Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The worst stretch of OKC streets....the list?

Blog Entries

Default Re: The worst stretch of OKC streets....the list?

The southbound side of May between Britton and Wilshire is getting pretty bad. Cars in the inside lane get bounced around pretty badly. Actually could be dangerous if left to get much worse.

2. Default Re: The worst stretch of OKC streets....the list?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    The southbound side of May between Britton and Wilshire is getting pretty bad. Cars in the inside lane get bounced around pretty badly. Actually could be dangerous if left to get much worse.
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Reno between Council and Rockwell. 1000 % terrible.
    This x1,000,000,000

Not the worst in the city, but Broadway from 33rd to 2nd in Edmond is surprisingly bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrenogolf View Post
    Not the worst in the city, but Broadway from 33rd to 2nd in Edmond is surprisingly bad.
    Furthermore I never ceased to be amazed just how bland and borderline ugly the median on Broadway is in Edmond from downtown to 33rd. Compare it to Classen in OKC. Edmond is supposedly Oklahoma’s “premier” suburb and yet can’t do something cool with the median of its Main Street?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Furthermore I never ceased to be amazed just how bland and borderline ugly the median on Broadway is in Edmond from downtown to 33rd. Compare it to Classen in OKC. Edmond is supposedly Oklahoma’s “premier” suburb and yet can’t do something cool with the median of its Main Street?
    Edmond isn't a suburb, it's a city. And there a far nicer suburbs in the OKC metro than Edmond, which peaked about 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by oktxatty View Post
    Edmond isn't a suburb, it's a city. And they’re a far nicer suburbs in the OKC metro than Edmond, which peaked about 20 years ago.
    Lol Edmond is definitely a suburb in every way. Suburbs are cities but not all cities are suburbs. There can be suburban areas within major cities like Los Angeles. Hell OKC is probably 95+ percent suburban. I’ll put it another way, Edmond is a bedroom community for OKC.

As for what suburb is or isn’t the nicest in the state is purely subjective. I’d rank Edmond as the nicest in the entire state let alone OKC with Nichols Hills as second. The only I’d place Nichols Hills behind Edmond is the lack of amenities within the city limits. If you factor in the immediate retail, restaurants, and developments then I’d say Nichols Hills is number one. That said Edmond might as well be closer to being in the ranks of cities like Bethany when compared to actual high end suburbs in major cities.

Whether you want to believe it or not I say that out of love because I think Edmond could be much nicer if the city would invest more money into itself. I was born and partially raised in Edmond(spent much of my teen years in North Dallas), so I’m very familiar with this town and its culture. It’s probably the best place anyone could ever live to raise a family when comparing the cost of living to the high standards, exceptional public safety, and overall pretty good infrastructure all things considered.

Trust me, I can find more good things to say about this place than bad but I won’t be a blind cheerleader either.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrenogolf View Post
    this entire stretch is do for a resurface in 2023

US-77: FROM APPROX 0.5 MI NORTH OF MEMORIAL RD INTERCHANGE (COMFORT DR) NORTH TO 2ND STREET IN EDMOND THEN 2ND ST FROM BRDWY TO I-35

Programmed Amount 6,000,000

9. Default Re: The worst stretch of OKC streets....the list?

I'd like to add 74th between Hiwassee and Anderson. HOLY MOLY. If you haven't ever driven that road, then get your shocks ready. I really is one large pothole patch. I dont think i was able to see a 100 ft stretch in that entire mile that wasn't pothole city. They have filled things in a few times, but it really just gets rid of the mile deep holes rather than fixing it. They just repaved 89th between Eastern and Bryant...again, and it did not need it. Especially since they repaved it right before a new neighborhood is about to tear it all up with heavy equipment. It would have been much better to use that out on 74th.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    36th has just been a cluster**** WRT resurfacing and construction, from Portland to Eastern. Is the part at Walker you're talking about the one where they appeared to just dump a bunch of asphalt on it and had a bunch of guys just jump up and down for a few minutes and then declare it done, right lane westbound?
    I thought you were talking in hyperbole until this work was completed yesterday at 27th and Walker. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4173.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	268.0 KB 
ID:	17756

They might not be done I think but jeez why not just leave the road closed or place the big metal plates over the road in the mean time.

Nw 18th & walnut is pretty bad full of potholes and a broken water main

Quote Originally Posted by josefromtulsa View Post
    I thought you were talking in hyperbole until this work was completed yesterday at 27th and Walker. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4173.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	268.0 KB 
ID:	17756

They might not be done I think but jeez why not just leave the road closed or place the big metal plates over the road in the mean time.
    They're most likely not done but I will never understand why they don't just do the whole job at once. It's always removing pavement and putting in a garbage temporary patch job for a few weeks before finally laying down concrete and completing the project. Another current example of this is heading east on NW 30th just before crossing Classen, directly to the north of Spin City Laundry. I just don't get it, and maybe someone with more knowledge than me can provide a good explanation for why road repairs are done this way here. But I can't remember another place that does it like this, and that's saying something considering I've spent a majority of my life in Michigan, aka the pothole capital of America.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    They're most likely not done but I will never understand why they don't just do the whole job at once. It's always removing pavement and putting in a garbage temporary patch job for a few weeks before finally laying down concrete and completing the project. Another current example of this is heading east on NW 30th just before crossing Classen, directly to the north of Spin City Laundry. I just don't get it, and maybe someone with more knowledge than me can provide a good explanation for why road repairs are done this way here. But I can't remember another place that does it like this, and that's saying something considering I've spent a majority of my life in Michigan, aka the pothole capital of America.
    I think most of the repairs like the one in the provided picture are from emergency water line work. The water department gets the people driving ASAP, and street department has to work out the engineering for permanent repair.

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    I nominate Walnut from 2nd to 6th, both north and south bound. This this is a primary entrance/egress to downtown.

South -
    - The lane lines on the street at Harrison on Walnut are no longer there. They lanes veer and you don't know that unless you drive it every day like I do.
    - The stupid parking they did in front of the former La Baguette forces everyone to merge into one lane. And no one parks there in the day!! Other than construction trucks. It's ridiculous.
    - All the lights are not timed properly and it's infuriating!!!! The 4th street light turns red for no reason during morning rush hour. If someone is turning left there it backs up because we all had to merge into one f**king lane!!!

North
    - Why, oh why is there not a double right hand turn lane on 5th street? The left lane for straight or northbound 235, the right land for south 235? This would solve the backups that occur during evening rush. What the hell!?! It seems so easy.

As you can see by all of the !!!! I am quite frustrated with Walnut. Someone please help!
    NW 5th from EK Gaylord to the I-235 onramps, particularly the one block from the railroad to Oklahoma Ave.

Thread Information