://ktul.com/news/local/oge-slas...prices-plummet

Just in time for winter, when the AC isn't in use as much and electric bills will be lower anyhow. lol. Oh well, we'll save a little

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Just in time for winter, when the AC isn't in use as much and electric bills will be lower anyhow. lol. Oh well, we'll save a little
    If you are on the average billing, this is the time usage decreases and you actually likely have the largest balance owed. By reducing the charge, it will take them longer to get repaid. Instead of it being the negative you imply, it is actually a positive.

Thread Information