Widgets Magazine

Thread: Memorial & May Ave

Far North Memorial & May Ave

Does the city have any immediate plans to address this area of N May, immediately north of the turnpike? The curbs and roads are crumbling and the median is getting close to having more weeds than concrete.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7992.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	18028

Default Re: Memorial & May Ave

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    Does the city have any immediate plans to address this area of N May, immediately north of the turnpike? The curbs and roads are crumbling and the median is getting close to having more weeds than concrete.
    The city can't keep roads striped or potholes filled, so I doubt they're going to do anything with a median.

There is much worse than that around OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    There is much worse than that around OKC.
    I-44 & Penn is beyond appalling. And not just the intersection but along both sides of I-44 on the frontage roads.

I know some of it is ODOT but no matter, it's embarrassing as a city. If I posted pictures people would be shocked by the weeds and trash. In six years of living nearby, I haven't seen a single cleanup attempt other than pulling a mower over the grassy areas and creating trash confetti.

Makes that May & Memorial stretch look like a garden spot.

These things are beyond embarrassing. Makes OKC look so tacky.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    These things are beyond embarrassing. Makes OKC look so tacky.
    It's never been a part of our budget, going back decades and decades.

That makes it very hard to suddenly add in such maintenance given the geographic size of our city.

I only really noticed it until after living somewhere else and seeing how most cities handle this issue.

C'mon man. It's May 19th and we have just had 3 inches of rain in the last month. This is the fastest grass and weed growing time of year. That median coulda been buzzed flat 10 days ago and would still look the same.

There are a few select places where medians have a history of being "adopted." I am thinking of May Avenue just north of Wilshire. There is a tiny median - not any larger than this one pictured - It's been a while since I was through there, but at least a while back, that was nice and green and planted with pretty flowers.

These intersections along Memorial from Western over to Paycom see SO MUCH traffic. I have to think they could be adopted in a similar manner.

This really is a pet peeve of mine. The last time I was home I think I wrote about it on a thread on this site, the turnpike in this area was just awful looking. It's not just the civic-owned spaces (although they are by far the worst). But the businesses along that stretch get by with just plain grass that gets rutted out or maybe a sorry strip of bushes. I know, the OK weather and all that, but I just can't believe there can't be some expectations of real landscaping. It's jarring when you live someplace else and come back and see it. I was embarrassed to bring my wife through there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I-44 & Penn is beyond appalling. And not just the intersection but along both sides of I-44 on the frontage roads.

I know some of it is ODOT but no matter, it's embarrassing as a city. If I posted pictures people would be shocked by the weeds and trash. In six years of living nearby, I haven't seen a single cleanup attempt other than pulling a mower over the grassy areas and creating trash confetti.

Makes that May & Memorial stretch look like a garden spot.
    Speaking of that intersection we just took the Penn exit off east bound 44. While waiting at the light to turn N on Penn the person working that corner begging for money was holding a sign that said "Need Money For Pe**s Enlargement. Anything Helps". Stay classy I44 and Penn. Looks to be a homeless encampment on the east side of that intersection too.

Speaking of that intersection we just took the Penn exit off east bound 44. While waiting at the light to turn N on Penn the person working that corner begging for money was holding a sign that said "Need Money For Pe**s Enlargement. Anything Helps". Stay classy I44 and Penn. Looks to be a homeless encampment on the east side of that intersection too.
    The City clears them out literally on a daily basis. I know because I'm part of a neighborhood group.

And they are back within a few hours, and then it happens all over again the next day.

There is also the county-paid Shine unit that comes out at least 4 times a week and an ambulance comes for someone seemingly every other day. The amount of money spent in just this small area has to be staggering -- like millions a year.

Once there are enough beds for everyone, you can bet my neighborhood will be forcing the City to clear them out permanently. There have started to be successful lawsuits by homeowners and businesses in other cities when a municipality allows this sort of thing to continue because it is completely unsafe on many levels.

Also, some of these "homeless" live in the apartments on the NW corner of Penn & I-44. People need to stop giving money to panhandlers.

I keep a baggie of Milk-Bone dog biscuits in my truck. If I see a panhandler with a dog which it seems like about half of them do now I will give them a dog biscuit for the dog. But that is all I ever give them. Most seem grateful but I've had a few get mad because when they see the window come down they thing they are getting money and it's only a dog biscuit. My wife and I just couldn't believe that particular sign. You would have to have some serious mental health issues thinking that would be a good sign to use panhandling.

I keep a baggie of Milk-Bone dog biscuits in my truck. If I see a panhandler with a dog which it seems like about half of them do now I will give them a dog biscuit for the dog. But that is all I ever give them. Most seem grateful but I've had a few get mad because when they see the window come down they thing they are getting money and it's only a dog biscuit. My wife and I just couldn't believe that particular sign. You would have to have some serious mental health issues thinking that would be a good sign to use panhandling.
    There is a dog from one of my homeless neighbors that gets loose and always comes to my house for some reason.

I know the guy by now and he has a cell phone (they all do) so I call him and he comes to pick her up. She's an incredibly sweet dog and has a bad eye infection and I'm tempted to keep her but she is well-fed and I imagine her master would completely lose the plot without her.

There are some charities that raise money to provide care to the pets of the homeless. I saw this dog (Aspen) a couple of days ago and it looks like her eye is a bit better.

The whole situation with the homeless is so challenging.

13. Default Re: Memorial & May Ave

Even some of the medians that have landscaping, or even just grass, are just worn down to the dirt from panhandlers strolling back and forth, and leaving their trash. Again, not an easy solution

Go a couple of blocks North on May, and there is a median at the intersection where Panda Express is located, that sticks so far out into the intersection that it's almost dangerous for cars turning North and South, onto May. I've seen cars stranded on the median because it's practically in the typical path of a left turn.

Name:	median.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	465.5 KB 
ID:	18029

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    Go a couple of blocks North on May, and there is a median at the intersection where Panda Express is located, that sticks so far out into the intersection that it's almost dangerous for cars turning North and South, onto May. I've seen cars stranded on the median because it's practically in the typical path of a left turn.

Name:	median.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	465.5 KB 
ID:	18029
    I'm pretty sure OKC FINALLY fixed this!!! I got caught in traffic a few days ago and the cause was major equipment at this spot and although I haven't gotten a good look at it, due to only passing by in heavy traffic, it looks like the part that extends into the intersection is gone!!! The outline is still there, but the actual medium appears to be much further back.

Thread Information