Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Obituary Thread, famous people, places & events.

1. Default Re: Obituary Thread, famous people, places & events.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I bet he hated hearing his own song play, "I Should Have Been a Cowboy" after every time OSU beat OU.

Stephen Colbert on his Tues. night show took time out to remember how great Toby Keith was even to him. It was very touching. Toby taught him not to prejudge the guests on his show. I had no idea how much Toby and Stephen appreciated each other in some ways. “I like to give people the finger a lot — and you can’t give the royal finger better than Stephen Colbert.” Toby Keith
    He may have. On the other hand it was the most country radio played song in the 90s. And think about the icons that were peaking in the 90s. So it had to have been a love/cringe relationship with the song if anything.

This morning I heard talk about the first time Toby was on with Stephan Colbert. Colbert said he intended to rip Toby for the feud with Natalie Maines. But upon talking to Toby he found he liked him and didn't do it. Then as Toby was leaving the set he told Colbert "You're really good at what you do. Whatever the **** it is". They became pretty good friends.

Default Re: Obituary Thread, famous people, places & events.

Cathy Cummings passed. Didn't even know she was sick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    Cancer

This is a gut punch for anyone that knew her. She was one of the best people I have ever known.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    This is a gut punch for anyone that knew her. She was one of the best people I have ever known.
    I agree I met her maybe 2 times at her restaurant. Genuinely a nice lady

I knew she was sick, I did not know how quickly she would be gone. Sean and Cathy have been such good representatives of our community, both in The Village, and with their restaurants in OKC. Cathy was a terrific person, and always had a smile and a kind word. She will be truly missed.

8. Default Re: Obituary Thread, famous people, places & events.

I have to admit I had to search Cathy Cummings to see who she was. But I immediately recognized the first picture I saw. I never talked to her but have seen her in both Vito's and Sean's. She always looked like a very friendly, nice lady. I'm sure that carried over to being mayor so I can imagine the loss the city could feel.

My husband, his sister and I were just at Vito's 3 weeks ago. We wondered why we didn't see Cathy there. You always would. We also used to go there when the restaurant was across the street. She was as y'all said. She never met a stranger. There is a Go Fund Me on Vito's Facebook page to "to be directed towards school lunch debt in our public schools" as stated there.

Cathy was one of those “one-of-a-kind” people. She was a dynamo in everything she did. I first met Sean and Cathy during the days of Boca-Boca and Sean’s first pub up in the Collonade north of May and Britton. There couldn’t have been a nicer person than Cathy Cummings. Really and truly. Condolences to Sean and the whole family.

Just saw that bombing survivor Florence Rogers has passed. Always enjoyed hearing her speak about her credit union team. What a legacy.

Blog Entries

Richard Lewis, the stand-up comedian who also starred alongside Larry David in “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” has died. He was 76.

Lewis announced last April he had been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and was retiring from stand-up comedy.

https://wp.me/pc8uak-1lDOKc

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    Richard Lewis, the stand-up comedian who also starred alongside Larry David in “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” has died. He was 76.

Lewis announced last April he had been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and was retiring from stand-up comedy.

https://wp.me/pc8uak-1lDOKc
    Was a living legend!

I was a big fan. I knew he was sick but was shocked to see how sick he looks in the latest season of Curb. I am glad he got to work until the end of his life.

Heard Thomas Stafford passed today.

Stafford was a great man. I saw him often around time during my time in Weatherford in the early 2000s. was always willing to sit down and talk with anyone about his adventures and his thoughts on the future of space flight. I still remember many of those conversations vividly!

RIP Louis Gossett Jr.

19. Default Re: Obituary Thread, famous people, places & events.

Just heard that O J Simpson died. He was 76. Yes, he had a checkered past but back in the day he was a hell of a running back.

Dicky Betts of Allman Brothers fame passed at the age of 80. That red guitar will be missed.

21. Default Re: Obituary Thread, famous people, places & events.

^
    This one hurts. I've always loved ABB songs. And Betts was one of those players that could make a guitar cry or sing. Very sad day.

Blog Entries

Multiple Locations Re: Obituary Thread, famous people, places & events.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

Why is this in the obituary thread?

24. Default Re: Obituary Thread, famous people, places & events.

I think this must be some kind of reporting problem but there is an article from 4/17/24 saying Gary England passed away. Its not on any major media so l'm thinking it's false?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I think this must be some kind of reporting problem but there is an article from 4/17/24 saying Gary England passed away. Its not on any major media so l'm thinking it's false?
    i think it'd be reported more widely if that were true. besides, his social media has posts more recently than that.

EDIT: here's a person from bethany that passed away on the 20th that shares the name... maybe that's contributing to some confusion. Gary England Obituary - Mercer-Adams Funeral Service - 2024 (legacy.com)

Thread Information