Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    Just wondering why Delta would have a plane sit here that long, unless it's going in to the Skywest hanger for something. Someone help me understand this
    That would be my guess... maybe gets a thorough check in the hangar? Seems odd to not use an aircraft for that much time right now though.

What dates are you seeing this? Is it just one day or multiple days.

Usually AC rotations into maintenance are planned around the schedule, very rare to build a schedule around maintenance.

If it is several months out it just hasn’t been adjusted.

According to the Delta website,the flight has been operating daily for a few weeks now and is running daily this week. I didn't look past next week

Looks like it is MSP-OKC-ATL and ATL-OKC-MSP

Delta will start flying several times a week between Cincinnati and Paris. Cincy had been doing only 7 to 8 M passengers a year pre pandemic.
    It makes you hope for OKC !
    It will be this airport only European route.

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    Delta will start flying several times a week between Cincinnati and Paris. Cincy had been doing only 7 to 8 M passengers a year pre pandemic.
    To be fair, Cincy used to be a hub and fly there daily.

But yes, I think it would be a weekly flight to a Toronto or Mexico City type flight for OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    I'm sure it's being subsidized, either by the city/airport or local corporations like P&G. There used to be daily nonstops from Cincinnati to London, Paris and Amsterdam when Delta had their hub there. OKC and Tulsa also had daily nonstops there on Delta/Comair. It was a great connecting airport for traveling onward to the Northeast, similar to how St Louis currently operates with Southwest.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    What dates are you seeing this? Is it just one day or multiple days.

Usually AC rotations into maintenance are planned around the schedule, very rare to build a schedule around maintenance.

If it is several months out it just hasn’t been adjusted.
    It may not always be the same plane. AAL added MIA-TUL flights to get 737s in and out of maintenance when the 737 flight was much smaller and mostly based in MIA. Flew out of TUL on Friday evening, into TUL Sunday evening IIRC.

Also why TUL had some 757 service back in the day, made it easy to rotate the 757s into and out of maintenance without a ferry flight. In those days they'd have 3-4 757s a week move into/out of base maintenance.

Other the other scenario: It's flying somewhere else in that gap.

In an operation that large you can get away with it. SkyWest's OKC operation is nothing compared to AA at TUL.

Alaska will ferry airplanes to/from OKC/SEA, many times minutes apart from their revenue counterparts. It is typically too hard to rely on an airplane coming in or out of maintenance to be ready to go to swap into the line; it's even more difficult to plan these moves weeks or months out.

In any case, this particular scenario has nothing to do with maintenance and is a MSP-OKC-ATL and back routing.

10. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

According to this OKC-MIA comes back April 4 now

https://simpleflying.com/us-airlines...box=1660072225

11. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    According to this OKC-MIA comes back April 4 now

https://simpleflying.com/us-airlines...box=1660072225
    Well crap. Was planning a trip to MIA right after it was going to resume in early Nov. Guess I’ll cancel that and do something else.

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    Well crap. Was planning a trip to MIA right after it was going to resume in early Nov. Guess I’ll cancel that and do something else.
    Yes, this does stink. Especially since the flight has been doing so well. AA must be really feeling the pinch...or pinches as the case may be. We'll look for it again in April!

As an alternative, SWA has a decent itinerary into MIA via HOU. It leaves about 25 min after the AA nonstop would (525a), but gets you in after 11a. You can still have "toes in sand" by 12p Oklahoma time.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwind17 View Post
    Yes, this does stink. Especially since the flight has been doing so well. AA must be really feeling the pinch...or pinches as the case may be. We'll look for it again in April!

As an alternative, SWA has a decent itinerary into MIA via HOU. It leaves about 25 min after the AA nonstop would (525a), but gets you in after 11a. You can still have "toes in sand" by 12p Oklahoma time.
    I was going to say - it's been full both times we've taken it. Lots of vacationers to/from the Caribbean like us. Sucks that they would cut this in the winter season.

I wonder if OKC is struggling to keep our get back flights due to the new leader of Will Rogers Airport. Didn't they replace their old director?

Airlines don’t even know the name of the airport directors. I will reiterate that the only thing airlines care about is what markets drive profit. Second to that is what markets drive brand loyalty or a larger strategy,

You could have the smoothest talking airport director in the world heading up the Ada, OK airport and no airline will give two craps about it. You could have Barney Fife running Austin and the airlines would equally not give two craps about it so long as it doesn’t affect revenue,

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Airlines don’t even know the name of the airport directors. I will reiterate that the only thing airlines care about is what markets drive profit. Second to that is what markets drive brand loyalty or a larger strategy,

You could have the smoothest talking airport director in the world heading up the Ada, OK airport and no airline will give two craps about it. You could have Barney Fife running Austin and the airlines would equally not give two craps about it so long as it doesn’t affect revenue,
    You are probably right, and I will defer to your expertise. Just seems that the airport has lost more than it has gained since the new director took over, which was after the worst sink of the Covid pandemic. As an auditor, I cannot believe in coincidences.

Maybe I am just 1,000% wrong, but seems to be a slight link.

17. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Downwind17 View Post

It was just a 2 night trip. I try to not to change planes for that short of a trip. Plus, I try to avoid SW unless it's a non-stop. I want an assigned seat-- preferably first but I'll settle for MCE if the situation is right. I do find SW helpful on occasion though. The nonstop to MCO comes in handy for trips to Disney World.

18. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    You are probably right, and I will defer to your expertise. Just seems that the airport has lost more than it has gained since the new director took over, which was after the worst sink of the Covid pandemic. As an auditor, I cannot believe in coincidences.

Maybe I am just 1,000% wrong, but seems to be a slight link.
    I have no idea when the new director taken over but I would think COVID has been the #1 cause of things to move and shake over the past few years.

I have no idea when the new director taken over but I would think COVID has been the #1 cause of things to move and shake over the past few years.
    Again, a lot of airports haven't lost routes at the rate okc has. That's my concern. Covid or not, OKC has been among the first airports to be cut. Tulsa has basically the same # of routes now, maybe more, as OKC. That should never, ever happen.

20. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

OKC has Seattle, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Orlando (MCO), and San Antonio over Tulsa. https://www.flightconnections.com/fl...ahoma-city-okc
    TUL has Love Field, St. Pete, Sarasota, Mesa, and MIA (until April 4) over OKC. https://www.flightconnections.com/fl...from-tulsa-tul

I'll take our connectivity over theirs.

Covid hit and pilots retired then air travel came roaring back 2 years earlier than expected.
    Boeing's 787 production was down for 18 months, which jacked up international flights, and rippled into domestic.

It has 0 to do with anything other than American has more demand for its flight than it can supply. Service cuts and rising prices are the result. United had the same problem but even worse.

At the end of June; OKC was around 1.8 m pax and tulsa 1.3 m. Closer than usual.

July numbers :
    https://flyokc.com/sites/default/fil...nplanement.pdf

I think Breeze last flight out of OKC was yesterday.
    You have to wonder if they will come back when they have more planes.
    You can also wonder with all the Airbus in order at Jet Blue and Frontier if we will have more flights too.

23. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

OKC has Seattle, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Orlando (MCO), and San Antonio over Tulsa. https://www.flightconnections.com/fl...ahoma-city-okc
    TUL has Love Field, St. Pete, Sarasota, Mesa, and MIA (until April 4) over OKC. https://www.flightconnections.com/fl...from-tulsa-tul

Did SFO come back? Hope so.

I’ve been told now that TUL secured the LGA nonstop on AA that Bay Area and Seattle are the top destinations the airport wants for new service. That would involve getting Alaska to expand to TUL which evidently was close to happening pre-COVID. Minneapolis and Detroit were served from TUL pre-COVID hope they come back someday though Delta is even more pathetic out of TUL than OKC. Orlando MCO isn’t served but Sanford is on
    Allegiant though not daily.

I do LOVE the TUL-DAL nonstop though (pun intended) for connectivity to other SW destinations and easy access to downtown/uptown Dallas from Love Field.

25. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    ...though Delta is even more pathetic out of TUL than OKC...
    I know, it would be great if we could get service to BOS from DL, or JFK for transatlantic options. I recently booked transatlantic and because we don't have service to one of those east coast hubs, I have to make two connections! C'mon DL!

Thread Information