Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

Default JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

Blue’s BBQ on Robinson and NW 6th has gone out of business. They are moving everything out today. I hate to see that as it was very convenient for those of us who work nearby.

Default Re: Blue’s BBQ closes.

Two BBQ places in a week. Too bad when both managed to make it through the pandemic after being open for the better part of a decade.

Blog Entries

It was my closest restaurant for a long time so I ate there once or twice a week until they went lunch only. Since then haven't been able to eat there for years...

I doubt the spot will be vacant for long.

5. Default Re: Blue’s BBQ closes.

I ate there a few times when I worked close by. Good food and good service. Sad to see them go.

I’ve tried this place 3 times and have never been impressed. In fact one of the times I went the food was pretty lousy. Hopefully something nice goes here. This is a prime area.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I doubt the spot will be vacant for long.
    If Bond Payne goes ahead with his 12 story tower on the lot next door, the construction folks could help keep any decent restaurant going there for a couple of years.

Blue's BBQ was a great place, loved the lady that ran it...so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by OKDATAGUY View Post
    Blue's BBQ was a great place, loved the lady that ran it...so nice.
    She was a wonderful lady. I hate it for her. I thought her business was good. She has had help wanted signs up for months but never could find anyone to work. In fact the help wanted signs are still in the windows but everything is cleaned out of the space. It’s just a big empty room now.

Default Re: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

The new place going into this spot is called JK by Chef King.

Well under construction (last picture is of the inside).

https://jkrestaurants.com/

JK stands for Josh and King, two friends, who first met in London, United Kingdom, and have now come to the United States with a clear vision and determination to bring something unique and exciting to the Oklahoma culinary scene. JK will take you on a modern European culinary journey with focus on friendly but highly attentive service. You will experience an artful ambience, as though you are seated in a beautifully curated garden.

Both Josh and King have worked for many years in top fine dining restaurants in London and overseas. Josh brings his unique charming personality, and excellent service skills to manage our front of house team. His team will give you a royal experience in a friendly and comfortable manner which you will never forget and come back for more.

King trained and worked in some of the most prestigious fine dining restaurants in the world, key locations include London, Paris, New York, Dubai, Tokyo, Bangkok and more. He brings a wealth of experience and skills to the table. He is the first Michelin Star chef to open a restaurant in OKC, ever a humble guy, King says, that is not the highest accolade of his career, but when a guest tells him, “This is the best meal they ever had after eating at his place,” that’s his greatest achievement.

We encourage our diners to embrace the customary approach of sharing dishes with their guests, from luxurious small plates to contemporary large plates and stunning desserts. Each seasonal menu is created by our talented culinary team using only premium ingredients and served by our highly trained front of house team with a strong focus on a meticulous and engaging customer service.

Welcome to JK by Chef King

Really sad to hear Blue's is gone. Amazing chopped brisket and really really legit spicy cowboy beans. It will be missed. ALWAYS great service

A Michelin star chef is a big add to the OKC culinary scene.

^ does anyone have an actual bio on this chef?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Dearborn View Post
    Here's what I could find:

http://www.chefking.net/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/king-dey-59b5861a/

This looks to be a restaurant he opened in Plano: https://www.yelp.com/biz/kai-plano-4

I haven't seen anything that references his Michelin Star

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Here's what I could find:

http://www.chefking.net/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/king-dey-59b5861a/

This looks to be a restaurant he opened in Plano: https://www.yelp.com/biz/kai-plano-4

This references Michelin, but only says he was mentioned in it (not sure what that means), not that he actually has a star:

https://www.kailegacywest.com/team

Pretty disingenuous of them to say/imply he has one if all he has is a mention (whatever that may be, I've never read a Michelin guide).

Quote Originally Posted by Will Dearborn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I had typed a long reply essentially asking this question but the tone was always more negative than I meant it to be. The JK website lists a number of "awards" including a 3 Michelin star, etc. Now, other than the fact it seems a bit misleading and one who wouldn't know any better may assume JK had received these awards (though the website doesn't look like it's completed - note the reviews for a pub in England down below), assuming those award logos are accurate it looks like he may have worked at Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée in Paris and Restaurant De L’Hotel De Ville in Switzerland. Now, would obviously be great if it were true and crazier things have happened, but color me a bit skeptical that he was *the* chef at these restaurants.

Also, there is an instagram for "chefkingokc" that is for a local private chef that's been active for the last couple of years. The food looks good! Just wish there had been a little more substance and a little less flash from that press release.

I sure will miss Blue's BBQ. Great burgers and lunch specials and as stated above, great service. Oh, and free cookies.

18. Default Re: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

Well as interesting as this looks.... It's sure got a lot of intrigue attached to it already.

First and foremost.... There is no such thing as a Michelin Star Chef.... Michelin Stars are awarded to restaurants only and any chef that had ever worked in a Michelin Starred restaurant would know that.... Chefs are recognized by the James Beard Foundation

The webpage... Multiple typos... The food looks great but they sure look like stock photos.... Already has rave reviews but isn't open yet.

I remember talking to the original team who opened Vast over a decade ago and they were bragging about how easy it would be to get Michelin stars and be the best restaurant west of the Mississipi lol. Of course that whole team was short lived and a dismal failure. People really throw around Michelin stars more than they should, Oklahoma has not yet had a restaurant with one.

Should note that the Michelin Guide only reviews restaurants in New York, Illinois (primarily just Chicago), California (primarily LA and Bay Area), and DC in the US. And I think maybe a couple of cities in Florida last year. So it's impossible for restaurants not in those areas to receive a Michelin star, even if they are "worthy."

This is contrasted with Europe where all sorts of small towns are included, as the Michelin Guide is still a very Europe-focused organization....gotta know where to go on your fancy European road trips using Michelin tires!

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Should note that the Michelin Guide only reviews restaurants in New York, Illinois (primarily just Chicago), California (primarily LA and Bay Area), and DC in the US. And I think maybe a couple of cities in Florida last year. So it's impossible for restaurants not in those areas to receive a Michelin star, even if they are "worthy."

This is contrasted with Europe where all sorts of small towns are included, as the Michelin Guide is still a very Europe-focused organization....gotta know where to go on your fancy European road trips using Michelin tires!
    Yep, until the Michelin guide updates their review areas Oklahoma has zero chance of a restaurant getting a Michelin star. There are several regions in the world that have restaurants on the Top 50 list that do not have a star as their region is not reviewed by Michelin.

You all picked up on where I was going...this is sketchy as hell.

Way to trip over yourself right out of the gate.

Press release:

First Michelin-Starred Chef To Open A Restaurant Offering A Contemporary Asian Dining Experience In Downtown OKC

World-renowned chef King Dey and business partner Josh Balan bring immersive culinary dining experience to Oklahoma’s dining scene with new concept, JK by Chef King

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK — June 12, 2023 – Michelin-star chef King Dey and business partner Josh Balan today announced the opening of JK by Chef King, authentic Asian cuisine served in a contemporary style, offering a dining experience that is the first of its kind in Oklahoma. The restaurant is located at 612 N. Robinson Avenue in Oklahoma City.

Chef King’s culinary experience has landed him in prestigious fine dining restaurants across the globe, including locations in London, Paris, New York, Dubai, Tokyo, Bangkok, and more. His vast experience and skill set make him the first Michelin-starred chef to open a restaurant in Oklahoma City.

“JK by Chef King is our first restaurant in Oklahoma and I am thrilled to bring a revolutionary dining experience to such an amazing destination city,” Chef King said. “JK will take diners on a modern culinary journey, enveloping each person in an artful ambiance, reminiscent of a beautifully curated garden. It’s truly a dining experience unlike any other in Oklahoma, and it’s the highlight of my career to bring this experience to the thriving Oklahoma City culinary scene.”

King and Josh initially crossed paths in London, where the pair of friends both worked in renowned fine dining establishments. The pair prides themselves in offering an affordable contemporary asian dining experience filled with surprises like eggplant miso, caramelized black cod, oxtail bone marrow fried rice, and instagrammable and mind-blowing cocktails in an ambiance boasting Oklahoma’s largest indoor Wisteria tree for guests to dine beneath. Diners are encouraged to embrace the customary approach of sharing dishes with their guests, from luxurious small plates to contemporary large plates and stunning desserts.

JK by Chef King, a sophisticated yet affordable option, boasts enough space for friends, families, and parties with an eclectic menu that can’t be found elsewhere. It is scheduled to open in mid-July, serving guests every day of the week with brunch options each Saturday and Sunday as well as upscale nightlife options each Friday and Saturday evening at Le Club.

ABOUT JK BY CHEF KING
    JK stands for Josh and King, two friends who first met in London, United Kingdom, who have now come to the United States with a clear vision and determination to bring something unique and exciting to the Oklahoma culinary scene. JK by Chef King takes diners on a modern Asian culinary journey with a focus on friendly, affordable, and attentive service. To learn more about JK by Chef King, visit jkrestaurants.com

Press release:

First Michelin-Starred Chef To Open A Restaurant Offering A Contemporary Asian Dining Experience In Downtown OKC

World-renowned chef King Dey and business partner Josh Balan bring immersive culinary dining experience to Oklahoma’s dining scene with new concept, JK by Chef King

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK — June 12, 2023 – Michelin-star chef King Dey and business partner Josh Balan today announced the opening of JK by Chef King, authentic Asian cuisine served in a contemporary style, offering a dining experience that is the first of its kind in Oklahoma. The restaurant is located at 612 N. Robinson Avenue in Oklahoma City.

Chef King’s culinary experience has landed him in prestigious fine dining restaurants across the globe, including locations in London, Paris, New York, Dubai, Tokyo, Bangkok, and more. His vast experience and skill set make him the first Michelin-starred chef to open a restaurant in Oklahoma City.

“JK by Chef King is our first restaurant in Oklahoma and I am thrilled to bring a revolutionary dining experience to such an amazing destination city,” Chef King said. “JK will take diners on a modern culinary journey, enveloping each person in an artful ambiance, reminiscent of a beautifully curated garden. It’s truly a dining experience unlike any other in Oklahoma, and it’s the highlight of my career to bring this experience to the thriving Oklahoma City culinary scene.”

King and Josh initially crossed paths in London, where the pair of friends both worked in renowned fine dining establishments. The pair prides themselves in offering an affordable contemporary asian dining experience filled with surprises like eggplant miso, caramelized black cod, oxtail bone marrow fried rice, and instagrammable and mind-blowing cocktails in an ambiance boasting Oklahoma’s largest indoor Wisteria tree for guests to dine beneath. Diners are encouraged to embrace the customary approach of sharing dishes with their guests, from luxurious small plates to contemporary large plates and stunning desserts.

JK by Chef King, a sophisticated yet affordable option, boasts enough space for friends, families, and parties with an eclectic menu that can’t be found elsewhere. It is scheduled to open in mid-July, serving guests every day of the week with brunch options each Saturday and Sunday as well as upscale nightlife options each Friday and Saturday evening at Le Club.

ABOUT JK BY CHEF KING
    JK stands for Josh and King, two friends who first met in London, United Kingdom, who have now come to the United States with a clear vision and determination to bring something unique and exciting to the Oklahoma culinary scene. JK by Chef King takes diners on a modern Asian culinary journey with a focus on friendly, affordable, and attentive service. To learn more about JK by Chef King, visit jkrestaurants.com

Thread Information