Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daylight Savings Time

1. Default Daylight Savings Time

Welcome back to Daylight Savings Time. It's good to see you again.

Default Re: Daylight Savings Time

Amen!

I prefer standard time, but I would certainly compromise on settling for DST if we could just stop the changes altogether.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I prefer standard time, but I would certainly compromise on settling for DST if we could just stop the changes altogether.
    Same.

Not me. I want everything to stay exactly as it is right now.

Yup. Later evenings year round. I am more productive in the evening. I look at it as I have to wake up early for work no matter what, the sunrise time doesn’t change that. But when the sun sets early I have less motivation to take care of things around the house or take the dogs for evening walks etc because I have less available daylight time after work to take care of those things.

In the winter time I get home from work after sunset, at 430pm. So the only opportunity to do anything around the house is on my days off. If we stayed on summer time year round I would at least have an hour before sunset in the winter time to take care of anything outside.

How people prefer early sunsets I can never understand.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Yup. Later evenings year round. I am more productive in the evening. I look at it as I have to wake up early for work no matter what, the sunrise time doesn’t change that. But when the sun sets early I have less motivation to take care of things around the house or take the dogs for evening walks etc because I have less available daylight time after work to take care of those things.

In the winter time I get home from work after sunset, at 430pm. So the only opportunity to do anything around the house is on my days off. If we stayed on summer time year round I would at least have an hour before sunset in the winter time to take care of anything outside.

How people prefer early sunsets I can never understand.
    kids in the pitch black dark for school bus pick up is not a great idea ...

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    but this already happens. Sunrise in OKC mid December is around 7:30- 7:35... it's already pitch black when most kids are waiting for the school bus. yes, it's not for but a few weeks... but it already happens.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    but this already happens. Sunrise in OKC mid December is around 7:30- 7:35... it's already pitch black when most kids are waiting for the school bus. yes, it's not for but a few weeks... but it already happens.
    all edmond elementry schools have bus pick up after that time ..

10. Default Re: Daylight Savings Time

Adjust the school hours by one hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Adjust the school hours by one hour.
    8:40 sunrise would not be great

Staying on standard time year round would result in a 5:15am sunrise, with civil twilight beginning around 4:45am in the summer. That would also be not great.

Where I live it would be a 4:31am sunrise, with civil twilight starting at 4am. Also not great.

Staying on standard time year round would result in a 5:15am sunrise, with civil twilight beginning around 4:45am in the summer. That would also be not great.

Where I live it would be a 4:31am sunrise, with civil twilight starting at 4am. Also not great.
    which is why what we do now is the best option ..

which is why what we do now is the best option ..
    I agree. If we had to get rid of one, I would prefer to eliminate standard time as in my opinion a late sunrise in the winter is more manageable than a ridiculously early sunrise in the summer.

all edmond elementry schools have bus pick up after that time ..
    not all children live in edmond

nm

Staying the same all year round would just cause too many complications unless the whole country does it. For me, just leave it as it is with a change twice a year. It normally only takes me one day to adjust my sleep pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    Staying the same all year round would just cause too many complications unless the whole country does it. For me, just leave it as it is with a change twice a year. It normally only takes me one day to adjust my sleep pattern.
    why? there are other states that do this without issue. what complications would arise?

This is a rather convenient timing for this thread.

Calling it now, we’ll try this for one (1) year, hate it like we did back when we tried the same thing for a year in the 70’s, and then go back to the present system, until another 50 years from now when we’ll probably be convinced to try the same damn thing for a third time because people love having things to complain about.

I think people are more social and more active than they were in the 1970’s. More people go out for runs, walks, or out to eat/drink than they did. More people have energy efficient homes that have air conditioning than back then. I think people would probably be fine with having an extra hour in the evening to do those things.

I wasn’t alive then but I bet the main complain was having to wait for the house to cool down an extra hour. No virtually every home has air conditioning and people go out to eat or do exercise in the evening than before.

I think people are more social and more active than they were in the 1970’s. More people go out for runs, walks, or out to eat/drink than they did. More people have energy efficient homes that have air conditioning than back then. I think people would probably be fine with having an extra hour in the evening to do those things.

I wasn’t alive then but I bet the main complain was having to wait for the house to cool down an extra hour. No virtually every home has air conditioning and people go out to eat or do exercise in the evening than before.
    my guess is people will hate the late late sunrises in the winter as they did in the 70's

24. Default Re: Daylight Savings Time

my guess is people will hate the late late sunrises in the winter as they did in the 70's
    Those people are retiring.... They don't mind sleeping in a little now.

I don't understand why DST bothers people so much. Who cares?

Thread Information