Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: State Rankings

Default Re: State Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    You may not like the state-level politics, but “the state circling the drain” is just not borne out by census data, bls data, etc.
    I don't know what you're talking about. Oklahoma ranks in the bottom ten in multiple quality of life factors. It is one of the worst states for women, as an example. Maybe folks here are so used to being in the bottom they don't see the problem.

But, to challenge what you're saying about demographics, Oklahoma is not growing outside of the two metro areas, with OKC leading the way. Numerous rural counties are losing population.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about. Oklahoma ranks in the bottom ten in multiple quality of life factors. It is one of the worst states for women, as an example. Maybe folks here are so used to being in the bottom they don't see the problem.

But, to challenge what you're saying about demographics, Oklahoma is not growing outside of the two metro areas, with OKC leading the way. Numerous rural counties are losing population.
    This is true in practically every state.

After living in South Central Florida and DFW for a total of 24 years, I find my home State of Oklahoma is "circling the drain". The rate it is going, Oklahoma could very well become the next Mississippi.

Oklahoma was in the top ten for net domestic migration last year, so some of you need to quit reaching:

https://thehill.com/changing-america...are-moving-to/.

https://www.nar.realtor/blogs/econom...-moved-in-2022

Also, OKC gained over 100,000 residents in the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Oklahoma was in the top ten for net domestic migration last year, so some of you need to quit reaching:

https://thehill.com/changing-america...are-moving-to/.

https://www.nar.realtor/blogs/econom...-moved-in-2022

Also, OKC gained over 100,000 residents in the last decade.
    ^^
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    This state is circling the drain. The only thing keeping it from being sucked into the sewer is the OKC metro, and, to a much lesser extent, Tulsa (kind of but not really with Broken Arrow). But, current leadership is doing everything it possibly can to make Oklahoma as unwelcome, inhospitable, and unlivable of a smoldering hellhole as possible.

I know several people in the medical profession, the arts, and other high-income professions who are fleeing the state in droves right now. Honestly, at my advanced age, I'm tired of arguing with idiots and would really enjoy living somewhere else, where state leadership isn't constantly trolling me and insulting my intelligence and actively working to make my life worse.
    Age comment aside, this is how I feel as well. It's honestly depressing. I'm nearly 40, I've lived in Oklahoma City for 3/4 of my life and met quite a few truly lovely people here. But I've started looking at options for someplace else to go. I'm tired of the politics of this state, the me-vs-them mentality of many lawmakers (ones that keep getting reelected too!), and how hostile things have become here for people I love and care about. Oklahoma will always be home but I want to live somewhere that actually feels welcoming for a change, somewhere where I feel like I actually have a voice in government. And I'm far from alone in that.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Age comment aside, this is how I feel as well. It's honestly depressing. I'm nearly 40, I've lived in Oklahoma City for 3/4 of my life and met quite a few truly lovely people here. But I've started looking at options for someplace else to go. I'm tired of the politics of this state, the me-vs-them mentality of many lawmakers (ones that keep getting reelected too!), and how hostile things have become here for people I love and care about. Oklahoma will always be home but I want to live somewhere that actually feels welcoming for a change, somewhere where I feel like I actually have a voice in government. And I'm far from alone in that.
    I wonder how welcome a conservative would feel in Portland or Seattle. I agree, as a liberal in Oklahoma, it sucks. But if you are a conservative, being in one of those liberal cities will feel the exact same. So if you're hyper-liberal like some on here, then a liberal bastion may be for you.

Most people who vacillate don't really engage in politics, and that is way down there list for a deciding factor to move to or from a state. The main reason why most people move is for jobs, cost of living, education, & quality of life in that order. Not because they don't like or like the governor or legislature.

Texas government and politics are just as bad or if not worse than Oklahoma. But yet they are one of the fastest growing states in the nation. I have friends in Texas who say they can't stand Governor Abbott, and some of the state laws, but yet people still like living there. Governor Abbott receives more backlash from Texans, than Stitt does from Oklahomans.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Most people who vacillate don't really engage in politics, and that is way down there list for a deciding factor to move to or from a state. The main reason why most people move is for jobs, cost of living, education, & quality of life in that order. Not because they don't like or like the governor or legislature.
    This is beautifully said, G.Walker!

This is all part of the "great sorting out" of America, where like-minded people (culturally as much as politically like-minded) gravitate together. It's been this way within cities (there are "liberal" neighborhoods and "conservative" neighborhoods) for some time. Now it's spreading to whole metro areas and whole states. It's corrosive because the more it happens, the more radicalized the cities/states themselves get.

Oddly, Oklahoma City proper, taken as a whole, actually represents one of the more balanced major cities in this country. I project that we may see an "Austin-lite" situation in coming decades. My friends down there call Austin "the blueberry in the tomato soup." (I say "lite" because OKC will never get as liberal as Austin, but I do see it breaching the 50/50 status pretty soon.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    People should quit blaming the information and blame the underlying data. OK is undereducated and poor. It has a huge percentage of unhealthy people who get substandard medical care. It isn’t the fact that now people know this that is the problem. Instead of feeling shame and be determined to do something about it, many Oklahomans are proud of it and want to blame the reporting of it for people being in this situation. SMH.
    Once again, life is how you make it. I suspect one reason Oklahoma is undereducated and poor is because too many Oklahomans grow up with the lack of confidence, they can do better than that, thus, explaining why Oklahoma ranks in the 40s in so many ways when it comes to the standard of living. I also suspect a good number of Oklahomans have successfully sought higher paying jobs, knowing if they don't try, they will never know, if they can have a much higher paying job.

Sorry, meant to follow up, but life intervened …

These are the top 10 states that people are moving to according to The National Association of Realtors.
    Investors use these figures to gauge where and how they will invest their holdings and where to grow their businesses.
    10. Oklahoma
    9. Alabama
    8. Idaho
    7. Arizona
    6. Georgia
    5. Tennessee
    4. South Carolina
    3. North Carolina
    2. Texas
    1. Florida

We know that the US News survey was heavily weighted towards health and education. At last check, OK had the highest, by far, number of Native Americans. And for whatever reason, Native Americans suffer more than any other ethnic group in these two areas. Not just an Oklahoma thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    We know that the US News survey was heavily weighted towards health and education. At last check, OK had the highest, by far, number of Native Americans. And for whatever reason, Native Americans suffer more than any other ethnic group in these two areas. Not just an Oklahoma thing.
    Go read the OKC grades for high schools in OK and quit blaming a particular race for Oklahoma’s poor funding, administration and support of education.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    This is all part of the "great sorting out" of America, where like-minded people (culturally as much as politically like-minded) gravitate together. It's been this way within cities (there are "liberal" neighborhoods and "conservative" neighborhoods) for some time. Now it's spreading to whole metro areas and whole states. It's corrosive because the more it happens, the more radicalized the cities/states themselves get.

Oddly, Oklahoma City proper, taken as a whole, actually represents one of the more balanced major cities in this country. I project that we may see an "Austin-lite" situation in coming decades. My friends down there call Austin "the blueberry in the tomato soup." (I say "lite" because OKC will never get as liberal as Austin, but I do see it breaching the 50/50 status pretty soon.)
    Why do people here think education and health are political issues? Do conservatives want people to stay uneducated, uninformed, and at risk of dying early or having debilitating health problems that could be avoided?

Not blaming an ethnic group. Just hinting at a logical explanation in a country in which California kids are sucking at math and reading.

Why do people here think education and health are political issues? Do conservatives want people to stay uneducated, uninformed, and at risk of dying early or having debilitating health problems that could be avoided?
    I actually think health and education fall under the "cultural" rather than the "political." It's not that conservatives "want" people to stay uneducated, uninformed and unhealthy. But they are more likely to say those are individual choices and society at large should butt out. "Just let me eat my extra-large value meal from fast food drive thru in peace." Or "I don't NEED to go to college. You can make $50K a year in a call center and that's good enough to get by in Oklahoma." These attitudes are not necessarily political. They are cultural.

Are Native Americans unhealthy from eating extra-large value meals from fast food drive-ins and telling other people to bugger off about it ?

Are Native Americans unhealthy from eating extra-large value meals from fast food drive-ins and telling other people to bugger off about it ?
    I'm not sure if that was directed at me but I have never said one thing about Native Americans.

I'm not sure if that was directed at me but I have never said one thing about Native Americans.
    It was directed to your caricature of the unhealthy person. That aside from my suggestion that the poor health outcomes of Native Americans is bound to impact on health rankings in the state in which they are most abundant.

It was directed to your caricature of the unhealthy person. That aside from my suggestion that the poor health outcomes of Native Americans is bound to impact on health rankings in the state in which they are most abundant.
    I suppose I understand your point, but in my experience, anybody from any ethnic or socioeconomic group can make unhealthy choices. And people generally have the agency to choose to make healthy choices as well. There are issues of food deserts in low-income neighborhoods and that is a correlation that can often be made.

Getting back to the topic of the "great sorting" (which is my little subtopic in this larger thread) though. Most people tend to replicate the behaviors of those they associate with. If you have ten friends that run marathons, and you are around them and their habits all the time, you're more likely to be healthy. If all of your friends are 50-pounds overweight and your social experiences involve huge dinners, then there you go. You can extrapolate that to issues of education (if all your friends or most of your neighborhood strives for higher education, you are more likely to)

Where it evolves into a political discussion is when people's political preferences become so much the topic of conversation and lifestyle that that becomes one of those factors like heath and education.

I suppose I understand your point, but in my experience, anybody from any ethnic or socioeconomic group can make unhealthy choices. And people generally have the agency to choose to make healthy choices as well. There are issues of food deserts in low-income neighborhoods and that is a correlation that can often be made.

Getting back to the topic of the "great sorting" (which is my little subtopic in this larger thread) though. Most people tend to replicate the behaviors of those they associate with. If you have ten friends that run marathons, and you are around them and their habits all the time, you're more likely to be healthy. If all of your friends are 50-pounds overweight and your social experiences involve huge dinners, then there you go. You can extrapolate that to issues of education (if all your friends or most of your neighborhood strives for higher education, you are more likely to)

Where it evolves into a political discussion is when people's political preferences become so much the topic of conversation and lifestyle that that becomes one of those factors like heath and education.
    I’m doing my part to steer the discussion away from the two political, neither of which I see as brimming with solutions.

Aside: I’m a former fitness trainer, former because I lost my faith in a clear correlation between diet and health.

I actually think health and education fall under the "cultural" rather than the "political." It's not that conservatives "want" people to stay uneducated, uninformed and unhealthy. But they are more likely to say those are individual choices and society at large should butt out. "Just let me eat my extra-large value meal from fast food drive thru in peace." Or "I don't NEED to go to college. You can make $50K a year in a call center and that's good enough to get by in Oklahoma." These attitudes are not necessarily political. They are cultural.
    Right. The state of Okie culture in regard to education and health show where it's at from the rejection by voters of a penny rise in state sales tax for education and just barely passed expanded Medicaid. Rural vs urban culture figures in.

Go read the OKC grades for high schools in OK and quit blaming a particular race for Oklahoma’s poor funding, administration and support of education.
    the most liberal school board and district in the state has the worst schools .. .shocking i tell you

Thread Information