Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Burgers in OKC

Default Re: Best Burgers in OKC

^^^^ I just went to that Bunny’s. Nice people and a solid burger! I got the single onion with everything on it except bacon and Mayo.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ^^^^ I just went to that Bunny’s. Nice people and a solid burger! I got the single onion with everything on it except bacon and Mayo.
    Great to hear, looks really good and I want to check it out.

I went to new state during soft/grand opening. Not a fan of top buns being buttered on top, and thought the top bun was a little stiff. Nic's is too messy/greasy and requires a fork and knife. +1 for bar arbolada being a proper mcdonalds burger. Another +1 for nothing special about burger punk. Like cow calf hay. Agree Earls is particularly underrated. Garage has great service, but that's every hal smith place.

All of my favorite burger places keep closing. Livegrass, burger place at the collective, and chef curry. Although not in okc my latest favorite burger is currently 405 burger in norman.

MOB grill at The Parlor gets lots of love.

I haven't tried them yet but will soon do so.

5. Default Re: Best Burgers in OKC

Yeah, MOB is pretty good for sure.

I forgot about MOB grill as well, solid burger for sure

7. Default Re: Best Burgers in OKC

Has anyone tried the Waygu Burger from Arby's?

8. Default Re: Best Burgers in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Tried it last week. I thought it was quite good. As advertised, it was crispy on the outside and a bit pink in the middle. I thought it could have gone a bit easier on the sauce (think Big Mac sauce), but overall I really enjoyed it.

Want to weigh in here as I have had my fair share of burgers over the years. Mount Ruchmore, in no particular order: Tucker's (shockingly try their turkey burger, it's fantastic), new state, MOB (at the Parlor, probably one of my favorites) and Patty Wagon.

Full disclosure, I haven't had Spark or Bar Arbolada as it is only open in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Not a big Arby’s guy but I do love their fries. I’ll stop by and give the burger a try. I have heard about it.

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    Just found Bunny's has a S. Meridian location and an IG account, food looks great

https://www.instagram.com/bunnysonionburgerssouth_h/

and a website

https://www.bunnysonionburgers.com/order
    Was thinking about going there today, and it's interesting. The one on S. Meridian has bunnysonionburgers.com as their website, and the one on N Meridian has bunnysfriedonionburgers.com as their website, so I'm thinking the two might not be owned by the same people? If they are, why not just have one website and one menu (or one website and two menus on that website).

^

The Bunny's on Meridian just south of 50th has been there quite a bit longer.

In fact, it used to be another onion burger place back in the 70s/80s.

I have no idea how all of them are related, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Yeah, the story of the 50th location is on their website (I think it was Joe's, then John's, then Bunny's), but when I just typed bunny's onion burgers in to Google, it came up with the S 10th one, and the logo's the same, but they have no menu nor history on their site, so, like I said, strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Pete, you ought to give them a try. I tried them and they were really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Pete, you ought to give them a try. I tried them and they were really good.
    I tried them today (50th/Meridian) and it is *not* an "onion burger", it's a (pretty tasteless) burger patty with (also pretty tasteless) grilled onions on top, no evidence of any onions (fried, grilled, or otherwise) in the patty. Fries were good, seemed hand-cut, onion rings were crap (very little actual onion), wife's Philly Cheesesteak had beef that was good, but the cheese was tasteless, and the bun was the wrong kind of bun (it fell into pieces, too delicate for the filling).

Interesting I really thought it was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I tried them today (50th/Meridian) and it is *not* an "onion burger", it's a (pretty tasteless) burger patty with (also pretty tasteless) grilled onions on top, no evidence of any onions (fried, grilled, or otherwise) in the patty. Fries were good, seemed hand-cut, onion rings were crap (very little actual onion), wife's Philly Cheesesteak had beef that was good, but the cheese was tasteless, and the bun was the wrong kind of bun (it fell into pieces, too delicate for the filling).
    Agree. It's pretty substandard.

Ha, good point... For me the best burger is a theta, but I've been searching for a good one ever since Irma's closed. Their sauce was great, best theta sauce I've ever had (and their burgers are the best I've had in OKC, but Lipsmackers (RIP) was second). Ones I've had that don't do it - Patty Wagon, S&B, Burger Punk, Johnnie's. It either has BBQ sauce on it, or the "hickory/theta" sauce is too BBQ-y, tomato-y, not enough smoky taste, whatever, they just don't measure up to Irma's. Found out RePublic has one while poking around, need to try it, theirs is a porter-hickory sauce.

Interesting article about the origin of theta sauce, knew some of it, but not the info before Split-T - https://www.oklahoman.com/story/ente...d/60532743007/

Also, forgot about Red Rooster - their burger is pretty good, need to build my own next time, better than Burger Punk's down the street.
    Split T had my favorite theta sauce. Johnnie's is very good but a bit too salty. The old-school Charcoal Oven had a good, slightly sweeter theta sauce. Not a fan of the new incarnation.

Will second the Palo Santo burger, their chicken sandwich is pretty good too, we're probably going to eat there before the Belle & Sebastian show since it got moved to Beer City Music Hall (yay, don't have to deal with Friday night Bricktown, lol).

This may start something, but isn't a true "onion burger" one that has had onions mixed with the meat in the patty and then grilled (Sid's) as opposed to what a ton of people call an "onion burger" which is really just a "burger with grilled onions on top" (Tucker's, I believe (I can't eat there because they use peanut oil to fry *and* on the grill), and Nic's, IIRC)?
    No. Sid's grills them with the burger, not in the burger, as does Johnny's in El Reno. It's just that they do it better than Tucker's, and I have a hunch why My Tucker's burger was uber greasy and the meat didn't taste as good. Tucker's doesn't cook the onions long enough to get them properly caramelized, or the burger for that matter. Sid's uses very thin patties which get a crispy texture along with the caramelized onions on the grill. Because of this, they don't ooze with grease when they're served, as Tucker's do. Onion burgers shouldn't be dripping with grease when they're served and the patties should be slightly caramelized, along with the onions.

Nic's is much more like the El Reno approach but with much bigger burgers. It's a different animal, but they do get the onions wonderfully caramelized and their meat is just delicious.

Also, scratch my earlier comment about Arnold's in Tulsa. A repeat visit was not as good. I mean, still a very good drug-store burger, but not the mouthwatering version I had a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Also, scratch my earlier comment about Arnold's in Tulsa. A repeat visit was not as good. I mean, still a very good drug-store burger, but not the mouthwatering version I had a few months ago.
    Claud's or Webber's are my wife and I's choice for Tulsa burgers. I'm a Claud's feller and she's a Webber's gal. Different strokes. Both very good burgers last we checked (which has been awhile).

My vote is ROBERT'S in El Reno. Has a better vibe and the prices are a little better.
    The counter only sitting seems more authentic in capturing that early 20th century lunch place. SID'S and JOHNNIES lack that ambiance.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    No. Sid's grills them with the burger, not in the burger, as does Johnny's in El Reno. It's just that they do it better than Tucker's, and I have a hunch why My Tucker's burger was uber greasy and the meat didn't taste as good. Tucker's doesn't cook the onions long enough to get them properly caramelized, or the burger for that matter. Sid's uses very thin patties which get a crispy texture along with the caramelized onions on the grill. Because of this, they don't ooze with grease when they're served, as Tucker's do. Onion burgers shouldn't be dripping with grease when they're served and the patties should be slightly caramelized, along with the onions.

Nic's is much more like the El Reno approach but with much bigger burgers. It's a different animal, but they do get the onions wonderfully caramelized and their meat is just delicious.
    Which Tuckers? I go to the NW23rd one and it’s solid and blows out either of the El Reno spots. Tuckers uses prime beef and they cook the pattie thin and perfectly caramelize the onions IMO

if tuckers weren’t doing things proper there wouldn’t be expanding and would have went out of business

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    My vote is ROBERT'S in El Reno. Has a better vibe and the prices are a little better.
    The counter only sitting seems more authentic in capturing that early 20th century lunch place. SID'S and JOHNNIES lack that ambiance.
    I like Robert's, too. Ambiance is one thing (Sid's is just fine), but you probably can't go wrong at any of the El Reno joints for burgers.

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    Which Tuckers? I go to the NW23rd one and it’s solid and blows out either of the El Reno spots. Tuckers uses prime beef and they cook the pattie thin and perfectly caramelize the onions IMO

if tuckers weren’t doing things proper there wouldn’t be expanding and would have went out of business
    Blows out the El Reno spots? What? You are the only person who has ever made that claim.

I guess it's entirely possible that the last two visits to Tucker's, at two separate locations, both within the last three months, were flukes. Who knows? My burger was most definitely not caramelized, the onions were just oily and half done, and the burger was greasy. The meat did not taste like prime beef and was not well seasoned.

I have been to Tucker's 10 times since it opened and it has never once rated as high as Sid's in El Reno. Different strokes for different folks.

Thread Information