Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: May 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: May 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Anyone catch Hank getting caught in the middle of that weak tornado a little while ago on channel 9?

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    I apologize for my insensitivity. I didn't mean to come across this way. The news had me to believe the storm was weakening.

Stay safe.
    My apologies for sounding rude. I was in the heat of torrential downpours and tornado sirens all around me. I shouldn't have been rude, and I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    Anyone catch Hank getting caught in the middle of that weak tornado a little while ago on channel 9?
    Hahaha. Yeah. “He knew it was a small tornado.”

Yeah…you got lucky in that situation and you know it it. Lolol.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Anon, anyone have any info on that Chickasha storm?
    Headed ENE like all the storms. Will go into Dibble area.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    My apologies for sounding rude. I was in the heat of torrential downpours and tornado sirens all around me. I shouldn't have been rude, and I apologize.
    No worries. I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Headed ENE like all the storms. Will go into Dibble area.
    Good enough. ENE to Dibble isn't toward us. My family wants out of the Fraidy hole Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Val is driving like a freaking idiot.
    Which channel is Val on?

Just got out of the storm cellar at my mom's house and we can see the backside of the complex of storms. The electrical display is quite phenomenal, as are the mammatus clouds trailing the formation. It's nice to.see clearing skies to the west.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Which channel is Val on?
    News 9. I can’t recall a time I’ve ever seen a storm chaser drive like that while on live.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    News 9. I can’t recall a time I’ve ever seen a storm chaser drive like that while on live.
    Same here. They need to be putting those guys in better positions. With the technology we have and the local knowledge of the area, they need to put him on side roads that can have him miss the non local traffic.

What was the traffic? It is possible that it was other chasers. The chaser convergence on 3-4 cells can get crazy when that is the only game in town.

There were hundreds of them today camped in the Lawton area and rode up with the storms.

^

How does storm chasing work?

Does Channel 9 and the other stations pay these people?

And some just do it for fun?

Bumping since the storms are out of the viewing area, generally speaking.

A couple of things from today.

1. The HRRR did a poor job overall in predicting the weather today. It couldn’t settle in on a pattern until the storms were already firing. The NAM did a much better job.

2. All the models over emphasized northern okc all the way through until the even started. I suspect that the cloud cover and the late push from the low was the reason for this.

Moving on to tomorrow: the NAM is going nuts with CAPE. Suggesting over 6000 for the okc area. The HRRR and the NAM are wildly different in the storm patterns, but I’m leaning towards the NAM for now as the HRRR has been off lately. Model parameters don’t look half bad for tornadoes. I suspect we’ll need to watch tomorrow carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

You have a cluster of paid news guys, researchers, students, hobbyist, tour groups, thrill seekers, and basically anyone wanting to post to social media or throw flashy lights all over their car.

From an emergency response perspective, it makes things a huge PIA.

Yes the TV station chasers are employees and paid. But there are thousands of amateur chasers that are just weather nerds. Many of them are photographers and get paid via streaming and obviously for selling photographs and videos. But that business isn’t very lucrative since the tech is in everyone’s hands now. And unless your video is particularly unique (like getting directly hit by a tornado) you won’t be selling footage to any major outlets since they can just use their network of sister stations.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

My understanding is the storm chasers that are shown on the various news stations are paid by the stations. The rest are a mix of people chasing for the fun of it, people looking to make money from taking and selling or licensing pictures/video of the storms, and researchers/meteorologists/students.

Just for the record the high today in OKC was 80. Yes it stayed cloudy until 4 and I do think it helped some it could of been even worse but sometime it don't take much heating to get thing done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    He recently had a newspaper story written about him: https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/lo...42f676f1f.html

Disappointed in the rainfall totals across the state after predictions of 2-3” this week. I think the low out west moved too far north and the cut off low to the east mostly missed OK. Hopefully the low moving up from TX this weekend delivers.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    My understanding is the storm chasers that are shown on the various news stations are paid by the stations. The rest are a mix of people chasing for the fun of it, people looking to make money from taking and selling or licensing pictures/video of the storms, and researchers/meteorologists/students.
    This is a cool site that shows storm chasers all over the US and their live streams. Some are paid some are just doing it for fun, but we like to watch it for the first hand viewing, but you can also tell where the real danger areas are because they will start congregating around the areas with highest chance of forming tornado's.

https://www.severestudios.com/livechase/

Looks like todays event will impact…yet again…the south and southeastern part of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Disappointed in the rainfall totals across the state after predictions of 2-3” this week. I think the low out west moved too far north and the cut off low to the east mostly missed OK. Hopefully the low moving up from TX this weekend delivers.
    I got 1.36 inches at my house yesterday.

I tried to go fish lake Hefner this morning and the water is so low, I was nervous about backing my trailer right off the end of the ramp to launch the boat. Last time I saw it this low was 9 years ago. We need a bunch of rain right now.

South Metro be ready again starting around 5 pm

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Man guys, I’m struggling with this one today. I’ve been outside and my “okie senses” aren’t tingling (great scientific term there lol). All we need is a bit of clearing out but it currently doesn’t feel all that conducive for storms out there at the moment (north side of okc).
    This morning felt much more like it could be a bad day.

Thread Information