Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Phillips Murrah (Midtown mixed use)

Default Re: Midtown mixed use project

Quote Originally Posted by Hypon View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but why all this talk about tower cranes? What's so significant about their presence?
    Ample amounts of high-density construction. And with as many cranes going up throughout the city, there's a possibility that the town is experiencing one of it's biggest construction booms yet. Granted they aren't all high-rises of 20 floors and above, but the city is starting to fill out those empty spaces quite nicely. You could even say that we haven't experienced an urban boom quite like this since the 70's.

The cranes are a sign of that forward (and upward) moving progress.

I remember back when Devon tower had two cranes, and the same time there was one in Bricktown and few in the Health Sciences Center area with the cancer center, OMRF. and children's hospital. That was a sight, and could rival this current crane boom.

The wild card will be the U-Haul lot development. If that gets going this year (lets hope), that will almost certainly be at least two very tall tower cranes. Get a good view and the skyline of OKC will be speckled with them

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    The wild card will be the U-Haul lot development. If that gets going this year (lets hope), that will almost certainly be at least two very tall tower cranes. Get a good view and the skyline of OKC will be speckled with them
    If you add in the OAK development on NW Expressway, you have both of the skylines getting some work done. Oklahoma City will soon have an interesting dynamic come the next decade, the whole city might need a zoom-out pan just to capture all of what's really here. A lot of people sleep on OKC because they only see just the cluster of buildings surrounded by a bunch of flat land and a few other high-rises sprinkled throughout the place, but eventually it'll become a duality like Midtown and Downtown Atlanta. We might as well start seeing it for what it is.

OKC has a lot of land for sure, but the urban aspect of it is much bigger than what many in the state can even realize.

6. Default Re: Midtown mixed use project

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I remember back when Devon tower had two cranes, and the same time there was one in Bricktown and few in the Health Sciences Center area with the cancer center, OMRF. and children's hospital. That was a sight, and could rival this current crane boom.
    Devon actually had three tower cranes.

7. Default Re: Midtown mixed use project

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I was out of town all last week, I didn't realize this crane had gone up until I saw it while walking around Midtown yesterday. I believe that puts us at eight for the metro at the moment? OKANA, Innovation Hub, The Citizen, this one, the two at OAK and the two at Baptist is my count.

Midtown Re: Midtown mixed use project

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I was out of town all last week, I didn't realize this crane had gone up until I saw it while walking around Midtown yesterday. I believe that puts us at eight for the metro at the moment? OKANA, Innovation Hub, The Citizen, this one, the two at OAK and the two at Baptist is my count.
    You could even technically add the one by the fairgrounds (I think it’s that… It’s by I-44) and how about 4 more if you took the picture by the I-44/I-35 construction site. I know it’s not a building, but still signs of a booming city.

Quote Originally Posted by victorparknews View Post
    You could even technically add the one by the fairgrounds (I think it’s that… It’s by I-44) and how about 4 more if you took the picture by the I-44/I-35 construction site. I know it’s not a building, but still signs of a booming city.
    Did a tower crane go up for the new fairgrounds arena? I hadn't seen any pictures of it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Did a tower crane go up for the new fairgrounds arena? I hadn't seen any pictures of it yet.
    I live right over there and haven't seen one yet, but I could see there being one soon. They are hard at work over there. Vertical steel can be seen from the highway and from May.

Damn, already? These guys are in the same club as OAK in the "not f***ing around" department.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HFAA Alum View Post
    Damn, already? These guys are in the same club as OAK in the "not f***ing around" department.
    Probably helps that they have adequate space for lay-dawn, construction trailers, etc. without having to get permits, etc. for off site or traffic obstructing activity. I'd also guess there were no environmental obstructions (no old service stations, etc., surprise contaminants, etc.) to contend with. Availability of capital to keep moving forward without excessive pay stops and progress audits helps too.

This is also the way MidtownR does things.

You usually don't know about it until they are ready to start work right away.

Most the time, we know about developments well before they are ready to break ground.

And BTW, it's funny that people think Oak is an example of moving fast. I first posted about it in 2017!

I mean we knew OAK was slated to pick things up way back when, and I'm thoroughly pleased to see that OAK only took towards the direction of expansion rather than downsizing. But in terms of the speed of construction progress, I say this and OAK are swinging for the fences. The only reason I can't add OKANA to the list is because I'm sure that they're undergoing some inspections for creating the water park and artificial beach.

Quote Originally Posted by HFAA Alum View Post
    I mean we knew OAK was slated to pick things up way back when, and I'm thoroughly pleased to see that OAK only took towards the direction of expansion rather than downsizing. But in terms of the speed of construction progress, I say this and OAK are swinging for the fences. The only reason I can't add OKANA to the list is because I'm sure that they're undergoing some inspections for creating the water park and artificial beach.
    Okana is actually moving along pretty fast. It was only first announced a couple years ago. Now, here they are with 3 buildings under construction, including a high rise hotel working on the 7th floor.

The crane is barely visible from 235, if you weren't looking for it, you can easily miss it.

The crane is barely visible from 235, if you weren't looking for it, you can easily miss it.
    That's fine. The Citizen tower crane is plainly visible. Especially heading west on 40 and from 235. When the Citizen is built, it will expand the skyline to the north from those perspectives.

Don't care. People go to midtown in DROVES, and see it while there, showing the growth of Midtown.

Love this. Back in the glory days of Chesapeake, I used to love looking at their time lapse videos of all of their buildings.

24. Default Re: Midtown mixed use project

cranes!!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information