Widgets Magazine

Thread: Steve's Wholesale Tools Closing

Default Steve's Wholesale Tools Closing

I just drove by the S. Santa Fe location of Steve's Wholesale Tools and saw a big "Store Closing" banner out front.

Anyone heard any details why? They'd survived the Lowes/HD era for years selling better quality stuff so maybe its a matter of retiring or ???

Default Re: Steve's Wholesale Tools Closing

Dang! I just hate to see these, no matter what industry, small businesses closed and gone.

That's interesting. I know Steve does more than just tools - he at least used to own a lot of shopping centers/retail spaces (like the Southwestern Plaza and such).

Apparently he owned Steve's Pawn at 801 SW 29th in OKC, and apparently it's closed.

My brother knew Steve as well as his Dad, I asked him if he knew anything and he replied he hadn't talked to either in quite a few years.

So I' m just wondering if he decided to/needed to retire, or has passed. No idea, google search hasn't shown much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    Apparently he owned Steve's Pawn at 801 SW 29th in OKC, and apparently it's closed.

My brother knew Steve as well as his Dad, I asked him if he knew anything and he replied he hadn't talked to either in quite a few years.

So I' m just wondering if he decided to/needed to retire, or has passed. No idea, google search hasn't shown much.
    To to best of my knowledge, as of a few weeks ago, Steve is fine. At one time I think it was his goal to retire at 40 but he's just a tad late. I was employed there in the early years and later managed 89er pawn, an enterprise he still owns. I can't find any information on the South Walker store but will speak to former co-workers and see what is up. It is sad to see this great small business close but many of my former Steve's coworkers raised great families working for a fair, honest man, who was a public servant early in his career, prior to opening these enterprises. Thanks to Steve for making South Oklahoma City a better, and wealthier place. Please let your Dad know that we lost Steve's Dad, Richard (Dick) Cupit about a decade ago. His Step-father, Marvin hqd passed several years prior.

Sorry, your brother.

Brother was just saying that he remembers and bought from Cupits Meat Market in Perkins back in the mid-late 70's, and thinks they also operated a restaurant in Perkins at around that time.

Saw the sign last week too. Hoping to go check it out this afternoon and see if there are any items I can't live without.

I hope another dispensary doesn't go in there, seems to be the only things opening up lately. There's already 4 of them at the corner of SW89th and Santa Fe... enough is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    That's interesting. I know Steve does more than just tools - he at least used to own a lot of shopping centers/retail spaces (like the Southwestern Plaza and such).
    My dad was on the OCPD with Steve and they used to live a few houses apart. Steve owned most of the local pawn shops that weren't chains and he owned the shopping center at SW 59th and Western. He started with the pawn shop on SW 29th and Western when the owner left it to him. Steve used to work security there while he was on the OCPD and when the owner of the shop died he left the shop to Steve. I don't think he had any family to leave it to. This is what I remember my dad telling me as a kid. His empire grew from there.

Went in last week. Store isn't empty, but certainly isn't full either. Lots of stuff on sale, 10% off at the register above that.

They do not yet know the final date.

Thread Information