Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Mother nature again skipping over OKC. Frustrating. We still need a lot more rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    OKC got very close today, but will likely touch 90F tomorrow (Friday) for the first time this season.
    Interesting how long OKC is taking to get to 90 or higher, compared to Stillwater. Stillwater got its first 90 on April 3. May got up to 95. Like April, only one May day got to the 90s. On June 8, it got to 92. June 9 was 95.

Huge rainfall today at my house, well over an inch.

What a great surprise.

Blog Entries

My gauge has almost 2 inches far NW OKC. Strong winds in the middle of the night. Pool clean-up time!

2 1/4" here.

I was hoping to see some higher totals from the MCS. Another one will be coming through on Tuesday and again next Saturday. MCS season is upon us

7. Default Re: June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

I saw the intersection of NW34 and Hammond on the news this morning. Because the water was 3 to 4 feet deep. My first wife and I lived on the NW corner from '79 to '85. It flooded back then and obviously still does.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I was hoping to see some higher totals from the MCS. Another one will be coming through on Tuesday and again next Saturday. MCS season is upon us

There are so few rain stations in their system that their maps often miss huge variances in the same county.

Lots of places around OKC got well over an inch and maybe two and yet that graphic shows a max of .63.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There are so few rain stations in their system that their maps often miss huge variances in the same county.

Lots of places around OKC got well over an inch and maybe two and yet that graphic shows a max of .63.
    Even at my place 4 miles east of WRWA, we got more than that - 0.72". Definitely happy with what we got, though it was definitely odd seeing pea-size hail come down at 7am.

Some big time storms possible tomorrow (Sunday) for the Texas and Oklahoma Panhandle with a storm or too possibly moving into western Oklahoma. As far as the metro goes storms probably move in overnight and clear the rest of the day with this system with severe weather western and possibly eastern Oklahoma.

We used 400 KWHs less electricity this billing period than same period one year ago I would say mainly because if the cooler temps in May than last year. Usage for the entire spring is less than a year ago. Natural gas usage was up slightly for the spring months though. Combining both, total energy usage was still less.

Messy pattern the next couple days the jet stream that was supposed to bring severe weather to the plains has pushed way down in the southern Texas and Louisiana. Computer model showing storms tonight nothing severe and then some possible storms in southern Oklahoma tomorrow afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Messy pattern the next couple days the jet stream that was supposed to bring severe weather to the plains has pushed way down in the southern Texas and Louisiana. Computer model showing storms tonight nothing severe and then some possible storms in southern Oklahoma tomorrow afternoon.
    Be thankful if your yard gets rain this week. It looks like a period of dry and very hot weather toward the third week of June. Talking 100+ across the state

Not to pick on Mesonet again, but we had three inches of rain overnight Friday/Saturday. We had to release three inches of water from the pool at least. Several hours of on-again, off-again sheets of rain. We live in Northwest OKC. The rain was coming down so hard the NWS issued a flood advisory, and in the text of the advisory stated, "One to two inches of rain have fallen, with another inch projected to fall."

The mesonet numbers at the recording stations the next morning were like .69, .43, etc. Interestingly, both airports registered an inch or less.

I guess it's too hard to measure rainfall across a city as big in land area as OKC but I'm always surprised by the discrepancy in numbers between mesonet and NWS.

I need to buy a rain gauge because I can't find accurate rainfall info otherwise.

I’d love to see the Mesonet double its reporting stations but until that happens it’s best for showing trends not exact amounts. It doesn’t do well with summer isolated pop up storms and also doesn’t accurately show snowfall totals in the higher terrain areas across SE OK

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I’d love to see the Mesonet double its reporting stations but until that happens it’s best for showing trends not exact amounts. It doesn’t do well with summer isolated pop up storms and also doesn’t accurately show snowfall totals in the higher terrain areas across SE OK
    Wunderground has the biggest weather reporting network. Is it not big enough to catch the biggest rainfall amounts of a storm system or with isolated pup-up storms?

https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/wea...BoC6iYQAvD_BwE A few others on sale for father's day. I have had one for about 7 years now. Only thing is the wind isn't very good but rainfall temp humidity all good.

This is just unbelievable considering how dry the western half of the state was all winter into spring. Such an interesting reversal with the eastern counties now below average for rainfall.

The NWS forecast for Stillwater tonight is complex. Yet, new rainfall amounts only less than a tenth of an inch possible. I'm not surprised. The light sprinkles this afternoon that didn't get any heavier didn't stop me from finishing mowing and edging the lawn. But sprinkles quit and sun is now out.

NWS forecast: A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 7pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms between 7pm and 10pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms between 10pm and 1am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms between 1am and 2am, then a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms between 2am and 5am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61. East wind 3 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Intermittent passing showers will continue to dwindle down this evening. If the stuff out in CO can keep steam, there may be a shot at some rain/storms later tonight into tomorrow morning, but the airmass is pretty stabilized. Beautiful weather the new couple days before we heat up and get real muggy heading into the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/wea...BoC6iYQAvD_BwE A few others on sale for father's day. I have had one for about 7 years now. Only thing is the wind isn't very good but rainfall temp humidity all good.
    That Acurite Iris 5-in-1 model is not a bad option, but I personally prefer the AmbientWeather stations; I've had an Ambient WS-2902C for about a year and a half now and have been thoroughly pleased with it. It can talk to a number of crowdsourced weather platforms, including the Ambient Weather Network, Wunderground, and PWSweather, too. It also has more options for expansion with additional sensors, although some of them (like the PM2.5 air quality sensor) are only supported as pass-thru sensors to ambientweather.net (i.e. they won't be shown on the console that comes with it). The AmbientWeather station setups are super customizable. Definitely worth a look if you're considering getting a personal weather station.

The Ambient Weather network is pretty nice (here is the page for my station, for example), but I plan to also connect it into Wunderground too for their better interface.

^

Very nice!

Thanks for the review and recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Very nice!

Thanks for the review and recommendation.
    I love my Ambient Weather station... and have purchased them for my father and my father-in-law as well (good Christmas gifts a couple years ago).

On the weather station front Davis Weather stations are the best but they are also very expensive. But if your willing to spend the money or have the money go with Davis. https://www.davisinstruments.com/

Thread Information