Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NBA's Seattle Supersonics relocate to Oklahoma City.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: NBA's Seattle Supersonics relocate to Oklahoma City.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentC View Post
    My view- if Seattle wouldn't have let Mr. Bennett out of the lease, it would have most likely worked out in Seattle. Folks forget, that Clay only gave Seattle a 30-day warning he was moving the team to OKC unless a new Arerna was approved.

Will the Thunder get past Denver and win a title this year? So far its-Sonics - 1 Title Thunder- 0

The Supersonics were in Seattle for more than four decades; Thunder is in its 16 year. The Supersonics only won one title in 41 years. Based on your statement, we still have 25 years to win a title.

VincentC, you appear to me to be someone seeking attention.

Default Re: NBA's Seattle Supersonics relocate to Oklahoma City.

My view- if Seattle wouldn't have let Mr. Bennett out of the lease, it would have most likely worked out in Seattle. Folks forget, Clay only gave Seattle a 30-day warning he was moving the team to OKC unless a new Arerna was approved.

Will the Thunder get past Denver and win a title this year? So far its-Sonics - 1 Title Thunder- 0
    the Thunder franchise has 1 title (and owns the sonics name ) the non existent franchise in Seattle has NOTHING

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the Thunder franchise has 1 title (and owns the sonics name ) the non existent franchise in Seattle has NOTHING
    Good point, we technically own the Supersonics name, brand and their history.

so something I didn't know that I found interesting. So the Supersonics were named for the hype around the Boing 2707, which was going to be the American Concorde. Everything around Seattle at the time was SuperSonic this and SuperSonic that. but that dream died when the Federal ban when into place about supersonic flights over the US. The City that was chose for the test for affects of Sonic Booms on a community... Oklahoma City. i mean i guess maybe those who were around back in the early 60's probably know this, but since this happened shortly before i was born, i just never knew.

so OKC killed the dreams of the Supersonics namesake, and then also took the team.

That bit of irony is covered in Boom Town: The Fantastical Saga of Oklahoma City, Its Chaotic Founding... Its Purloined Basketball Team, and the Dream of Becoming a World-class Metropolis. If you haven't read it I recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    That bit of irony is covered in Boom Town: The Fantastical Saga of Oklahoma City, Its Chaotic Founding... Its Purloined Basketball Team, and the Dream of Becoming a World-class Metropolis. If you haven't read it I recommend it.
    i'll have to check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    The Supersonics were in Seattle for more than four decades; Thunder is in its 16 year. The Supersonics only won one title in 41 years. Based on your statement, we still have 25 years to win a title.

VincentC, you appear to me to be someone seeking attention.
    This is a message board is it not? Just trying to have some friendly sports banter. You might want to look a little closer at the history. Sonics won their NBA Title in year 12 of their existence. And were in the title series twice in that 12 years.

Thunder in year 16 have not won a Title and went to the title series 1 time.

It's just fun banter, nothing personal. The Thunder have an excellent fan base, as I have noted.

Blog Entries

This is a message board is it not? Just trying to have some friendly sports banter. You might want to look a little closer at the history. Sonics won their NBA Title in year 12 of their existence. And were in the title series twice in that 12 years.

Thunder in year 16 have not won a Title and went to the title series 1 time.

It's just fun banter, nothing personal. The Thunder have an excellent fan base, as I have noted.
    So What? The Professional Basketball Club LLC, still owns Supersonics' history.

The owners agreed to leave the SuperSonics name, logo, colors, banners, trophies, and records in Seattle for a possible future team. All the retired Sonic jerseys and historical items are in the Seattle Museum of Industry.

Thunder does get royalties on any Sonic jerseys sold, that is why few in Seattle buy newly printed ones. I have my old one circa- 1983.

Clay Bennett was a gentleman when he agreed to leave the name and legacy in Seattle. When Seattle gets a new team, they will be called the Sonics again. And, all the retired jerseys and banners will be hung in the new Arena.

The NBA Championship Trophy also resides in the Seattle Museum of History and Industry... You don't see it in OKC behind a glass case.

The owners agreed to leave the SuperSonics name, logo, colors, banners, trophies, and records in Seattle for a possible future team. All the retired Sonic jerseys and historical items are in the Seattle Museum of Industry.

Thunder does get royalties on any Sonic jerseys sold, that is why few in Seattle buy newly printed ones. I have my old one circa- 1983.

Clay Bennett was a gentleman when he agreed to leave the name and legacy in Seattle. When Seattle gets a new team, they will be called the Sonics again. And, all the retired jerseys and banners will be hung in the new Arena.

The NBA Championship Trophy also resides in the Seattle Museum of History and Industry... You don't see it in OKC behind a glass case.
    this is not totally correct ..

It is correct. Come to Seattle and see

If I remember correctly, didn't the state of Washington or the City of Seattle make it illegal for funds to be provided for a private owned sports team? Mariners got a new stadium in 1999 and the Seahawks got a new stadium in 2002 and they didn't want to finance another one.

https://deadspin.com/howard-schultz-...rds-an-5907371

This is an article that was written back in 2012 by a former Sonics employee.
    The quote below really summed it up for me. Did they hate Clay Bennett for "stealing" the team? Yep
    Did the blame Howard Schultz and Wally Walker for be inept owners? Yep

"...You can't have it both ways. Either Bennett is an idiot who married into his fortune and lucked into the team, or he's a canny businessman who played the game shrewdly and won.

I have to think he's the latter. I need only look at the organization he's put together to know he's running the club better than Schultz—the media-ordained genius—ever did. It was Bennett who brought in the architect of the club, Sam Presti, based on their mutual connections with the San Antonio Spurs. It was Bennett who allowed Presti to build slowly around Durant instead of demanding wins immediately. Sure, there was plenty of bad faith on Bennett's part during the sale, but at this point it's silly to expect anything else from a sports owner. Caveat emptor applies to us as much as it does to owners. They are running revenue-maximizing operations, and a fanbase is of use to them only to the extent that it makes them money. All we can hope for is that an owner cares enough about his product to give us something worth watching every year. By all evidence Clay Bennett cares about his product. Howard Schultz never did. Maybe that's the ultimate deception in the Sonics' story: A lot of us had the wrong villain all along..."

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    Sure, there was plenty of bad faith on Bennett's part during the sale,
    except this part is not true ...

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    If I remember correctly, didn't the state of Washington or the City of Seattle make it illegal for funds to be provided for a private owned sports team? Mariners got a new stadium in 1999 and the Seahawks got a new stadium in 2002 and they didn't want to finance another one.
    Yes. Or, at least any investment would have to make a profit. It was in the city:

Initiative 91: Seattle rejects sports subsidies

It is correct. Come to Seattle and see
    I am hearing severe weather is hitting or will hit the OKC area. Hope you're all safe and sound.

My view- if Seattle wouldn't have let Mr. Bennett out of the lease, it would have most likely worked out in Seattle. Folks forget, Clay only gave Seattle a 30-day warning he was moving the team to OKC unless a new Arerna was approved.

LOL. There is no way the city could’ve done anything meaningful to stop them from breaking the lease after they decided to do it. You really didn’t follow the whole thing that closely, did you?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Yes, they passed I-91 after Bennett bought the team (and after the initial arena vote failed under Schultz)

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Yes, they passed I-91 after Bennett bought the team (and after the initial arena vote failed under Schultz)
    Look at the actual timeline. Lots was going on, the emails of Bennett proved he always had the intention to move the team to OKC. Under Shultz the first vote did not pass, mostly because Seattle taxpayers had already paid over $85 Million in 1995 to renovate Key Arena. The place was not a dump... The Sonics players all stated they love Key Arena.

Bennet was able to move the team because of 2 main situations

1. He gave only 30 days notice to have an approved plan or he would move the team.
    2. The City of Seattle allowed him out of the lease that had binded the team to Seattle until 2010.

From 2008 to 2010 A new plan would have been approved to upgrade Key Arean once again.
    Microsoft Billionaire Ballmer even denoted $150 million to that goal and would have bought the team back, giving Bennett a huge profit.

There is no use bantering about this any longer.

Seattle has the Sonics NBA Trophy, Retried UNiforms, and Banners ready to hang up again when Seattle gets a new team named the " Sonics".

Look at the actual timeline. Lots was going on, the emails of Bennett proved he always had the intention to move the team to OKC. .
    again this is not accurate ... he always planed to move the team IF a new arena was not built in seattle .. (and yeah he didn't think one would be) ... but that is not the same thing

he work on a new arena for a long long time

you are simple wrong

Look at the actual timeline. Lots was going on, the emails of Bennett proved he always had the intention to move the team to OKC. Under Shultz the first vote did not pass, mostly because Seattle taxpayers had already paid over $85 Million in 1995 to renovate Key Arena. The place was not a dump... The Sonics players all stated they love Key Arena.

1. He gave only 30 days notice to have an approved plan or he would move the team.
    2. The City of Seattle allowed him out of the lease that had binded the team to Seattle until 2010.

From 2008 to 2010 A new plan would have been approved to upgrade Key Arean once again.
    Microsoft Billionaire Ballmer even denoted $150 million to that goal and would have bought the team back, giving Bennett a huge profit.

Seattle has the Sonics NBA Trophy, Retried UNiforms, and Banners ready to hang up again when Seattle gets a new team named the " Sonics".
    This statement alone shows that you have little knowledge of what makes NBA arenas viable and profitable. It doesn't really matter how nice an arena is or how much the players like it. It matters how many luxury suites/loge boxes/club level seats the place has. Period. Key arena was renovated to the tune of $1.15 BILLION for the NHL's Kraken. It's because that's what it took to make the arena a viable pro sports arena. $85 million renovation is a drop in the bucket for what needed to happen to make that arena viable.

You keep trying to pretend you are just a casual observer that just wants to discuss the history, but clearly you are here to argue a point and you have some clearly defined opinions about the situation. Which is all fine and good. Just be upfront about it and stop trying to convince everyone that they are wrong, especially when your "facts" aren't completely rooted in reality.

Blog Entries

And that would have as much legitimacy as OKC claiming those things. Go earn what you get.., don’t just appropriate what others did as a team and organization. The previous Sonics will be the same only in name.

What does that have to do with I-91 being passed? That happened before both 1 & 2 and after the sale to Bennett.

And who cares if they players liked Key Arena? They weren't paying the bills.

In the history of Seattle Pro-sports measures don't always pass the first time. Schultz was in over his head owning an NBA team, and thus a poor owner. Ballmer would have pitched in sooner if approached.

Here is a fun clip of Kevin Durants return to Seattle 5 years ago. And it was nice of Mr Bennet to sell the Seattle Storm back to local ownership.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGEygUR4m9w

In the history of Seattle Pro-sports measures don't always pass the first time. Schultz was in over his head owning an NBA team, and thus a poor owner. Ballmer would have pitched in sooner if approached.

Here is a fun clip of Kevin Durants return to Seattle 5 years ago. And it was nice of Mr Bennet to sell the Seattle Storm back to local ownership.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGEygUR4m9w
    That’s the point. Passing I-91 after the vote failed insured that an arena vote would never pass for an arena within the Seattle city limits.

Thread Information