Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayfair Shopping Center

Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

I confirmed they will be demolishing the old service station and adjoining retail space (shown in red). The existing tailor and barber shop will be relocated elsewhere in the center.

I believe they may also demo the section shown in blue and then redevelop this entire area; the UPS store is moving next to Michaels. I suspect they are trying to find a fast food place for the corner.

2. Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

When a gas station closes this way, are they required to remove the underground tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    When a gas station closes this way, are they required to remove the underground tanks?
    Not certain about removal, but I bet it is all but impossible to build a non-gas station on the site until they are removed. Probably won't loan on the site unless tanks removed.

Interesting. Hopefully will be something good - but I can't think of a fast food restaurant that doesn't already exist within like .75 miles of this location. Lamees Tailor Shop is the best - good to hear it sounds like she's not going far. Our office is behind the Central Presbyterian Church and we've been joking that an OnCue is probably due for one of these corners - which I supposed wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. (Edit: Just read the other thread stating an OnCue is going in just north of here - so I guess not. Will be interesting to see what happens.)

^

OnCue could always sell that old Founders Bank parcel as they prefer hard corners.

But that would also put them closer to their 36th & May location and they may not want that.

I live nearby and it's sad to see the church go but only 30 people were left in that congregation. Whatever comes next will at least have the possibility of me using it.

I'm sure that cool SW section of Mayfair will get at least one good restaurant due to the planned patio. It's frustrating to live in the middle of one of the densest areas of the city and have zero places to walk to. The Oak would change all that but that is going to take a long time I'm afraid.

Blog Entries

Someone on twitter said they heard it could be a walgreens, maybe they'll build new across the street and sell the old lot... which still leaves a corner open for something else here. Who knows if true.

There’s been some stone installed that looks different than the renderings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E608925A-1B46-4932-B830-E104B859C93D.jpeg 
Views:	166 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	16882

^

Yes, I think they had to make some tweaks on the fly once they dug into the structure.

Harbor Freight will be taking all the space directly south of the bank:

I like that addition. Harbor Freight has some surprisingly good stuff. Now you've got Lowe's, Harbor Freight, and Home Depot all within a 2 mile stretch of May Ave. Not to mention Westlake Ace Hardware over on 23rd and Penn.

Blog Entries

Hopefully they hadn't just spent money to refurb that exterior only for it to be torn out.

^

There hasn't been any work to that section as of yet.

It's a good get and a good use of that space.

Most of that center is very deep, which means it's only useful for big tenants. This particular section is between Aldi and Interbank which don't match the rest of the center and it's all pretty disconnected.

Looking forward to the east section being completely redone and the property continuing to fill up. It's been largely empty and derelict for far too long.

14. Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

Amen!

That's awesome. I've not yet made it down to Harbor Freight, but have been meaning to for quite some time. Having it this close to me will be very handy, I'm betting.

I've never been into any of their stores but am somewhat of a tool junky.

I look forward to having it so close.

17. Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

It's my store of choice for hand tools..... Pretty happy with the radial arm saw and drill press I got there too but not a fan of the table saw.

Blog Entries

I'm not a handy person and don't have a lot of tools, but being in that place makes me want to buy all the tools. How do they do that?

I think this is a great move from any angle. Because InterBank next door is an old fashioned banking facility that has too much square footage for today's needs, I think their parking will be excellent overflow for Harbor Freight on the 5-10 days per year parking could possibly be an issue. Harbor Freight has been cleaning up their image to be seen as something more than cheapo Chinese tools whose customers are only the most broke down, hack-azz former "professional", and the cheapest front yard hobbyist.

On the hand tool side, I think Harbor Freight tools are 95% as good as "professional" brands, like Snap-On, etc. Their shortcoming is in long term durability for the heavy user and the hard to remove, or access, nut, bolt and screw. I figured out years ago that my greatest risk in the shop is losing tools, rather than wearing out. We gonna lose a 10, 13 or 17mm socket by the dozen before we get to the one bolt that needs the superior grip of the Mac or Snap-On wrench.

Even in the paint shop, the $30 primer gun is as good at the $400 name brand units in low volume situations. And much more palatable when we forget to clean out the gun when it has activated products in it and they clog all passages.

20. Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

I think I'm in the minority here, but I'm disappointed that this side of the road is just turning into a bunch of individual store fronts with zero style tying them together. It's for sure a suburban strip center, but they could have at least tried something to keep them together.

BomberMWC, I agree with you. Mayfair used to look like it had a little bit of style. I think the direction they have gone is disappointing.

HangryHippo Guest

I agree. There could be some attempt to unify designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Noticed today that the part that goes north from the SW structure was torn down. At first, I thought it was due to a roof collapse, but it looks like it was a part of the plan the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Sorry, this is the rendering that shows it was supposed to be torn down the whole time.

Thread Information