Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: El Coyote

Default Re: El Coyote

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Never had bad service here, but the food is always so bland. I don't think I will go back unless it is for chips and queso and some cocktails. Does anyone else feel like the food is lacking in flavor?
    Yes. For New Mexican cuisine we definitely prefer Green Chili Kitchen on 66 in Yukon.

So, are the folks calling it bland.... Are you familiar with New Mexican food? That's usually what people say about NM cuisine even it's their first time to yep try it. Just wondering.

3. Default Re: El Coyote

Quote Originally Posted by OkieinGeorgia View Post
    So, are the folks calling it bland.... Are you familiar with New Mexican food? That's usually what people say about NM cuisine even it's their first time to yep try it. Just wondering.
    El Coyote's food is not what I get when I go to Taos or Red River. New Mexico is famous for Hatch Chilis for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    El Coyote's food is not what I get when I go to Taos or Red River. New Mexico is famous for Hatch Chilis for a reason.
    Yeah, I agree. Just wondering if maybe that was some of the issue with this place for some.

Blog Entries

My brother lives in Albuquerque and is in the food business. I’ve been to quite a few authentic NM cuisine restaurants and bland is not the description I would ever use to describe them. And I wouldn’t call Coyote NM food.

I am very familiar with New Mexican food, which is definitely not bland by any measure. Coyote is nothing like the great, flavorful, spicy red and green chile-based food I crave whenever I think about New Mexico.

I wonder how they are doing?

I was by there a couple of Saturdays ago and it looked jam-packed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

We went last week for dinner and it was packed. It was only my second time there.... the first time I got the birria tacos which were on special and they were amazing. I got the burrito Christmas style this time and it was not the best. It seems like tacos are the move there.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    We went last week for dinner and it was packed. It was only my second time there.... the first time I got the birria tacos which were on special and they were amazing. I got the burrito Christmas style this time and it was not the best. It seems like tacos are the move there.
    Well, that's unfortunate. I mean, if you call yourself a New Mexican place you need to nail the Christmas enchiladas, first and foremost. Christmas enchiladas, pork posole, and sopapillas (and not the sugar cinnamon covered ones that are actually buñuelos, but rather ones to eat with dinner like a tortilla).

10. Default Re: El Coyote

New Mexico is my second home. I have spent most of my time that isn't in Oklahoma, in New Mexico. I even traveled there last November and then had El Coyote in December. If you are claiming your food is inspired by the flavors of a region and those flavors aren't in the food, that is a problem. It looks like New Mexico in there, but the food is lacking in flavor.

11. Default Re: El Coyote

I think this place is great for chips, queso, and cocktails on the patio. The bar is a great spot as well. I just won't ever get main entrees there. I have a feeling this place will be here for many years. I am rooting for their success even if I don't care for the entrees.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    New Mexico is my second home. I have spent most of my time that isn't in Oklahoma, in New Mexico. I even traveled there last November and then had El Coyote in December. If you are claiming your food is inspired by the flavors of a region and those flavors aren't in the food, that is a problem. It looks like New Mexico in there, but the food is lacking in flavor.
    The problem they are facing is that NM is very close and many Oklahomans go there. If they were claiming NY Pizza, well frankly, most OKCitians haven't ever had real NY Pizza so they accept faux NY style pizza as real and accept the tastes. For the most part, Oklahomans KNOW what NM cuisine is and can judge for themselves. If they can't BE NM cuisine, they should quit claiming it.

They have been open long enough to be past the "Honeymoon Phase" and appear to be quite busy. Their customers seem to think they are serving food and drink they like. Not sure why that is bad?

Blog Entries

Went a while back, nice ambiance, enjoyed the staff, but the food isn’t New Mexican. And the sopapilla was a horrible deep fried Lump of dough. Spent a lot of time in Santa Fe back in the 70’s-80’s and ate a lot of green and red Chile. Here’s what we do to have NM at home. Put some Rancho Gordo pintos in the slow cooker with garlic and a bay leaf. Cover with boiling water, and they are ready in 2 hours. Make a roux of some chopped garlic, olive oil, and a tablespoon of flour. Dump one whole container of Bueno mild, and 1/3 container of hot green Chile (@ Homeland and Uptown), into the roux, when unthawed add the beans, and whatever else. Now serve with some nice tortillas, and Bob’s your uncle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    They have been open long enough to be past the "Honeymoon Phase" and appear to be quite busy. Their customers seem to think they are serving food and drink they like. Not sure why that is bad?
    McDonalds is busy too, but it doesn't make it good food. I agree with the previous poster who identified their popularity as drinks and a patio.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    McDonalds is busy too, but it doesn't make it good food. I agree with the previous poster who identified their popularity as drinks and a patio.
    That's the appeal to me. A nice place to hang out and have a drink. I still haven't gone yet, though, but I'm glad they're staying busy.

17. Default Re: El Coyote

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I actually think in this case the service and surroundings are what makes people return. I just went to a place I hadn't been to and it has done really well. It had the opposite problem, the food was good, but the service and surrounding were horrible and it is way too pricey. The cocktails were not good at all. I will not be going back to this place even though the food was good. El Coyote has great service and one of the best patios. It will win out most of the time.

Stopped in for an early drink last night and by the time I left (around 6:30) every seat inside and out was filled and there was a line out the door.

Of course, it was a gorgeous day which had a lot to do with it.

19. Default Re: El Coyote

Stopped in for an early drink last night and by the time I left (around 6:30) every seat inside and out was filled and there was a line out the door.

Just imagine if they had good food.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Just imagine if they had good food.
    Sounds like you don't like their food?

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    Quality of the food was, at least for awhile, a pretty consistent complaint.

I went for the first time last night. We were there at the same time so I must have walked past you at the bar. It was absolutely packed and people were coming in, being told it was a 90 minute wait. I was anxious to try the food because I had heard bad things. I thought it was perfectly good, and after trying it I’m now convinced the majority of people who have complained about it simply expect Tex mex and aren’t prepared for the different taste of New Mexican food.

My wife and I frequent Santa Fe two to three times per year. El Coyote misses the mark when it comes to the taste of northern NM. The two times we've been here it was subpar in comparison. We were really disappointed. Aside from that, the patio area is great unless there's a north wind blowing in the smell of the dumpster and grease pit, which happened one of our visits.

24. Default Re: El Coyote

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    New Mexican food, especially northern NM is one of my favorite cuisines. I get a case of smoked hatch chilis every year from Crest and freeze them and use them year round. El Coyote's food is very bland. The venue itself is great, though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I went for the first time last night. We were there at the same time so I must have walked past you at the bar. It was absolutely packed and people were coming in, being told it was a 90 minute wait. I was anxious to try the food because I had heard bad things. I thought it was perfectly good, and after trying it I’m now convinced the majority of people who have complained about it simply expect Tex mex and aren’t prepared for the different taste of New Mexican food.
    Yes, if only it WAS New Mexican Food. El Coyote isn't. Most people just take their work for it. It's just marketing.

Thread Information