Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: June 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Weather June 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Amazing temperatures continue into first part of June. No big-time storm systems on the horizon. Looks like we will begin our march into more summertime temps next week.

Default Re: June 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Does early next week look interesting to anybody else? The GFS is showing some decent CAPE with a decent shear set up I think. It also looks like a traditional dry line set up. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Don't think it's a dry line set up. Nevermind. Looks like the storms may be pushing from NW-SE on the day I was looking at (Tuesday).

Next week is looking mostly like disorganized showers and occasional thunder. Fairly similar to the pattern we saw for the majority of May, just with less coverage and there probably won’t be any longer-lasting rain events like the ones we had on May 16th and May 31st.

After the somewhat overachieving thunderstorm coverage yesterday, expecting a couple more rounds in the next 24 hours - one around early/mid afternoon, and then another one overnight. The overnight round could potentially be more substantial, but there's a lot of model inconsistency and it's also possible that it will focus just SW of the Metro. Main threat will be heavy rain as there is a lot of moisture in the region.

Storm chances will continue into Tuesday, with exact locations most likely dependent on any outflow boundaries and MCVs produced by today's activity. Thereafter, a ridge will build in and give us our first true summertime pattern of the year, with rain chances turning off and temperatures rising into the 90's.

I went for a walk last night when there were just a few sprinkles, then it lightly rained on me for the full hour.

It was really beautiful.

I'm loving this weather.

This event is unfolding pretty much as expected. Storms currently ongoing will rain themselves out between now and sunset, and then another round should develop after midnight as the LLJ kicks in. Classic early summer pattern. Loving it.

Rain is mostly done here in C OK.

Things are going to be heating up the rest of this week and into the weekend. We will be hitting 90s with extreme humidity by Wednesday.

8. Default Re: June 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Rain is mostly done here in C OK.

Things are going to be heating up the rest of this week and into the weekend. We will be hitting 90s with extreme humidity by Wednesday.
    As much as I enjoy getting rain this time of year, I'm glad to hear this. The Dodgers are scheduled to play a double-header tonight to make up for Saturday's rainout, and more rain today would throw a wrench into that.

In a week, we'll be crying for more rain.

I dread the dog days of summer.

So were we over or under on rain for April, may, and June? Feel like we got 1 or 2 decent storms but nothing major.

Will put together some actual numbers once I’m at my laptop later, but we’ve been running pretty close to average for a while now. If I had to guess right now, I’d say June will probably fall below average, as the next couple of weeks look fairly dry.

Per the Oklahoma Climatology Survey, which I prefer as it has data based on regions as opposed to exact city locations. Central Oklahoma is at 93% of its average rainfall year-to-date.

NC and SW OK are the only areas of the state that are running below average. SE OK is winning [as usual] with 123% over average.

Dang, 98° on Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Dang, 98° on Friday!
    Sounds amazing. It is about time summer showed up here in Oklahoma. Bring on the heat and drier weather!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    In a week, we'll be crying for more rain.

I dread the dog days of summer.
    Are you still soft from California coast summers I moved here from the northern coast of California and my first summer here was brutal. I don't know if I am (or ever will be) used to it.

^

Yes, the summers here were the thing I dreaded most about coming back.

In Cali, in the middle of the summer I didn't even sleep with my windows open because it would get down in the 50's. And then the days were sunny and around 80. There are very, very good reasons it is so expensive there -- unless you've lived there, it's hard to comprehend how amazing the weather is.

17. Default Re: June 2021 - General Weather Discussion

We had a rare and interesting land-spout tornado in Colorado yesterday. A high base storm developed at the convergence of two outflow boundaries about 20 miles north of DIA, northeast of the city. Because it was high based, dry and very clear air, the good-sized tornado could easily be seen from 40 miles away most of 360 degrees. It lasted a good 30 minutes - rare for this type of tornado.

People in jets landing at DIA had pilots pointing it out and people with window seats could take pics of it. Someone in a taller building all the way in South Denver took a nice zoomed video of it. Luckily, very sparsely settled in that area so only farm damage but incredible video from news and the public since it was on the ground so long.

Yes, I saw photos of that tornado, it looked beautiful.

Pete you are right, if OK summers peaked at mid to upper 80s, the population of OKC would probably be 2 million. But the summers here are insane for anyone not used to it. Weather here is not desirable unless you are leaving northern Wisconsin for cheap warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Pete you are right, if OK summers peaked at mid to upper 80s, the population of OKC would probably be 2 million. But the summers here are insane for anyone not used to it. Weather here is not desirable unless you are leaving northern Wisconsin for cheap warmth.
    The winters are no fun, either.

Very few cities in the world get above 100 in the summer and near zero in the winter. Then you have ice storms, hail, tornados, tons of wind...

We've had a great spring but our weather here generally stinks.

The winters are actually worse than the summers here, IMO. Summertime here can still be pretty nice in the evenings, and even in the late afternoon if you’re on a shaded patio. The constant cold north winds in the winter are brutal.

^

Those summer afternoons and nights are pretty brutal by the standards of most other places.

I forgot to mention the humidity.

The truth is, most just run their a/c or heater all day, every day. People here spend a lot less time outside when compared to most other places.

22. Default Re: June 2021 - General Weather Discussion

These are the reasons why we have never and probably won't ever see explosive population growth here. Not complaining about that.

^

Those summer afternoons and nights are pretty brutal by the standards of most other places.

I forgot to mention the humidity.

The truth is, most just run their a/c or heater all day, every day. People here spend a lot less time outside when compared to most other places.
    I really enjoy the summers here. Honestly, it is my favorite season in Oklahoma Weather. I spend more time outside in the summer than any other time of the year. I usually spend most of my time doing yard work or swimming in the pool. We also ride around our neighborhood on the golf cart most evenings.

I walk a 3-4 mile loop every evening through my neighborhood and those in the surrounding area.

I pass hundreds of houses every single day and I may encounter one or two people outside, and this has been when the weather is about as good as it gets. A huge percentage of yard work is done for pay during the day, even in modest areas.

What I do see is TV's on in virtually every house.

Unless you've lived somewhere else, you don't see how little people are outside in comparison -- and that's true all year long.

It's one of the big reasons I am always so pleased to see people out at Scissortail Park.

I walk a 3-4 mile loop every evening through my neighborhood and those in the surrounding area.

I pass hundreds of houses every single day and I may encounter one or two people outside, and this has been when the weather is about as good as it gets. A huge percentage of yard work is done for pay during the day, even in modest areas.

What I do see is TV's on in virtually every house.

Unless you've lived somewhere else, you don't see how little people are outside in comparison -- and that's true all year long.

It's one of the big reasons I am always so pleased to see people out at Scissortail Park.
    I love doing yard work. I usually spend around 8 hours a week mowing. It surprises me how many people pay to have that done.

Thread Information