Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

I set my cruise at 5-10 over on the interstate. I gladly move over to accomadate drivers wanting to go faster. I find them to be chum for the radar cops.

Because I'm old, I remember when the "new" section of Broadway Extension around Britton Road opened up. Maybe 1990ish? The Oklahoman had moved to their new office building on the east side of the Extension and E. L. Gaylord was still living. Seems like it was 4 lanes each direction for about 5 miles and people were having a great time racing up and down the road. Mr. Gaylord (or his minons) were so bothered by all the speeders that they ran front page stories every couple days about how out of control the scofflaws were and the risk to safety and society! I recall it wasn't a month before the road was narrowed to 3 lanes and we had a 30 foot shoulder on the left.

3. Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

I stay out of the left lane most of the time. The only problem I do have is in fairly heavy traffic when I'm going 10 to 15 over and am in the left lane because I am passing other vehicles every few seconds. Then someone comes up behind me going 10 faster than I am. I have to find an opening in the lane to my right, move into it and slow down. Then move back and speed back up. That's inconveniencing me. Why does the fastest driver get to inconvenience me so they won't be inconvenienced? Also, in this scenario there's always a line of cars in the left lane going the speed I am. The faster guy isn't going to get past all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    As long as you stay out of the left lane, we won't have a problem.
    I know the rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I stay out of the left lane most of the time. The only problem I do have is in fairly heavy traffic when I'm going 10 to 15 over and am in the left lane because I am passing other vehicles every few seconds. Then someone comes up behind me going 10 faster than I am. I have to find an opening in the lane to my right, move into it and slow down. Then move back and speed back up. That's inconveniencing me. Why does the fastest driver get to inconvenience me so they won't be inconvenienced? Also, in this scenario there's always a line of cars in the left lane going the speed I am. The faster guy isn't going to get past all of them.
    It's mostly about safety. Passing on the right is more dangerous than passing on the left, so forcing faster cars to pass on the right is making the road less safe for everyone.

So, it's about relative speed, not speed limits. For example, in your scenario, you decided it's okay for you to speed by 10-15 mph, but not for someone to speed more than you. I'm not sure how one could write a statute guided by safety to consider that.

People exceed the limits for all kinds of reasons. Unfortunately, we can not poll them individually in real time as to their reasons, so it's best just to follow safety protocols, and the law, to allow them to pass on the left.

6. Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Read - impede NORMAL flow of traffic.
    Yes, and "normal" has no definition in the law. Meaning the cop can construe it however they want to.

I could get a bug up my butt saying "well this guy is driving faster than the normal flow of traffic, and if a cop gives me a ticket, I'll take it to court and argue that the guy behind me wasn't part of the normal flow of traffic, and if the court rules against me I'll appeal, and..."

Or I could change lanes.

I know which one takes less time and effort.

Does not give rights to the speeders who try to intimidate others and insist they drive dangerously and against the law. It does not legalize tailgating at high speeds. The law isn’t designed to create a free runway for those that ignore traffic laws and common sense safety.
    If someone wants around you and you are not actively passing someone else, why sit there and impede them? You are going to teach them a lesson? The law isn't designed to deputize random motorists to determine what a safe or unsafe speed on the interstate is.

8. Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    It's mostly about safety. Passing on the right is more dangerous than passing on the left, so forcing faster cars to pass on the right is making the road less safe for everyone.

So, it's about relative speed, not speed limits. For example, in your scenario, you decided it's okay for you to speed by 10-15 mph, but not for someone to speed more than you. I'm not sure how one could write a statute guided by safety to consider that.

People exceed the limits for all kinds of reasons. Unfortunately, we can not poll them individually in real time as to their reasons, so it's best just to follow safety protocols, and the law, to allow them to pass on the left.
    I didn't intend to say or imply that in the scenario I was more okay than the faster driver. And I only used the speed limit as a point of reference.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    In the past few weeks it seems speed on Broadway Extension is out of control. I was cruising along at 70mph but many drivers were exceeding 80 mph. Wild, wild west.
    Name:  f0d7dfc5-4fad-4112-9609-cf33a38c63dc_text.gif
Views: 413
Size:  82.8 KB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    If someone wants around you and you are not actively passing someone else, why sit there and impede them? You are going to teach them a lesson? The law isn't designed to deputize random motorists to determine what a safe or unsafe speed on the interstate is.
    Nor is the law designed to approve a non regulated speeding lane that ignores speed limits and vIolation of safety regulations. It does not prioritize willful violators of the law, no matter how righteous they may believe they are.

It does not prioritize willful violators of the law, no matter how righteous they may believe they are.
    This is correct. The law does not statutorily prioritize speeding, tailgating, or impediment.

The irony is that when someone impedes traffic in the left lane out of a sense of righteousness, they're slowing would be speeders down and are now the only one committing a violation.

The only truly righteous driver would be the one going the speed limit while allowing traffic to pass on the left, but those don't exist. lol

12. Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

My comment ended up as the last one on the previous page, so it's not really seen now, but i think it still stands here.

1 - its not your job to decide if they are allowed to go faster than you.
    2- the signs don't say "normal", they say move. Don't create an issue because you don't "like it". Move over, or deal with the road rage that comes from it.

I'm not on any high horse here, but we have just enough room in our traffic on a road like this, for people to get fast and angry, quickly. I44 in the afternoon, well there's no room to get pissy when everyone is going 40mph bumper to bumper and then stop-and-go. Something about the freedom to go fast, seems to entitle people to want to tell others how to drive. Leave that to the officers and keep yourself safe.

In this scenario just stay in the left lane. You are actively passing people (using the left lane correctly.) Just because someone decides to drive 90 mph doesn't mean that every car in front of them traveling at a slower speed has to immediately jump out of their way so they never have to tap the brakes. People driving in heavy traffic may not be able to go exactly as fast as they want at all times. This happens to literally everyone driving in traffic. They will survive.

I didn't intend to say or imply that in the scenario I was more okay than the faster driver. And I only used the speed limit as a point of reference.
    I just meant to say that it's relative, not absolute, and used your scenario as an example. Didn't intend it as a call out, but I can see how it'd be read that way. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    In this scenario just stay in the left lane...
    That is, until you can safely move to the right to let the faster traffic pass safely on the left.

That is, until you can safely move to the right to let the faster traffic pass safely on the left.
    Yes, but I was talking about Bill squeezing himself back into the right lane between cars and being forced to slow down to let someone behind him pass on a crowded interstate. If you are actively overtaking cars in the right lane just keep on cruising in the left. The speed the person wants to go behind you is not your concern.

I can only assume the left lane speederistas must have excellent radar detectors?

Of course, their goose is cooked if the cops have Lidar.

Blog Entries

This is correct. The law does not statutorily prioritize speeding, tailgating, or impediment.

The irony is that when someone impedes traffic in the left lane out of a sense of righteousness, they're slowing would be speeders down and are now the only one committing a violation.

The only truly righteous driver would be the one going the speed limit while allowing traffic to pass on the left, but those don't exist. lol
    The law does not MAKE people go above the speed limit, it PROHIBITs it. If someone is in the left lane and is going the speed LIMIT, and they are doing so passing slower traffic in the right lane, they are under NO OBLIGATION to accommodate violators who think they have the right to willfully ignore the rules. If they are not going faster than the traffic in the right lane and are not going at or very near the speed limit, they are violating any law. Those who speed and then try to pass on the right are VIOLATING the law. For some reason, arrogant speeders just presume it is their RIGHT to speed and to make all other make it convenient for them to do so. All these comments are from those more interested in BREAKING THE LAW by trying to intimidate other drivers than ENFORCING A LEGITIMATE law aimed at enabling safety, not abetting law breakers. It is amazing how many on here are trying to demonize people observing the law while justifying those breaking the law. It is just arrogance. Drivers that BULLY are BULLIES. Tailgating at high speeds is BULLYING with a LETHAL WEAPON.

The law does not MAKE people go above the speed limit, it PROHIBITs it. If someone is in the left lane and is going the speed LIMIT, and they are doing so passing slower traffic in the right lane, they are under NO OBLIGATION to accommodate violators who think they have the right to willfully ignore the rules. If they are not going faster than the traffic in the right lane and are not going at or very near the speed limit, they are violating any law. Those who speed and then try to pass on the right are VIOLATING the law. For some reason, arrogant speeders just presume it is their RIGHT to speed and to make all other make it convenient for them to do so. All these comments are from those more interested in BREAKING THE LAW by trying to intimidate other drivers than ENFORCING A LEGITIMATE law aimed at enabling safety, not abetting law breakers. It is amazing how many on here are trying to demonize people observing the law while justifying those breaking the law. It is just arrogance. Drivers that BULLY are BULLIES. Tailgating at high speeds is BULLYING with a LETHAL WEAPON.
    Yeah man, stand your ground at all cost! LOL. You seem like a prime candidate to be the recipient of some road rage! Okay, so joking aside, I hope you don't end up a victim of one of these whacko drivers and getting slammed into a center median or shot at point blank by one of these many gun-toting drivers because you were doing what you believe was morally right. We see this stuff in the news all to many times. I don't think people on here are condoning road rage, I think they're just saying it's not worth being drawn into a road rage incident because you think you're somehow swallowing your pride in moving over to allow someone to pass you. That is true arrogance.

You speak the truth that tailgating at high speeds is bullying with a lethal weapon. But the fact of the matter is, is that it's not worth it to engage with some crazed driver that's willing to tailgate you at those speeds. They're already putting you and all other vehicles around you in danger when they do that so why escalate it unless you're some sort of crazy, too. You'll only instigate more rage and allow yourself or other occupants in vehicles around you to get hurt or killed in the reaction when sure, you weren't the cause of it, but you're just as guilty in it as a catalyst that could have backed down and defused a real problem.....all by just getting over. That's the real hero in my book.

I don't ever engage. It's just not worth it.

20. Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Just went through a thing on the way back from lunch. I44 southbound between NW Exp and I40 where it's 4 lanes. I was in lane 3 getting about 70. The left lane was going closer to 80 and there was a long line of cars going that speed in the left lane (lane 4). A big black truck came up behind the line of cars going approximately 90. They couldn't all move to the right. So he missed my front bumper by inches and started weaving between all 4 lanes to get through. This is a case where the one guy just needs to chill out.

that is not the way the law is written or the intent of the law ..

22. Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    that is not the way the law is written or the intent of the law ..
    I don't think the intent of the law is that one, repeat one, guy wanting to go 90 gets to control how the thousand other cars on a stretch of highway have to drive to accommodate him.

No one is trying to demonize people observing the law while justifying those breaking the law. If you really want to get technical about the law, driving in the left lane except when passing is breaking the law, but clearly that's hard to always enforce, especially on an urban stretch of freeway like the one we're discussing.

Left-lane driving ban now the law

That means left-lane driving is now illegal even if a motorist approaches from behind while exceeding the speed limit, [Trooper Dwight] Durant said.

"You are obligated to obey the state law," Durant said. "That is not your responsibility to worry about that other person."
    That's why the signs say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" with no reference to the speed limit.

But, regardless of the law, allowing faster traffic to pass on the left is the safest option, which is what should guide driving decisions. Those who make driving decisions based on contempt for other drivers are just putting everyone, including themselves, at greater risk.

I don't think the intent of the law is that one, repeat one, guy wanting to go 90 gets to control how the thousand other cars on a stretch of highway have to drive to accommodate him.
    Correct. Because it is not based on accommodation. It's based on safety. Forcing the 90 mph jackass to make more lane changes puts those thousands of other cars on that stretch of highway at greater risk than just simply letting him pass on the left. The laws exist to protect everyone else from the jackass.

Well written BDP, yes. This exactly. Thank you.

Thread Information