Widgets Magazine
Page 74 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24697071727374757677 LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 1911

Thread: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    With the antennae first national is 456 it is 443’ foot to the top of the roof.
    Hold that thought. I found multiple sites reporting different heights.

First national is 456’ to the beacon. Doesn’t state to the top of the beacon. I thought it was unclear. The only thing that is clear is that two building heights on Wikipedia are factually and demonstrably incorrect. The other buildings appear to be legit

Original drawings of First National show that it is 405'-6" to the top of the roof, and 443'-3" to the top of the spire (not including the beacon and antenna). When viewed at/near eye level, like in this video, you can see there is quite a difference in height between FNC and City Place. I think the 440' figure for City Place is way off and the 391' figure is more accurate. The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat reflect these numbers for FNC and City Place (https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/city/oklahoma-city). Also, building height can be figured on Google Earth and after doing some subtraction, those numbers come pretty close to CTBUH's, and I would expect Google Earth to be fairly accurate given the nature of the scanning technology and the resulting depth map.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    My family is originally from Cushing. Great Great grandfather came there and started the furniture store which is still downtown. Cherry Street is named after his cherry orchard.

Cushing is a strange place. If you were to plop a refinery in the middle of 99% of U.S. towns, people would scream bloody murder. In Cushing, it would be welcome. It's not just home to those folks unless you have the odor of petrochemicals in the air.
    From my mother's side of the family my great grandparents settled in the rural Cushing area around 1910. My great-great grandparents stayed behind in Missouri. My uncle in Cushing worked for Hudson. Cushing will always have a fond place in my memory from in the past having so many relatives living there and going there to visit them. I still remember the smell of the refinery being in the air.

Interesting how ancestors on both sides of my family kept moving west starting from the east coastal states until nearly all of them decided to stay put in Oklahoma around 1910. The only one who left was one aunt who left Oklahoma because her husband said Chicago was the place to be.

Can't find anything on the Internet since 2023 how the new refinery in Cushing is progressing or not.

Article in The Wall Street Journal this morning.

https://www.wsj.com/us-news/oklahoma..._copyURL_share

"...overlooking sprawl and farmland."

Notable farming powerhouse, OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    "...overlooking sprawl and farmland."

Notable farming powerhouse, OKC.
    From that high up, you could probably see quite a bit of farmland. And there is farming either in OKC limits or right up next to it, drive Eastern north of 63rd, there's wheat there, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    From that high up, you could probably see quite a bit of farmland. And there is farming either in OKC limits or right up next to it, drive Eastern north of 63rd, there's wheat there, I believe.
    One of those statements that journalist make that while factually true, don't tell the whole story and are meant to prejudice the reader one way or another. The writer could just as easily called out Okana, the Oaks and the many other projects in progress across the area as being visible which would leave the reader with the impression of a growing city.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesta Parker View Post
    One of those statements that journalist make that while factually true, don't tell the whole story and are meant to prejudice the reader one way or another. The writer could just as easily called out Okana, the Oaks and the many other projects in progress across the area as being visible which would leave the reader with the impression of a growing city.
    The whole project is so bizarre so I think he just means to punctuate how out of place this thing is. Which it definitely is.

Don't think it's malicious, just funny. He probably assumes we grow corn here.

This is the image included with that WSJ article:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	161B8D9A-B50E-40D6-B7C9-83DA4F652207.jpeg 
Views:	271 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	18772

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Had this proposal been to just match the height of Devon, that alone would have made me think, "whoa, that's crazy! I don't know, we'll see..."

He probably assumes we grow corn here.
    Well, it is as high as an elephant's eye. Meanwhile, everything's up to date in Kansas City.

Meeting at City Hall, commissioners had already approved zoning for a carwash for tractor tailors by the time they reached the skyscraper project...
    Barr also wonders about the rationale for an observation deck. “I’ve never been to Oklahoma City, but what do you see when you go to the observatory? Prairie or whatever? I can’t imagine that’s something that would draw a lot of people,” he said.
    “LMAOOOOO,” tweeted Hayden Clarkin, a New York-based transportation consultant who goes by the Transit Guy on social media, after seeing how the building would tower over the vast expanse of the city, with a few much smaller buildings peeking up from downtown.
    It was a fairly nice piece about Oklahoma City in general, despite the obvious pitying snark in many of the included quotes and anecdotes regarding this specific project. Not too many big believers in this project out there, it seems, lol.

The whole project is so bizarre so I think he just means to punctuate how out of place this thing is. Which it definitely is.

Don't think it's malicious, just funny. He probably assumes we grow corn here.
    Not gonna lie I haven’t seen corn in Oklahoma. Haven’t tried to miss it. But wouldn’t it burn up? We get a little bit hot don’t we?

Not gonna lie I haven’t seen corn in Oklahoma. Haven’t tried to miss it. But wouldn’t it burn up? We get a little bit hot don’t we?
    Think it's grown here but I don't think it's really done in a mass scale like in other states. Think OK is more of a cattle/wheat state. Although, I'm possibly the worst person to ask about this topic.

PS: feel free to delete this post, mods. I don't want to derail things.

18. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Imagine they built that proposed high rise on the Lumberyard site right next to this. More height in the direct surrounding area would help with the out of place look from certain angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Imagine they built that proposed high rise on the Lumberyard site right next to this. More height in the direct surrounding area would help with the out of place look from certain angles.
    Even more so on the land between the Myriad Gardens and Scissortail Park.

These folks have a thriving corn growing operation and have for a number of years.
    https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=967570569940772

Even more so on the land between the Myriad Gardens and Scissortail Park.
    In my opinion (which carries as much weight as the amount of $$$ I've put into this project) this entire development makes much more sense at that site. If I were the city, I might try to broker some kind of swap deal between the parties that hold those properties. That's a fairly naive and simplistic idea, but if doable would seem to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    These folks have a thriving corn growing operation and have for a number of years.
    https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=967570569940772
    their corn is fantastic and has been for decades ..

Blog Entries

Yes, of course they use the most unflattering pic of the city they could find.

There are many intellectually honest ways to approach an honest article looking at its unlikelihood, but the outsiders choose instead to demean and mock. They don’t seem to be making fun of the proposal as much as of Oklahoma City.

24. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

^^^^^^^
    100%

I also don't want to derail this thread, but we grew field corn on our family farm when I was growing up. I spent hours there with a hoe chopping weeds.

Thread Information