Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

Default Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

Figured it was time to create a dedicated thread just for this project, rather than it all going in the standard OTA one.

Default Re: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

I really hate to say this because in light of how The Oklahoman and Steve in particular has been regarding ripping off work from OKCTalk I’ve tried to be cool with everyone and I’ll message Steve from time to time just be nice but he’s either completely ignorant or pushing his anti car crap even though he lives in the suburbs which makes him a f@cking hypocrite.

A look at the ACCESS Oklahoma map shows Sunset Memorial Park, Lilac Cemetery, Dripping Springs Cemetery and Blackburn Cemetery all within shaded areas showing where the toll roads will be built.
    I’m tired of seeing this crap. It’s been repeated time and time again that access Oklahoma projects are in the early stages of engineering and planning and that the routes and proposed ROW will be significantly reduced within 100-200 feet of ROW. I’ve talked with the Pike Off founder and he’s a very nice guy who just wants to preserve his lifestyle and I can see both sides but I’m sick of the purposely misinformation being spread by publications like KFOR and The Oklahoman who are just using this small group of people to make controversy where there really isn’t much.

The amount of recycled articles from these clowns has to be nearing 100 if it hasn’t already exceeded that number. Access Oklahoma is a great plan and one I hope is expedited so we can see even more freeways built in the near future.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...s/69493380007/

PS, yes I’m aware that it is explained the shaded parts of the proposed ROW will be reduced but it’s always said after the typical talking point of the ridiculous 700 homes will be taken number that has no basis in reality. There are scores of projects around the country that are taking homes for infrastructure projects. Thankfully the anti car/freeway nut jobs haven’t really formed any stronghold in Oklahoma, yet. I despise public transportation and will always support car infrastructure. That’s my personal opinion though we should absolutely invest in alternative modes of transit it isn’t being done right in the states. Now we have two different groups of people wanting to come together and stop freeway expansions. Oh boy, I sure can’t wait for that subway to open up under the 405 in 2047.

PPS, out of respect to Pete I’ve been trying to refrain from posting articles from the Jokelahoman or KFOR but I just wanted to point this out. I will also say the OTA isn’t doing themselves any favors by not allowing a free section of the Gilcrease Tollway to be free for local traffic which would amount to a very small revenue loss. They need to get on the ball with moving the final designs and plans so they can put these ridiculous rumors of how much land they’ll be taking to rest. That should help them with their publicity. If I had my choice I’d vote for Stitt just due to the fact he supports this expansion and the other candidate doesn’t regardless of how much I don’t like that guy.

Would probably be better to keep discussion of the Access Oklahoma projects to this thread to keep discussions separate.

Little bit of good news that Tim Gatz doesn’t seem deterred by recent news.

OKLAHOMA CITY – The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority must push ahead with a proposed turnpike extension through Norman despite pending litigation, public opposition and an audit, Oklahoma Secretary of Transportation Tim Gatz said Wednesday.

All the pushback doesn’t diminish the need to complete the metro’s outer loop to move traffic safely and efficiently as the population continues to grow, Gatz said during a lunchtime forum hosted by the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber.

The U.S. Census Bureau reported the “phenomenal growth” of 109,000 people in the Oklahoma City metro area from 2020 to 2023, he said.

“We’re going to continue to see that growth,” he said. “You’ve got to have reliever routes to manage that traffic.”

Gatz is executive director of both the OTA and the Oklahoma Department of Transportation. He opened his remarks by saying the OTA is doing “everything we can to alleviate any concerns the attorney general has” and to work with State Auditor and Inspector Cindy Byrd.

Last week, Oklahoma Attorney General Gentner Drummond requested an investigative audit of the OTA, citing concerns about its financial conduct that came from legislators, community leaders, residents and state employees. Drummond said the complaints include improper transfers between the OTA and ODOT; improper contracting and purchasing practices; and inadequate internal financial controls.

Asked after the forum about the negative response to the plan for a southern extension of the Kickapoo Turnpike – running from Interstate 40 in Oklahoma City to Interstate 35 near Purcell – Gatz said it was not unlike the pushback to the realignment of the I-40 Crosstown and the construction of the Kickapoo Turnpike.

“Making those kinds of improvements is never easy and it’s something that we have to take very serious,” he said. “I don’t minimize those concerns.”

Improvements to help alleviate traffic on I-35 and Interstate 44 in south Oklahoma City are part of Access Oklahoma, a $5 billion, 15-year, long-range plan to addresses highway infrastructure needs across the Oklahoma turnpike network.

“Typically, we do things in five-year increments,” Gatz said. “With Access Oklahoma we developed a long-range vision of needs and strategies” that will help transportation officials answer questions from the public about when to expect improvements where they live.

ODOT never has been able to meet all the highway needs of the state, Gatz said. “The Turnpike Authority can be a difference-maker.”

It is funded by user fees – 40% come from out-of-state drivers – which helps ODOT extend the tax dollars and resources it receives, he said.

Not only do the turnpikes divert traffic off busy interstate and state highways, they also have spurred economic develop along their routes, Gatz said.

Chamber President and CEO Christy Gillenwater said infrastructure that is well thought out and intentional is important to business – in getting workers to work, moving product in and out, and attracting and retaining companies and talent.

The need for improved infrastructure to move traffic safely and efficiently extends statewide, Gatz said.

ODOT is widening a little more than 1 mile of 1-35 approaching the Red River in advance of a six-lane bridge project that is a partnership with the Texas Department of Transportation and the Chickasaw Nation, he said.

Texas is widening I-35 to a minimum of six lanes and that traffic will be coming north into Oklahoma. “What do we do with it? That falls to ODOT,” Gatz said. “They’re going to have to figure out how to continue to widen I-35.”
    - https://journalrecord.com/2023/03/22...te-opposition/

And a link from KFOR about the protest at the Capitol today: https://kfor.com/news/local/opponent...state-capitol/

i'm still kind of shocked we haven't gotten the State Supreme Court ruling yet.

Yeah I had heard January 16thish

Glad to see this on it's own thread. Just posting this link here in case someone needed to find it. https://www.accessoklahoma.com/

i tried the new thread awhile back, and until Plutonic panda tried to resurrect it today, it was unsuccessful. lol

^^^^ once the court cases are finished and the OTA can move forward It might be worth creating new threads on some of the individual projects as they will be pretty massive.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ^^^^ once the court cases are finished and the OTA can move forward It might be worth creating new threads on some of the individual projects as they will be pretty massive.
    yes, and with the fact that some seem like no brainers that everyone is in favor of, and several will get more and more heated while they continue forward.

State Supreme Court rules against Pike Off Oklahoma. so there goes that legal challenge. i now suspect that they will continue to get the bonds and start the projects up again soon.

https://kfor.com/news/local/oklahoma...g-in-ota-case/

This is great news. I can’t wait to see dirt turning for these projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    This is great news. I can’t wait to see dirt turning for these projects.
    same. i sometimes think i'm the only Norman resident looking forward to these.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    same. i sometimes think i'm the only Norman resident looking forward to these.
    I really think it's more than you think. I have a handful of close friends who live in different parts of Norman and they are all excited.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that this still isn't the case that ultimately decides whether or not OTA can issue new bonds?

Ah yes, here is a news 9 article. The battle isn’t over yet: https://www.news9.com/story/646ce1a3...osing-ota-plan

17. Default Re: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that this still isn't the case that ultimately decides whether or not OTA can issue new bonds?
    100pct correct. Lazy media doing lazy reporting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1684933309204.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	18045

18. Default Re: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

It's all delaying the inevitable. If you're one of those affected residents, you get to stay a little longer, but I certainly wouldn't invest anything in my home if I were you. The hammer is going to come down in favor of OTA. It just may take a indirect path to get there.

Not sure why the Off pike people keep spending money on this losing battle. How else do they think the OTA would fund the expansion/improvements? Just like anything else, they finance it and pay it out through increased tolls. It will continue and ready to see it progress. Will have a big benefit to I35, Hwy 9 and traffic in the area.

20. Default Re: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    Not sure why the Off pike people keep spending money on this losing battle. How else do they think the OTA would fund the expansion/improvements? Just like anything else, they finance it and pay it out through increased tolls. It will continue and ready to see it progress. Will have a big benefit to I35, Hwy 9 and traffic in the area.
    If someone knocked on your door and told you they were taking ownership of your land/property you've owned for years, you would likely fight it until the end as well.

Blog Entries

Any time a person or family have to lose their dwelling--it's a tragic piece we all have to deal with in the so-called greater good of progress. My mom went thru this in the 70s when Urban Renewal wiped out many homes and my mother's back duplex (additional income) on the East side of OKC that led to I-235 divider and we were relocated to Oak Cliff (Voctech) area.

So, I know first hand what families affected by road infrastructure have to give up through the process. The delays and the uncertainty only adds to the insecurity and the whole stress of relocation.

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    If someone knocked on your door and told you they were taking ownership of your land/property you've owned for years, you would likely fight it until the end as well.
    of course this is an oversimplication ..

Love to see it. Ready to see this get started.

They can be upset about losing their home (final route hasn't even been determined yet nor has the amount of homes that will need to be cleared) but to spend money when they will inevitably lose is just not smart. Hate that anyone is going to lose their home but glad they will be compensated and can relocate elsewhere.

Not if the compensation is fair.

Thread Information