Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Soaked today. Rain in July. I love it.
    No kidding, same here! I've recorded just a hair under 3" of rain so far this month at my place on the Southside - with over half of that coming down yesterday alone (1.67"). If NWS's forecast verifies, by the end of this weekend I'll have had a wetter July than June!

About 7/8" so far today. And it must have been windy. I had to retrieve my trash cans that were at the curb 3 houses to the east of me. Fortunately Warr Acres trash collectors come really early so they were empty.

If the weekend forecast verifies many areas should be back to normal, and major improvements in perennially dry Osage/Washington/Nowata counties. Bartlesville is still in Stage 3 water restrictions so any rain there and into SE Kansas is most welcome. Amazing to be seeing this type of system in almost mid-July. Seeing 2”+ totals in July in the Panhandle is almost unheard of

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    The map simply proves me part right. North central Oklahoma got little more than sprinkles just as I predicted, or in other words, a BUST! The atmosphere there must have been too stable as the main storm system entered it.

You must not be an Emily Sutton fan. She does use a computer model to project to the hundredth inch along with Mike Morgan. I doubt they will ever give up looking ridiculous doing that. No. 1 McAlester is projected to get 4". I didn't bother remembering exact amounts.

I'm still an Emily Sutton fan. She kills doing "Over the Rainbow".

Wow! She is so talented and lovely.

5. Default Re: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

We got about 1 1/4 inch yesterday and 3/4 inch this morning. And the guys fertilized a few days ago. Our grass looks amazing. I'm just glad I don't mow it!

6. Default Re: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Wow! She is so talented and lovely.
    Yes......yes she is.

The next MCS is already formed in the TX PH. However, it should slowly lose steam tonight as it travels deeper into OK as the airmass here across C OK is more stable. We’ll have to watch radar trends tonight.

Airmass is stable but the dewpoints have rebounded nicely. Will be curious if that’s enough to sustain the MCS.

Ch 4 and 5 6:00 weather both said OKC will likely get hammered with strong winds when the storms roll through around 10;00.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Ch 4 and 5 6:00 weather both said OKC will likely get hammered with strong winds when the storms roll through around 10;00.
    It just diminished to light rain when it arrived in Stillwater. More rain may be coming but it's way out in the panhandle.

These have been strange storms. Not really a single line but multiple lines that pulse up then diminish so the rainfall isn’t as widespread as a typical MCS, and thus harder to forecast.

For example during last nights storm parts of south Tulsa had over an inch of rain and high winds but midtown Tulsa only had sprinkles.

It looks like on this latest round tonight that Stillwater gets the weakened part of it again or the doughnut hole, but OKC and to the west may get some good rains of over an inch, if things hold up. A large part of the northwest already got that much.

Pretty crazy storm 2-3 miles north of Downtown right now. SW Metro looks to be getting hit particularly hard at the moment.

Holy cow, I must have received at least 4 inches of rain last night.

What a crazy spring and early summer.

Almost 9 inches this week at my house.

Blog Entries

Should have emptied my rain gauge! Overflowing!

Hope you guys have been enjoying this rain because the heat dome comes back with a vengeance here in a couple of weeks. The 100’s become the norm on the GFS two weeks out. Let’s hope that changes. Would be nice to get through most of July without a major heat wave here.

We got at least 3.5 inches at our house. Will Rogers got 3.23 in the last six hours.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Hope you guys have been enjoying this rain because the heat dome comes back with a vengeance here in a couple of weeks. The 100’s become the norm on the GFS two weeks out. Let’s hope that changes. Would be nice to get through most of July without a major heat wave here.
    This week looks pretty typical for July - low to mid-90’s with high humidity. Even a couple more rain chances especially next weekend. Then the heat dome returns - forecasted highs for 7/20:

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Good luck with that

I barely heard the rain last night. Slept through most of it. I was shocked when I just now checked my rain gauges. The one in the front yard had 5" and the one in the back yard had 4 3/4".

I didn't even know it rained. I had drawn about an inch of water out of the pool because it was almost to the top of the skimmer. Went out this morning and it was 4" higher - and 1" above the top of the skimmer. Just wild.

23. Default Re: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Lake Hefner has picked up A FOOT in the past three days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0172.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	349.1 KB 
ID:	18127

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Lake Hefner has picked up A FOOT in the past three days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0172.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	349.1 KB 
ID:	18127
    Thanks for sharing that.

I'm not surprised. I live nearby and I can't recall ever getting that much rain in one day; and the ground was already saturated.

Blog Entries

And the kicker is …..ITS JULY!

Thread Information