Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bed Bath And Beyond

Default Re: Bed Bath And Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I haven't kept up with bbb so I don't know if ownership has changed or leadership/ceo has changed but I went into one a few years back and it was not the same store I remembered.

In the 90s and early 2000s it had decent stuff, the design and layout seemed to be well thought out and items arranged in an appealing manner. After having not been in several years I was surprised to find it looking overstuffed with a lot of what appeared to be junk items. It's as if someone took the the crap you see at the checkout area of stores and made a whole business out of it. There looked to be no rhyme or reason to how the layout was done. Things just jammed in here and there just because.
    Always struck me as the place you go to find the "As seen on TV" merchandise

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Went to the one on 63th last Thursday about 3pm and ghost town. I was the only one in there. Also first time in a few years been in one and noticed it's mostly bedding now. They didn't seem to have any cool gadgets all over the place like they used too.
    The only reason we still went was to exchange our CO2 cartridges for our Sodastream, and when we went last weekend to do it they weren't even doing that anymore. It had gotten frustrating in that they did away with all but one manned check out, but you can't do the cartridge exchange at the self-checkout. That's probably the last time we'll ever step foot in there, sadly, as we look for a new exchange option.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Always struck me as the place you go to find the "As seen on TV" merchandise
    True. But they did have some nicer stuff in there as well, between all of the Shark Tank gimmicks. I remember that was my first step up while climbing the economic ladder after stabilizing from moving out. Moving from Walmart and Target household items (bedding, dish sets, silverware etc.) to stuff we could afford from Bed Bath and Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    The only reason we still went was to exchange our CO2 cartridges for our Sodastream, and when we went last weekend to do it they weren't even doing that anymore. It had gotten frustrating in that they did away with all but one manned check out, but you can't do the cartridge exchange at the self-checkout. That's probably the last time we'll ever step foot in there, sadly, as we look for a new exchange option.
    Good to know. I decided to finally start shipping mine in for exchange since I now have enough canisters to get free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Like I said earlier in this thread, Pre and post Covid BB&B are two completely different stores as far as the layout and what they stock now.
    Last time I went was pre covid. Maybe 2018 or somewhere around there. It was pretty terrible then. If it's worse now, I can't imagine. Like someone said earlier, it's the kind of place that sells as seen on TV stuff.

Last time I went was pre covid. Maybe 2018 or somewhere around there. It was pretty terrible then. If it's worse now, I can't imagine. Like someone said earlier, it's the kind of place that sells as seen on TV stuff.
    They only had some of that kind of stuff up by the cash registers. The rest of the store always had a large selection of Kitchen, bathroom, bedroom merchandise. Also a good selection of small kitchen appliances, utensils, pots/pans, cutlery. It was a nice store to shop in for years before Covid.

7. Default Re: Bed Bath And Beyond

I agree with you. Before COVID there was about a 20 by 40 foot area in front of the store that really wasn't home stuff. Just as seen on TV type stuff.

Looks like the curtain is dropping on this one

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/23/busin...tcy/index.html

Use your coupons now

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/23/busin...ure/index.html

This will open three more vacant big box stores.

Edmond - 2nd and Bryant
    OKC - 63rd and May
    Norman - I-35 and Lindsey/Main

Party City also announced bankruptcy earlier this year.

Kohls had their debt rating downgraded by Moody's.

Yet, we continue to build big box stores, including a brand new big box center at 178th and Portland.

The weird thing is they just remodeled that May Ave location not too long ago.

11. Default Re: Bed Bath And Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    The weird thing is they just remodeled that May Ave location not too long ago.
    But what the company has been putting into the stores for the last 5 years has been crap. They didn't pivot well during COVID. They lowered the quality of their product offerings and to be honest, you can get the same stuff at Target/Walmart these days in a lot of the cases. They became a brand that no longer differentiated themselves from the competitors. Think KMart. Bad management and poor offerings comes out as bankruptcy.

I think Kohls will still be able to bounce back, but it really depends on if they maintain a certain level of product. If they do what Penny's did and start cheapening things, then they also won't stand out and will suffer the same fate. I think they over planned that having people come in for Amazon returns was going to get them more in sales as people walked out (it didn't happen). I used that coupon a couple of times to get a couple small things here and there where I spend $1 or 2, but the can't survive on that scrap. I mean when i get workout gear that's already on clearance, for $1....hey that's a win for me

But before we go panicking about big box spaces being empty, there really are very few of these left empty for long around the city. They're either razed and rebuilt as something else, split up, or just flat re-leased. But I wouldn't consider BBB a big-box either. Walmart is a big box. BBB is an oversized strip mall slip. Michaels, for example, would easily fit into that space. So i'm not worried in the least about the handful of BBB spots being gobbled up.

12. Default Re: Bed Bath And Beyond

I always liked BBB. But the products can be bought elsewhere.

Kohl's next? Went in there for the first time in about 2 years. Their prices are crazy expensive selection is so so.

I'm surprised that Penney's is still in business. Shocked, actually.

I wish the PGA Superstore would consider going in this location instead of Memorial & May/Penn area.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    This will open three more vacant big box stores.

Edmond - 2nd and Bryant
    OKC - 63rd and May
    Norman - I-35 and Lindsey/Main

Party City also announced bankruptcy earlier this year.

Kohls had their debt rating downgraded by Moody's.

Yet, we continue to build big box stores, including a brand new big box center at 178th and Portland.
    The Norman BBB was closed the last downsizing.

I'm a hoarder of BBB coupons cause even with, their crap is too expensive. Big Lots all the way!

Sadly, happens all the time now, capitalism run amok.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Kohl's next? Went in there for the first time in about 2 years. Their prices are crazy expensive selection is so so.
    The Kohl’s thing saddens me the most. They used to be really good. Clean stores. Happy employees. Cool products. The Kohl’s cash and coupons were very useful. It’s like they just stopped caring. I was shocked last time I went to the Edmond location.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Sadly, happens all the time now, capitalism run amok.
    Wall Street isn't capitalism. It is a virus destroying any economic system it touches.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Wall Street isn't capitalism. It is a virus destroying any economic system it touches.
    Yes, agreed, that's why I added "amok".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Sorry, but it isn’t Wall Street, it’s poor management of companies, cheap money, and greedy demands from certain shareholders. Wall Street provides a necessary function for capitalism to work. The fact that greedy people play the system or make stupid decisions, and shareholders keep allowing them to do it is an indictment of everyone. It’s like people blaming the government when they keep voting in stupid and corrupt politicians because they are too lazy to work to find good representation. They problem is we all are complicit in making it happen and we keep wanting to just blame others and the institutions we barely even understand.

They were spending all their money to prop up their stock price to keep institutional investors happy. How is that not Wall Street?

Blog Entries

What exactly is "Wall Street" in your mind? It is a huge aggregation that includes all kinds of necessary and well functioning financial services and infrastructure. The fact that individuals abuse the system to their own advantages is not an indictment of the entire system. That's as lazy as calling things "woke" because you don't exactly know what it is or what it includes. Individuals and organizations scam not only each other and their constituents through mechanisms included in in the financial system, but it doesn't damn the system, it damns those that are bad actors and those that sit around and allow it to happen. Gun owners love to say guns don't kill people, people kill people. In the same way, Wall Street doesn't harm people, people IN Wall Street harm people and people who USE Wall Street to carry out their nefarious deeds harm people. This country loves to point fingers and discredit whole institutions instead of policing the people USING the systems in an unethical or illegal way.

Thread Information