Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sideline Bar & Grill

Plaza District Sideline Bar & Grill

Opening Friday 6/2, Sideline Bar & Grill is another great addition to the Plaza district.

Located at 1630 N. Blackwelder, Sideline offers a wide variety of appetizers, sandwiches, burgers, sides and desserts along with a kid's menu.

Full bar and lots of beers on tap with tons of TVs to watch your favorite game. They also have a popular location on Campus Corner in Norman.

Hours are Monday through Thursday 4 PM to midnight; Friday 4 to 2 AM; Saturday 10 AM to 2 AM (brunch 10-2) and Sunday 10 AM to midnight (brunch 10-2).

Default Re: Sideline Bar & Grill

wow food prices are pretty high for a sports bar .

any idea of their beer prices?

This looks like what used to be the Mule ??? I am not impressed with the significant use of chicken thigh (dark meat) for chicken sandwiches and the like. Why are they not using chicken breast like most other places?

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    This looks like what used to be the Mule ??? I am not impressed with the significant use of chicken thigh (dark meat) for chicken sandwiches and the like. Why are they not using chicken breast like most other places?
    Because chicken thighs are better.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Because chicken thighs are better.
    co sign

thighs>breasts

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    thighs>breasts
    I’m just happy to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I’m just happy to be there.
    A real man of genius.

Because chicken breast doesn't have much flavor?

Anyway, this design doesn't really give me a vibe.

Thigh meat is less healthy than breast meat ---- good grilled chicken breast should have enough flavor.

Thigh meat is less healthy than breast meat ---- good grilled chicken breast should have enough flavor.
    Some people like myself decide to eat unhealthy but tastier food, there are quite a few places around town that serve healthy food though, there are always something for everyone.

Do they give the patrons of the booths control of the TVs at that booth? I'd be down for that.

Anyway, this design doesn't really give me a vibe.
    I think the vibe is we have sports on lots of TVs and some food and drink.

Which, is basically the vibe of any sports bar, right?

Never enough sports bars with decent food.

Much more interesting to me than places like Rad Bar and whatever went into the Pritchard/Lua space (Grand Royale, I guess).

not really on both points

That's why people go to a sports bar, for healthy food.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Never enough sports bars with decent food.

Much more interesting to me than places like Rad Bar and whatever went into the Pritchard/Lua space (Grand Royale, I guess).
    I've walked by Grand Royale a few times and it strikes me as having a very off vibe.

Thigh meat is not less health than breast meat. It is not as calorically dense and it has significantly less fat for a marginal gain in protein. Chicken thighs not only taste better, but the are a better fit in diets that are actually balanced. I enjoy both, and typically buy whole chickens and butcher them myself to save cost and to regularly have fresh homemade stock. You have a very out of date understanding on nutrition if you think that breast meat is objectively better than thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    Thigh meat is not less health than breast meat. It is not as calorically dense and it has significantly less fat for a marginal gain in protein. Chicken thighs not only taste better, but the are a better fit in diets that are actually balanced. I enjoy both, and typically buy whole chickens and butcher them myself to save cost and to regularly have fresh homemade stock. You have a very out of date understanding on nutrition if you think that breast meat is objectively better than thighs.
    I gain energy from eating a chicken breast. When I eat dark meat, on occasion, my body tends to treat it as fat and I feel tired after I eat.

Once you fry something, healthy should be removed from the decision.

Chicken thighs got a bad rap in the 90's when low-fat was the fad. Better understanding of nutrients yielded a more balanced diet is better and eliminating one macro isn't good, overall.

I haven't seen a complaint like this in at least a decade. I must say, this seems a bit out-of-touch.

This opens today, yes? Any initial reactions of the food and service?

Edit: disregard I see they open at 4pm, so just 20 mins ago. I misread and thought it was 2pm.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    wow food prices are pretty high for a sports bar .

any idea of their beer prices?
    Which sports bars are you hitting up? Other than the sides, which are advertised as shareable, the tacos and the banh mi it appears to be standard fair if not on the low end to me.

23. Default Re: Sideline Bar & Grill

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    This opens today, yes? Any initial reactions of the food and service?
    I met a couple friends here last night to watch the NBA Finals. The place was fairly busy, with 10 - 12 people at the bar, about 7 or 8 tables inside and a couple groups on the patio.

Negatives: They have NO beers on tap and do not even have a drink/beer list, so I had to just guess as to whether they had a certain brand available and what it cost. They were also out of Miller Lite and Michelob Ultra. They server had no idea how to use the handheld ordering system and basically just stood at our table while she figured it out, which was annoying AF. The place also doesn't seem to have much of a "vibe" to it. They may be advertising themselves as a sports bar, but it could easily be mistaken for a hamburger joint or just any other neighborhood bar.

Positives: There are TV's all over the place, so it was easy to get a good view of the game. We didn't order entrees, but the Mozzarella Cheese Sticks we ordered arrived quickly and were hot and very tasty.

Overall, it was a so-so experience. It's nice to have another sports bar as an option, but I would rather watch a game elsewhere where the screens are bigger, like The Garage in Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I met a couple friends here last night to watch the NBA Finals. The place was fairly busy, with 10 - 12 people at the bar, about 7 or 8 tables inside and a couple groups on the patio.

Negatives: They have NO beers on tap and do not even have a drink/beer list, so I had to just guess as to whether they had a certain brand available and what it cost. They were also out of Miller Lite and Michelob Ultra. They server had no idea how to use the handheld ordering system and basically just stood at our table while she figured it out, which was annoying AF. The place also doesn't seem to have much of a "vibe" to it. They may be advertising themselves as a sports bar, but it could easily be mistaken for a hamburger joint or just any other neighborhood bar.

Positives: There are TV's all over the place, so it was easy to get a good view of the game. We didn't order entrees, but the Mozzarella Cheese Sticks we ordered arrived quickly and were hot and very tasty.

Overall, it was a so-so experience. It's nice to have another sports bar as an option, but I would rather watch a game elsewhere where the screens are bigger, like The Garage in Midtown.
    what were the beer prices like?

25. Default Re: Sideline Bar & Grill

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    what were the beer prices like?
    A can of Modelo was $6. The High Noon seltzers were $8.

All in with tax and tip, 4 adult beverages came to almost $43. That's pretty pricey for a sports bar, in my opinion.

Thread Information