Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner.Arch View Post
    Would be cool if they would build an olympic village at the boathouse discrict where the surface lots are and after the olympics it could be converted into residential apartments.
    Until ink is dry, there are still a ton of moving parts that make this less than 50%. I will gladly eat crow if wrong, but with things like this, assuming they are a sure thing is never good.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Until ink is dry, there are still a ton of moving parts that make this less than 50%. I will gladly eat crow if wrong, but with things like this, assuming they are a sure thing is never good.
    LA28 hasn't officially announced *any* venues; it will all come as one big announcement in conjunction with the Olympic Committee.

And you are dead wrong. This is going to happen and there have been many signs of things moving forward in OKC behind the scenes that I'm not at liberty to share publicly.

Blog Entries

Automatically Assuming they aren’t happening without direct knowledge of anything is also not good or a proper analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Automatically Assuming they aren’t happening without direct knowledge of anything is also not good or a proper analysis.
    I didn't assume they weren't happening. Just that there are still moving parts, so you never know. They likely will happen in OKC, and be an amazing opportunity for the city! But until they are announced, it's speculation. I'm not claiming any inside info or doubting Pete, at all.

Blog Entries

I didn't assume they weren't happening. Just that there are still moving parts, so you never know. They likely will happen in OKC, and be an amazing opportunity for the city! But until they are announced, it's speculation. I'm not claiming any inside info or doubting Pete, at all.
    Sorry... I thought you said the chances were less than 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Sorry... I thought you said the chances were less than 50%.
    I did. When it comes to things like this they are either 100% or 0%. Until they confirm it, it is unconfirmed, and thus not a certainty.

I am not saying it won't happen, or that it isn't likely to happen. But there were other locations considered, as well. I didn't see where they were eliminated.

I did. When it comes to things like this they are either 100% or 0%. Until they confirm it, it is unconfirmed, and thus not a certainty.

I am not saying it won't happen, or that it isn't likely to happen. But there were other locations considered, as well. I didn't see where they were eliminated.
    lol

Time is also running out for movement to start construction in California to be showing, typically the IOC wants test events at least a year before the actual event. Design, permitting (which if includes diverting river water will include federal level), construction, and equipment acquisition all done within 2-3 years is starting to get tight on feasibility.

News out of LA hardly seems like they are going forward with with one there. The most recent plausible construction news I found on the area in LA that had been most recently proposed had 3 options for a future renovation plan around six months ago, none of which seem to include a whitewater course. Plus the next older stories I found around a year before that was some griping about the land might instead go to an NFL team for a new football stadium.

The City just put out an RFP for the Riversport area. This is definitely going forward and anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they are talking about and I'm going to start deleting silly, ill-informed comments:

The improvements may include, but not limited to, new restrooms, seating/grandstands and shade structures, lighting improvements, campus signage, cabling, fiber and sound system infrastructure, boat storage, dock and river access. stage enhancements and cover, sprayground, entry bridge, multiple improvements to the competition channel including pumps, pump controls, conveyor, timing system, and gates.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The City just put out an RFP for the Riversport area. This is definitely going forward and anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they are talking about and I'm going to start deleting silly, ill-informed comments:
    Olympics confirmed.

Insert that meme

"Tell me you'll be an Olympic Host City without telling me you'll be an Olympic Host City"

OKC - "How about an RFP for development all throughout the riversport area?"

Having the Olympics here in OKC is so very exciting. You'll be hard pressed to not see me and my family down on the river watching at some point. Also what I'm excited about is the impending new I35 bridge over the river, especially if it's given the aesthetics as advertised. I love when our city gets unique skyline pieces.

OKC is in the process of making a big leap forward.

14. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

I think we will remember the 20’s as OKC’s most monumental decade.

I was just told that the planned improvements are likely to be over $20 million.

OKC is NOT spending that kind of money for the canoe WC.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    You'd have to ask Pete. I was very clear in stating that I was not engaging on the topic of the Olympics; only stating that the RFP and Riversport improvements are being driven specifically by the WC, which itself is a very large event. Not sure why he continues to diminish the scale of the WC, but it is a massive underestimation and a disservice to the event itself.
    He has diminished the WC in your mind but in the same breath, you are diminishing the Olympic events. Just end it.

17. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

How is this going to be paid for?

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    How is this going to be paid for?
    With the future

20. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Is the LA Olympic committee going to chip in?

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Is the LA Olympic committee going to chip in?
    Pete had alluded to such, and I think they'd pitch in something. Maybe those details are part of the timing of the RFP.

I'm not sure if LA will chip in that much at all except for Olympic specific expenses. Isn't the whole idea behind multi-city hosting is to "share the cost" to host?

23. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I'm not sure if LA will chip in that much at all except for Olympic specific expenses. Isn't the whole idea behind multi-city hosting is to "share the cost" to host?
    We've already shared most of the cost by building the venue.

I recently read that the IOC and LA28 might not announce the final events and venues until after the Paris games this summer, which end on August 11th.

I know they are still tweaking things but I'm still very confident OKC will get canoe slalom and there is an outside chance at softball. It seems LA28 is going to stick with the shorter (1,500m vs 2,000m) rowing course in Long Beach.

Socalisooner disagrees.

Thread Information