Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving to Oklahoma group on Facebook

Default Re: Moving to Oklahoma group on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    Actually people are leaving California in mass. So many that they lost a congressional seat. California is also a top O&G producing state.
    They gained nearly 3 million citizens. They lost a seat due to redistricting. census tampering didn’t help.

Yes it is. This isn’t the dumbest take I’ve seen on here. But it’s definitely up there. The state gained a near equivalent population of Oklahoma. They lost a seat due to redistricting that takes place every year. Oklahoma received maybe 2500 net citizens from California. That’s hardly a en mass. We get more than ten times that every year from Texas. These numbers are from the census bureau under the trump administration btw.

Numbers don’t support this “exodus” from California. It’s more about nonsense platitudes that are made up and contrary to anything you’ll find on the census or if you actually read an article instead of the stopping after the headline.

Maybe this is the wrong thread to ask this one but I will ask. As we all know there is huge amount of new homes being built to the north of Memorial and to the west of Okc. Maybe south too but I dont get down that way very often. Ok then who is buying these homes? where are the people coming from. Just in my little neck of the woods on the east side of I35 in Edmond, so many new subdivisions going in. Realtor friends tell me they dont have listings but have buyers. If homes are selling in older areas Okc and the metro, then where are the buyers coming from? I understand that rural areas of Oklahoma are continuing to drop population. I cannot imagine that all this growth is people moving from small town Oklahoma. First time home buyers? Ok then why are apartments being built along the Memorial rd area? On an Edmond facebook group as well as Nextdoor, I am seeing a lot of folks that say they just moved here from Calif. Sorry help out this older lady.

5. Default Re: Moving to Oklahoma group on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I guess Oregon gaining a seat must be from all those Californians moving north.
    A lot of native Oregonians would tell you that has been a problem there for decades.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    A lot of native Oregonians would tell you that has been a problem there for decades.
    Same is true for Arizona.

7. Default Re: Moving to Oklahoma group on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    They gained nearly 3 million citizens. They lost a seat due to redistricting. census tampering didn’t help.
    They count on people moving there to counter those leaving. Those moving there have slowed. California had a net loss of 275,000 people in the 4th quarter of 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Maybe this is the wrong thread to ask this one but I will ask. As we all know there is huge amount of new homes being built to the north of Memorial and to the west of Okc. Maybe south too but I dont get down that way very often. Ok then who is buying these homes? where are the people coming from. Just in my little neck of the woods on the east side of I35 in Edmond, so many new subdivisions going in. Realtor friends tell me they dont have listings but have buyers. If homes are selling in older areas Okc and the metro, then where are the buyers coming from? I understand that rural areas of Oklahoma are continuing to drop population. I cannot imagine that all this growth is people moving from small town Oklahoma. First time home buyers? Ok then why are apartments being built along the Memorial rd area? On an Edmond facebook group as well as Nextdoor, I am seeing a lot of folks that say they just moved here from Calif. Sorry help out this older lady.
    Poked around on the census website tonight. For 2019, the most recent data which is available, 2.607% of Oklahoma's population lived in a different state the previous year (the 27th highest rate out of 50 states + DC). Interestingly, that is a higher rate than Texas (1.954%), and California is at the bottom with 1.229%, although they're both so big this still represents significant numbers of people.

Of the 101,844 people who moved into Oklahoma that year from another state, 25.9% were from Texas, with 8.9% from Colorado and 7.3% from Arkansas and California each. 12.6% were from a foreign country. Somewhat surprisingly, that is nearly equal (but greater than) the net outflow of Oklahomans to Texas: (26,383 vs. 25,535), which I'd assumed would be greater. We also had positive net inflow from Colorado (9020 vs. 4412), California (7408 vs. 3747), and Arkansas (7421 vs. 5826).

The states we lost the most to (net)? Florida (2,379 net loss), Idaho (1,474 net loss), and Pennsylvania (1,094 net loss).
    The states we gained the most from (net)? Colorado (4,608 net gain), California (3,661 net gain), Texas (2,848 net gain), New Mexico (2,745 net gain), and Arkansas (1,595) ... followed by Hawai'i and North Carolina, interestingly enough. Still, these numbers represent extremely small fractions of each state's population.

I'd be very curious how these numbers have shifted since the pandemic. I also have no idea how accurate these estimates are from the American Community Survey, as I'm sure much of this is extrapolated and modeled.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Surely some are metro residents who want to move to a bigger home.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Poked around on the census website tonight. For 2019, the most recent data which is available, 2.607% of Oklahoma's population lived in a different state the previous year (the 27th highest rate out of 50 states + DC). Interestingly, that is a higher rate than Texas (1.954%), and California is at the bottom with 1.229%, although they're both so big this still represents significant numbers of people.

Of the 101,844 people who moved into Oklahoma that year from another state, 25.9% were from Texas, with 8.9% from Colorado and 7.3% from Arkansas and California each. 12.6% were from a foreign country. Somewhat surprisingly, that is nearly equal (but greater than) the net outflow of Oklahomans to Texas: (26,383 vs. 25,535), which I'd assumed would be greater. We also had positive net inflow from Colorado (9020 vs. 4412), California (7408 vs. 3747), and Arkansas (7421 vs. 5826).

The states we lost the most to (net)? Florida (2,379 net loss), Idaho (1,474 net loss), and Pennsylvania (1,094 net loss).
    The states we gained the most from (net)? Colorado (4,608 net gain), California (3,661 net gain), Texas (2,848 net gain), New Mexico (2,745 net gain), and Arkansas (1,595) ... followed by Hawai'i and North Carolina, interestingly enough. Still, these numbers represent extremely small fractions of each state's population.

I'd be very curious how these numbers have shifted since the pandemic. I also have no idea how accurate these estimates are from the American Community Survey, as I'm sure much of this is extrapolated and modeled.
    Here’s the census link as well

https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur...Table_2019.xls

Ok sure some folk need/want a larger home but not all the new homes are huge. Plenty of 1500 sq ft range homes. ARe not existing homes also selling fast? In Edmond there is very low inventory of existing homes for sale? If new apartments are also being built then this is not an emptying out of apartments. It has to be more people moving in. Granted some older homes are being torn down in the intercity areas and those folks moving to better house, and those who left those homes to better and so on. Still there are lots of new homes being built, so where are the folks coming from who buy them? I say we must have people moving in either/and from rural Oklahoma and from other states. I say we are in a growth cycle and a large one at that.

Oklahoma City doesn’t have the drilling that it used to no. But the states economy does. If this were an Oklahoma City specific thread maybe though
    There’s plenty of data out there about o&g’s share of the state’s total GDP, but it is harder to find the same data set for the OKC MSA.

One thing that is interesting is that o&g employment in the msa is basically at the same raw numbers we saw in 1999 / 2000. Some of that is more and more companies moving away from the CHK model (buying too much acreage and class-a CRE, bragging about it at the meetings, but watching most of it expire all while staying overstaffed).

Definitely been a paradigm shift on that front. But i would doubt that o&g’s percentage share of okc’s gdp is neatly coupled with the employment figures.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    There’s plenty of data out there about o&g’s share of the state’s total GDP, but it is harder to find the same data set for the OKC MSA.

One thing that is interesting is that o&g employment in the msa is basically at the same raw numbers we saw in 1999 / 2000. Some of that is more and more companies moving away from the CHK model (buying too much acreage and class-a CRE, bragging about it at the meetings, but watching most of it expire all while staying overstaffed).

Definitely been a paradigm shift on that front. But i would doubt that o&g’s percentage share of okc’s gdp is neatly coupled with the employment figures.
    Oklahoma City is a urban area. Outside corporate interests there is no drilling which is a large part of the Oklahoma state economy. I would argue there is a a small fraction of oil beneath our feet when compared to the rest of Oklahoma. O&G corporate interests are never ever affected By the boom and bust of ludicrously volatile commodities markets the way that drilling is. Harry Hamm is missing paychecks. Because they rest plays here and there while focusing more on the productive plays elsewhere.

Oklahoma City is a urban area. Outside corporate interests there is no drilling which is a large part of the Oklahoma state economy. I would argue there is a a small fraction of oil beneath our feet when compared to the rest of Oklahoma. O&G corporate interests are never ever affected By the boom and bust of ludicrously volatile commodities markets the way that drilling is. Harry Hamm is missing paychecks. Because they rest plays here and there while focusing more on the productive plays elsewhere.
    Harry Hamm Isn’t * missing paychecks

uh…what?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    uh…what?
    Let me rephrase. As per prior comments on the thread people are not moving to Oklahoma in mass from California. The state dependence on O&G is a highly volatile commodity not capable of supporting consistent long term economics that would be necessary to pull the millions of people other commenters seem to think are moving here from California(they’re secretly thinking it’s politics).2. Oklahoma state politics are overwhelmingly off putting to you working class wage earners. According to the census Oklahoma nets about 2500 people from California a year. Vs 26000 from Texas.becoming a more conservative state is not going to help out population out. Jobs neither. The only thing that’s going to grab Californians is continuing to make massive improvements to quality of life. Well educated population to attract diverse industries. And and inclusive and diverse society on top of our already fantastic cost of living

17. Default Re: Moving to Oklahoma group on Facebook

Just because someone is buying a house in the OKC area doesn't mean that they plan to live in it. Some of these sales are people with extra money (or businesses) buying them as an investment property to rent out. Some of these investment buyers may reside out of state and may not even have seen the house in person before buying it.

There are also always first-time homebuyers that are moving out of a rental property or their parents' home. These sales don't necessarily reflect recent population growth, just the same number of people spreading out to a greater number of households.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    Just because someone is buying a house in the OKC area doesn't mean that they plan to live in it. Some of these sales are people with extra money (or businesses) buying them as an investment property to rent out. Some of these investment buyers may reside out of state and may not even have seen the house in person before buying it.

There are also always first-time homebuyers that are moving out of a rental property or their parents' home. These sales don't necessarily reflect recent population growth, just the same number of people spreading out to a greater number of households.
    I would say this is just as prevalent if not more so than actual home buying I’ve seen the same Mclaren in my neighborhood. He owns multiple properties. The ten or so rent houses on 62nd street alone are going for $1500 to $1800. (My mortgage is under a $1000.) I mean we all know renters are a credit to the neighborhood. Raising property values and taking care of their properties and what not. I just hope I can move to belle isle or or edgewater where it’s not so common.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Some are coming from California but not necessarily the liberal ones. To quote one in Stillwater FB community page in response to vote proposal to raise city sales tax for streets, "Please, please, please take it from a former Californian. Never vote for new taxes, ever!"
    The apparently conservative Californian who moved to near the edge of Stillwater got disappointed by the vote on new taxes she opposed. The hotel tax hike was approved by 71% and doubling the city sales tax for streets passed by 70%. Apparently, plenty of people are unhappy about the poor condition of Stillwater streets.

Quote Originally Posted by macfoucin View Post
    That tweet is content with no credit given sourced from a dude posting similar charts on /r/dataisbeautiful/. The Texas exodus chart is arguably more interesting from an Oklahoma perspective since we have a much larger intake.

Literally just as many people leave Oklahoma for California as vice versa give or take a thousand. After reading about the goings on here in Oklahoma this week. We’ve never needed an infusion of Californians more than now. But some of these comments are so deluded it’s literally almost made me pee my pants. Quit trying to celebrate the worst of Oklahoma’s qualities. Regression is not progress

There's a fair amount of handwringing on this site about the City's inability to attract Fortune 500/1000 level businesses. And there is some merit to those complaints. But it may not necessarily matter because employment (and particularly white collar employment) is becoming less and less tethered to a specific desk in a big East or West coast city.

A lot of these Californians and Texans are keeping their old jobs and coming here to pay cash for multiple properties (plus, they still have enough left over for a McLaren or Ferrari LaFerrari). I've never seen so many McLarens in OKC; they are everywhere these days. The remote work situation has been and will remain a tailwind for the OKC MSA.

Honestly who cares about white collar anything. I know plenty of good guys from MWC or south side who deserve a shot at $20./hour jobs with benefits. And those mclarens are real estate investors flipping properties for rent. Which brings down property values in middle class neighborhoods. Because gallardía has a no rent policy I’m sure.

Thread Information