Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: January 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: January 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Wednesday night Thursday morning might be really ugly. Major ice storm for North Texas Southern Oklahoma. OKC metro as of now just on the northern edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I agree. FV3 is the only one really showing much of anything. But all of my employees are asking if we'll be closed because the TV forecasts are predicting much more than the models are showing.
    Looks like TV forecasts should have gone with the models. Most schools and even OKC trash pickup cancelled.

Probably a little over-reaction because yesterday turned out to be pretty bad. Not a big deal and better to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Focusing in on Tuesday, January 31st as the day that will most likely have the most travel impacts.
    Swing and a miss on my part.

After this week the pattern favors warmer weather with rain chances across the state around 2/8 and again 2/13.

Just add "in the DFW area" and you'd have been correct.

what are we looking at for the next 48 hours??

7. Default Re: January 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Yesterday's drive home and this morning's drive to work were fun to see the difference in amounts.
    N of Wilshire & W of Rockwell got solid coverage of a half inch or so of sleet. Our street was a rink this morning.
    From somewhere E Rockwell to somewhere W of Council between NW 39th and Wilshire got virtually nothing. Neighborhood streets were dry yesterday afternoon in that area.
    Near WRWA we got enough to turn the parking lots white but you could still see paint markings so I'd guess a tenth of an inch maybe. And it evaporated over night.

Some light sleet pockets coming into OKC right now, nothing major.

Rest of Tuesday and Wednesday AM is just cold.

Wednesday afternoon into evening we will see large swath of light rain slowly coming up from TX, this will most likely be freezing drizzle and light freezing rain. Models are very iffy on if this would make it far enough north to impact OKC. I will post some QPF forecasts below. As you can see, OKC is literally on the edge for this storm being done.

I know many of you think I hate the schools for closing but I was ok with them being closed today. It was going to be too close of a call. The Precipitation tried to form but didn't quite make it into the metro and formed just east once again If it would of happen roads would of been bad. Now tomorrow no excuse for them not to be open. Also know a few business closed today not really sure about that either. Thursday morning expect them to be closed again.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I know many of you think I hate the schools for closing but I was ok with them being closed today. It was going to be too close of a call. The Precipitation tried to form but didn't quite make it into the metro and formed just east once again If it would of happen roads would of been bad. Now tomorrow no excuse for them not to be open. Also know a few business closed today not really sure about that either. Thursday morning expect them to be closed again.
    Umm, looking at the weather for Thursday, it is going to be just cloudy so schools and businesses are not going to be closed

11. Default Re: January 2023 - General Weather Discussion

At least in my neighborhood the roads are all still ice. I could see schools being closed tomorrow since buses could have issues in neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    At least in my neighborhood the roads are all still ice. I could see schools being closed tomorrow since buses could have issues in neighborhoods.
    OKCPS is a snow day tomorrow, meaning no virtual, just off.

Yeah, my boss just told me that schools are closed tomorrow

Yeah I spoke too soon schools closed already for tomorrow. I know there might be a few neighborhoods bad out there but REALLY? Going to have dry weather all night and all during the day tomorrow. The sun is even trying to poke out.

And your neighborhood is where? I'm just southeast of Lake Overholster on a street that never gets plowed or treated and I have nothing. I drove all around the city today on a few neighborhood roads. I was out and about but I saw nothing. I have a friend in Edmond says his street is pretty iced but he lives kind of what I would call the country even though it's Edmond. I see on the OCPS page it's cause of the weather expected tomorrow even that that is not coming in into late in the day.

I just saw that there will possibly be ice tonight

Latest HRRR shows no more precipitation making it to OKC.

Man, what a strange couple of weeks for weather forecasting we have had.

Oh well. Looking forward to the kids going back to school after tomorrow. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Man, what a strange couple of weeks for weather forecasting we have had.

Oh well. Looking forward to the kids going back to school after tomorrow. Lol
    LOL I need that. There is an .5 inch in the forecast for ice they not going back to school the rest of the week. I mean have you been out there tonight and seen how horrible things are.

I don’t know about anyone else’s neighborhood but I live at Wilshire and County Line and our neighborhood streets are still garbage. I can see justification for school closure. My son is also up at UCO which is a big commuter college and the side roads around there are bad too. Getting to main roads where it is essentially dry is the issue. Any melting during day is frozen as I about bit it on my driveway this am.

Don’t understand the passionate distaste toward schools being closed.

Quote Originally Posted by NikonNurse View Post
    I don’t know about anyone else’s neighborhood but I live at Wilshire and County Line and our neighborhood streets are still garbage. I can see justification for school closure. My son is also up at UCO which is a big commuter college and the side roads around there are bad too. Getting to main roads where it is essentially dry is the issue. Any melting during day is frozen as I about bit it on my driveway this am.

If you ever lived up north you would understand. There will be inches of snow on the ground and roads and you still go to school. If for some reason a bus couldn't make it down a road you were asked to take you kids to the nearest main road for pick up. Out in the country that could be a mile or two. But I get it no one down here knows how to drive on just a little bit of icy roads. It's called going really slow and you will be just fine.

If you ever lived up north you would understand. There will be inches of snow on the ground and roads and you still go to school. If for some reason a bus couldn't make it down a road you were asked to take you kids to the nearest main road for pick up. Out in the country that could be a mile or two. But I get it no one down here knows how to drive on just a little bit of icy roads. It's called going really slow and you will be just fine.
    Its cultural. We don't have the infrastructure as people up north do and the people down here don't have the experience and knowledge to feel confident or succeed on driving on slick roads. People here also potentially don't have the winter gear to go out for extended periods of time. In my family we all have coats that are fine enough, but if its particularly cold we aren't staying outside very long. I wouldn't want my kids standing on the side of a road waiting for pick up. You can just say "do it like they do up north" and expect that to happen seamlessly.

Comparatively, we are much more prepared for severe weather than a lot of other areas. We know what to look for, we know how to react, we know where to go. Other places may not. This isn't scientific at all, but off the top of my head I recall comparing the 2011 Joplin, MO tornado with the 2013 Moore, OK tornado. I recall they were similarly sized tornados tearing through similarly sized towns. I'm sure its not exactly apples to apples, but the number of fatalities was much higher in Joplin compared to Moore and I think that's at least in part due to people in Moore knowing what's up and being prepared. Which isn't a slight on Joplin in the same way I don't think closing schools due to less snow/ice (or even just cold) here is a slight on us compared those up north.

23. Default Re: January 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Right, I was up in New England for a significant, extended heatwave (mid-high 90s) last July and they are totally unprepared for that! They don't have the air conditioning capacity (some buildings don't have it at all) and they complained like crazy. They were unprepared. But while I was there I wasn't telling them they were handling things all wrong, etc., they just prepare for it it like we do here (powerful a/c everywhere) and as a consequence, don't handle it as well. So be it. They don't make investments in infrastructure that they might only use once or twice a year, so they deal with it the best they can and move on. We should do the same. I heard all of this tiresome "the way we do it up north" ALL THE TIME while living in Florida, too, it gets old fast. Each place has unique climatic differences and anomalous events that everyone does the best they can to deal with.

24. Default Re: January 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by NikonNurse View Post

We're at Hefner & Council. Monday evening we went home to about .5 inch of sleet. Yesterday morning it had become a sheet of ice and was a skating rink. By mid afternoon it had melted and had started to evaporate. This morning everything was dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    We're at Hefner & Council. Monday evening we went home to about .5 inch of sleet. Yesterday morning it had become a sheet of ice and was a skating rink. By mid afternoon it had melted and had started to evaporate. This morning everything was dry.
    Venice neighborhood has been pretty much dry since Tue morning.

Thread Information