Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 455 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252671121 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

1. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

With Charleston's doing such a thriving business, I was surprised when I called to see about togo orders and was told "All Hal Smith restaurants are closed." That's a lot of people not working.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I agree there is a lot of that. I went into an eatery this morning in WeHo and you had to wash your hands before you could walk around and shop for food. While I can see the mentality behind I just fail to understand how that would prevent anyone from getting sick if I had the virus.

Now I’m not suggesting you shouldn’t wash your hands obviously.
    So, let's say you sneezed on your steering wheel on your way over, then you touched the wheel. If you then went in and touched items in the store, or the basket, or the credit card reader and pin pad, etc., etc., etc. then you could spread it that way to the next to touch any of those items. They now believe that the virus can live up to 3 DAYS or more on plastic, stainless steel, and other hard surfaces, and hours on boxes, etc. If you sterilize BEFORE going in and touching, then it greatly reduces the odds of spread. If you cough or sneeze while there, all bets are off.

3. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So, let's say you sneezed on your steering wheel on your way over, then you touched the wheel. If you then went in and touched items in the store, or the basket, or the credit card reader and pin pad, etc., etc., etc. then you could spread it that way to the next to touch any of those items. They now believe that the virus can live up to 3 DAYS or more on plastic, stainless steel, and other hard surfaces, and hours on boxes, etc. If you sterilize BEFORE going in and touching, then it greatly reduces the odds of spread. If you cough or sneeze while there, all bets are off.
    I’d imagine that if your actively shedding the virus then the pre-shopping hand wash is a bandaid at best. It’s another ‘feel good’ measure. I can touch the infected shopping cart all I want as long as I wash my hands before touching a mucous membrane or non-intact skin. Of course none of that addresses those billions of droplets in the air. ZERO. I bet we are going to find that touch transfer is fairly insignificant compared to simply inhaling it.

Here, I think, a good video summarizing the whole ordeal:
    The Coronavirus Explained & What You Should Do

Of course, as we've already seen in this thread, we're going to selectively trust and follow the advice of only the people or sources we choose and most often those sources are going to be the ones that best align with our pre-conceived or desired worldview. We will dismiss sources that don't align with us.

I'd say that hindsight will reveal the truth, but in all honesty if we come out of this relatively unscathed the predominant thought will surely be "we way over-reacted" regardless of what measures were or were not taken. Conversely, if this all goes (further) to hell in a handbasket the response will almost certainly be "there was nothing we could have done to prevent this", again regardless of what measures we did or didn't take.

Anyway, I like the video though.

We went out for the first time in four days yesterday, and the only stop was to get gas for our van. I picked up the handle using a Clorox wipes, pressed the keypad buttons with a Clorox wipe, and inserted/removed my card holding a Clorox wipe. I then wiped down the card with another Clorox wipe.

I then wiped down my door handle, steering wheel, gear shift, turn signal, and armrest, then threw the wipe away before I got back in the car. I don't think I touched anything with bare fingers/hands.

Drove around a bit just to get out of the house, and noticed the TriCity WalMart parking lot was essentially business as usual and not exceptionally full. It was weird seeing most restaurants closed other than drive-thrus.

So many don’t want to believe or simply don’t understand how or financial system works. If we as a county do what we are currently doing for 30 more days we will be I. A Great Depression type environment. Do it for 60 more days. And our way of life might be over for ever.

OK Dept. of Health just updated statistics:

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    We went out for the first time in four days yesterday, and the only stop was to get gas for our van. I picked up the handle using a Clorox wipes, pressed the keypad buttons with a Clorox wipe, and inserted/removed my card holding a Clorox wipe. I then wiped down the card with another Clorox wipe.

I then wiped down my door handle, steering wheel, gear shift, turn signal, and armrest, then threw the wipe away before I got back in the car. I don't think I touched anything with bare fingers/hands.

Drove around a bit just to get out of the house, and noticed the TriCity WalMart parking lot was essentially business as usual and not exceptionally full. It was weird seeing most restaurants closed other than drive-thrus.
    When going to the store or wherever you should wear latex type disposable gloves. After exiting wherever then either throw gloves away and use the 60%+ sanitizer on them and reuse.

9. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Here, I think, a good video summarizing the whole ordeal:
    The Coronavirus Explained & What You Should Do

Of course, as we've already seen in this thread, we're going to selectively trust and follow the advice of only the people or sources we choose and most often those sources are going to be the ones that best align with our pre-conceived or desired worldview. We will dismiss sources that don't align with us.

I'd say that hindsight will reveal the truth, but in all honesty if we come out of this relatively unscathed the predominant thought will surely be "we way over-reacted" regardless of what measures were or were not taken. Conversely, if this all goes (further) to hell in a handbasket the response will almost certainly be "there was nothing we could have done to prevent this", again regardless of what measures we did or didn't take.

Anyway, I like the video though.
    One of the only people on this entire site speaking and truth.

@betts, I tried to send you a DM but your box is full.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    When going to the store or wherever you should wear latex type disposable gloves. After exiting wherever then either throw gloves away and use the 60%+ sanitizer on them and reuse.
    Please do not wear latex gloves unless you have specifically been directed to do so by your health care provider. Instead, wipe surfaces well and follow the handwashing guidelines.
    Gloves are needed in the supply chain for healthcare workers. The general public does not need gloves.

12. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Please do not wear latex gloves unless you have specifically been directed to do so by your health care provider. Instead, wipe surfaces well and follow the handwashing guidelines.
    Gloves are needed in the supply chain for healthcare workers. The general public does not need gloves.
    The healthcare workers are not getting gloves from the same places the general public does. This is a supply chain issue that starts and ends with the manufacturers/distributors. Mercy hospital doesn't run to Walmart to buy gloves or masks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    OK Dept. of Health just updated statistics:

NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are way more than 18 people in Oklahoma that are sick with this virus. I went to go help them at Braums today the are desperate for help cause they are so busy. I had to go kick people out of the store. We had more than 10 people in line. It 's not grocery that's busy it's the fountain. Sales at the store i went to today is up $100 for lunch hour. It's crazy how many people are still going out and about IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are way more than 18 people in Oklahoma that are sick with this virus. I went to go help them at Braums today the are desperate for help cause they are so busy. I had to go kick people out of the store. We had more than 10 people in line. It 's not grocery that's busy it's the fountain. Sales at the store i went to today is up $100 for lunch hour. It's crazy how many people are still going out and about IMO.
    The chart says there are 44 in Oklahoma - The 18 is Oklahoma *County*

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    The healthcare workers are not getting gloves from the same places the general public does. This is a supply chain issue that starts and ends with the manufacturers/distributors. Mercy hospital doesn't run to Walmart to buy gloves or masks.
    From the WHO directive on glove use,
    "The use of gloves when not indicated represents a waste
    of resources and does not contribute to a reduction of
    cross-transmission.
    • It may also result in missed opportunities for hand hygiene."

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    So many don’t want to believe or simply don’t understand how or financial system works. If we as a county do what we are currently doing for 30 more days we will be I. A Great Depression type environment. Do it for 60 more days. And our way of life might be over for ever.
    So 11 million dead is a worthwhile price to pay to save the economy while we wait 18 months for (hopefully) a vaccine? You might feel that way until the victims are people you love. I don’t see any easy answers here.

We are slowly bleeding. Until we have a complete shut down of everything like Christmas day this is just going to keep going and going and going. Not that a complete shut down might total stop it but it will give us time to see if these new drug work and get more test ready.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Mercy hospital doesn't run to Walmart to buy gloves or masks.
    True. Instead they are asking physicians to buy their own at Home Depot or Harbor Freight and be reimbursed later.

https://twitter.com/SolNataMD/status...244231168?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    The chart says there are 44 in Oklahoma - The 18 is Oklahoma *County*
    kukblue1's point still stands, there are way more than 44 people in OK that have it, we haven't tested nearly enough people. Oh, and related to that, OK is one of the seven states Rachel Maddow called out for not doing enough, haven't watched the clip yet, just read a short story about it.

True. Instead they are asking physicians to buy their own at Home Depot or Harbor Freight and be reimbursed later.

https://twitter.com/SolNataMD/status...244231168?s=20
    There can be many reasons.

First off this is in Florida.

Second its not uncommon for companies in shortages or crisis to use direct buying by employee due to not having credit accounts set up. You don’t just ask them to trust you we’ll pay you later. So the shortcut is direct buying.

Third, its likely their purchasing folks are overwhelmed with replenishing every supply in that hospital and anything that can be done like this helps. Due to public run on everything it means much more time devoted to just basics.

I could not imagine being in a purchasing position right now it must be madness 24/7 trying to get everything to run a hospital. Wipes are hard to get for anyone regardless public or private as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    kukblue1's point still stands, there are way more than 44 people in OK that have it, we haven't tested nearly enough people. Oh, and related to that, OK is one of the seven states Rachel Maddow called out for not doing enough, haven't watched the clip yet, just read a short story about it.
    Saw this article this morning, which does not exactly make me optimistic for how things are going to unfold in Oklahoma.

23. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

From the WHO directive on glove use,
    "The use of gloves when not indicated represents a waste
    of resources and does not contribute to a reduction of
    cross-transmission.
    • It may also result in missed opportunities for hand hygiene."
    I'm not advocating the use of gloves by civilians. I think it's ridiculous. Unless you have severely chapped hands or unintact skin, I don't see the purpose as a civilian. If it gets on your glove and you touch a mucous membrane, etc. you face infection. Otherwise, the virus simply being on your hand is not an extreme risk. Just be mindful what you touch and wash your hands often.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Saw this article this morning, which does not exactly make me optimistic for how things are going to unfold in Oklahoma.
    Thanks. Far too many people going out and about IMO. Glad to see places starting to close. Kohl's, TJ maxx, Marshalls. In Michigan and Indiana even Dentist offices have closed. Factories are closing up there. Seems like to me people in Oklahoma are taking a ho hum approach to all this.

Does anyone know, are restaurants in cities such as Moore, Edmond, Yukon, Midwest City, and Del City also just doing takeout/delivery, or are their dining areas still open?

Thread Information