Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: State Rankings

Default Re: State Rankings

Take DFW, Houston, Austin, & San Antonio out of Texas and see what kind of state it is...

To wit, Oklahoma’s population grew by about 200k people between 2010 and 2020. 172,000 of those people moved to the OKC Metro.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Take DFW, Houston, Austin, & San Antonio out of Texas and see what kind of state it is...
    Exactly. I love when people move goal posts to fit their desired outcome. Take Kansas City and St Louis out of Missouri, and what do you get? Or Wichita and Kansas City out of Kansas. Or Denver and Colorado Springs out of Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    To wit, Oklahoma’s population grew by about 200k people between 2010 and 2020. 172,000 of those people moved to the OKC Metro.
    This is really surprising! That is a good influx of growth, however, I am surprised because OKC or Tulsa have not attracted any major corporate HQ's to the State. Typical O&G State along with agriculture. This has a lot to do with the "culture" of the State. My perception only. Oklahoma has much potential to grow and prosper, however is it in their collective will if they choose to make it happen.

The industry is turning in OKC, our aerospace industry is growing tremendously. And it also seems like we are getting a new manufacturing, distribution, or fulfillment plant announced every month, and I am ok with that. These are decent paying jobs, and jobs brings people. And they need to spend that money somewhere. Everybody is not able to work at Paycom or Devon.

At last check Florida was the fastest growing state. And I can assure you that most of those weren’t moving to Pahokee.

This is what I could find from the Census. Tulsa and OKC metros combined for 250,561. The rest of the state losing population brought the state's total population gain down.

Oklahoma Population 2010 - 2020
    3,751,351 - 3,959,353: 208,002

OKC Metro 2010 - 2020
    1,252,987 - 1,425,695 : 172,708

Tulsa Metro 2010 - 2020
    937,478 - 1,015,331: 77,853

Blog Entries

Who thinks 20,000 per year population increase is impressive?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Who thinks 20,000 per year population increase is impressive?
    It’s more impressive than negative 400,000 per year

So if our politics and culture that everyone is complaining about are the reason the state is “circling the drain” then why are we in the top ten for population growth over the last decade and why do Florida and Texas sit in 1 & 2 on the same list?

I’m not saying that there aren’t plenty of things to fix but those of you liberal leaning people constantly whining about the state “circling the drain” and being unlivable aren’t any different than conservatives in IL, CA, NY, etc complaining about those state’s liberal leaders ruining them. Its all extreme melodrama and hyperbole on both sides. It’s pretty clear that your definition of the right answer depends on which side of the aisle you fall on and I’ve been on the site long enough to predict exactly how all of you will answer nearly every time. Though I still haven’t seen a good answer as to how our crazy politicians are the problem yet Florida and Texas have the same crazy politicians but are both killing it growth wise right now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    So if our politics and culture that everyone is complaining about are the reason the state is “circling the drain” then why are we in the top ten for population growth over the last decade and why do Florida and Texas sit in 1 & 2 on the same list?
    We are cheap, cheap, cheap and they are no tax states and also pretty cheap

No income tax states but not no tax states. They get their revenue other ways than income tax.

Do a true comparison of what people pay in taxes. Texas is higher than Oklahoma, I believe. Property taxes are real, I know you are ignoring them in your comment, however.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Do a true comparison of what people pay in taxes. Texas is higher than Oklahoma, I believe. Property taxes are real, I know you are ignoring them in your comment, however.
    Hey, I’m glad you think our near the bottom GDP per person and avg family income is a great thing. Let’s keep cutting education and maybe we can keep driving low paying low skill jobs to our state. Lol

Hey, I’m glad you think our near the bottom GDP per person and avg family income is a great thing. Let’s keep cutting education and maybe we can keep driving low paying low skill jobs to our state. Lol
    There is no anchor tied to your butt keeping you here. If all you do is complain, then from a mental health perspective (for all of us), you can move to liberal bastions you praise like Dallas or Nashville.

I'm not giving the state a pass, by any means. I hate that we are in the mess we are. But being holier-than-thou on a message board isn't going to fix anything. We need to get the future of the state to start caring about these problems. But you waxing poetically about how dumb the state is won't help that. You don't bring discussion points to the table. Just bash the state and anyone who remotely tries defending it, and then move on.

There are plenty of kids in this state that get a good education. Explain that with how horrible people continue to say our education system is. A lot of getting educated is what the student puts into it. And how involved the parents are. Every year graduating classes have honor students and valedictorians. How structured the parents make seeing that their kids are educated is so important. I think single parent homes are a lot to blame as it contributes to a lack of involvement with their kids education. I used to work with a lot if Vietnamese immigrants and their kids were always honor roll students because as parents they took their kids education very serious. I always did good in school because my parents were very involved and made sure I did the work and made the grades. It's not always just throw more money at the education system. Teachers pay? Yes they should get paid more especially with what they have to put up with in the class room these days. We have a niece that is a teacher and some of the stories she tells are unbelievable when it comes to kids behavior in the classrooms. But even more money that won't change a lot of the kids attitude towards learning. It has to start at home.

Blog Entries

Guess I touched a nerve. Lol.

Guess I touched a nerve. Lol.
    You're right. I fed the troll. You win this round.

Thread Information