Widgets Magazine
Page 100 of 455 FirstFirst ... 509596979899100101102103104105150200 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

1. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Jackson View Post
    not all of those deaths occurred within the last 24 hrs. there is a lag in reporting, as has been discussed.

I’d say the 3-day and 7-day averages are trending in the right direction. We’re in the back end of the Supercycle.
    Here are hospitalization and death graphs updated today. I don’t see how it could be argued that we aren’t better now than a month ago.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1AF0E62B-F4E4-4E77-A8BB-BDDCB29C41EC.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	16092Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E986BDBB-F0B8-4F81-9F8E-5AC41DD171B6.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	16093

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    This entire pandemic has been handled miserably in my opinion - both on the part of the government, 'experts' and the population. Hopefully we've learned something, but I doubt it.
    The real hope here is that maybe the "experts" (make sure we put quotes around experts there to cast doubt on them!) on pandemics learned something from BBatesOKC about how to fight a pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Greggo71 View Post
    The constant moving of the goal posts gets a little exhausting - at some point we all have to agree the worst is behind us and begin living our lives again.
    - Said everyone in 1918 before the Influenza came back twice as hard, killing millions.

There are reasonable discussions about how we move forward as a society during a pandemic with many possible approaches. And then there are about 1/3rd of the posters here who oversimplify the pandemic to something like: I'm bored and this stupid. Let me #livemylife. A lot of these posters seem to present binary options: quarantine until the economy collapses OR live free. This pandemic really is all about nuance. Of course, we re-open businesses, but we should do so carefully. Is it so hard that we can't agree on that?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    There are reasonable discussions about how we move forward as a society during a pandemic with many possible approaches. And then there are about 1/3rd of the posters here who oversimplify the pandemic to something like: I'm bored and this stupid. Let me #livemylife. A lot of these posters seem to present binary options: quarantine until the economy collapses OR live free. This pandemic really is all about nuance. Of course, we re-open businesses, but we should do so carefully. Is it so hard that we can't agree on that?
    And there are about 1/3rd who literally freak out over EVERY new case (slight exaggeration, but only slight). Why do we have to have fear mongerers? There are extreme views on both sides - happy go luck and doom and gloom. The number of true moderates on this topic are few.

when is the cinco de mayo party at Kongs spike going to hit?

It was on May 5th so the spike should be happening right now right?

Pete, it sucks what this virus has done to the board. So much agitation, aggression, politics spilling out everywhere. Every body thinks their view point is so right and everybody who disagrees with them is a complete moron.

OKCtalk has been one of the few corners of the internet that could have civil discourse, but it seems like posters have come out of nowhere to do nothing but fan flames on everything.

We are dealing with the biggest catastrophe in most of our lives and all anybody wants to do is be right instead of having legitimate discussion. Its sick.

People picked a side from the very beginning based on their political leanings and have done nothing but find data that confirms their initial biases through the entire ordeal.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Pete, it sucks what this virus has done to the board. So much agitation, aggression, politics spilling out everywhere. Every body thinks their view point is so right and everybody who disagrees with them is a complete moron.

OKCtalk has been one of the few corners of the internet that could have civil discourse, but it seems like posters have come out of nowhere to do nothing but fan flames on everything.

We are dealing with the biggest catastrophe in most of our lives and all anybody wants to do is be right instead of having legitimate discussion. Its sick.

People picked a side from the very beginning based on their political leanings and have done nothing but find data that confirms their initial biases through the entire ordeal.
    I agree but it is a complete parallel to what has happened in this country overall.

Absolutely everything is politicized and polarized and the discussion here is a direct reflection of that.

9. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

- Said everyone in 1918 before the Influenza came back twice as hard, killing millions.
    I thought that this Coronavirus shouldn’t ever be compared to the Flu, at least that’s what the experts have been telling me.

The key is that it also killed millions during the first wave...

11. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I agree but it is a complete parallel to what has happened in this country overall.

Absolutely everything is politicized and polarized and the discussion here is a direct reflection of that.
    I’m on a couple other forums that have COVID threads that are WAY worse than this.

Went to Uptown in The Village and the Homeland just south of it on May today, first time we've been to either in months. We were wearing masks (correctly) and not touching them or our faces at all. Uptown employees were decently masked and sometimes gloved, with a few exceptions, and customers were about 50% masked. Homeland was a different story - maybe 2/3 of the employees were masked, quite a few of them didn't have the masks over their noses, some had them on their chins, some were actually rubbing their noses and eyes. About 2/3 of the customers were not wearing masks and probably half of those were wearing them incorrectly. Maybe we should just open everything up, get that second wave/spike over with instead of having so many people half-a** their protection and have this drag on for months...

13. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

The real hope here is that maybe the "experts" (make sure we put quotes around experts there to cast doubt on them!) on pandemics learned something from BBatesOKC about how to fight a pandemic.
    Well, "Dankrutka," you go right on ahead and keep forgetting all the predictions that they (the 'experts') got wrong. And I'll keep reminding myself what I said from the very beginning - that I can't help but wonder if this is all a great big overreaction. Up to this point, that's exactly how it appears to me.

14. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

There could be a second spike, or not. There could be lots of little spikes, or not. It could pretty much level off at a level and stay, or not. It could (unlikely but it would be great) slowly trail off and go away, or not. It could be some conglomeration of some or all of the above. No one has a clue which will happen and won’t know until after it’s over and done with.

15. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Heard a really interesting interview on the way home from work. I was at Twin Peaks the night of the Thunder - Utah game that was at the beginning of everything going downhill. It was odd watching a half hour of “what the hell”. Gov Stitt was on Traber’s show on the Animal and talked about it. He and his son were at the game. He got a call from the chief of the health dept. saying that a Jazz player had tested positive. At this point no one else knew. Stitt went to Sam Presti and Clay Bennett and they went to a private area and discussed the situation. The NBA Commissioner was called to see what NBA policy was but of course there wasn’t one yet. The decision was made to call off the game. Then a discussion was had about how to announce it to the crowd in order to get the calmest reaction possible. I had really been curious about what happened during that half hour.

I have real concerns about our over 65 population in Okc as well as nationally. Many have not saved adequately for retirement and many counted on continuing to work as part of their "retirement" plan. What happens to all these seniors who lose work because they are high risk or because the company can avoid an age discrimination lawsuit by saying that the layoffs are due to $ loss from Covid. We are going to end up footing the bill for a lot of seniors falling into poverty.

Well, "Dankrutka," you go right on ahead and keep forgetting all the predictions that they (the 'experts') got wrong. And I'll keep reminding myself what I said from the very beginning - that I can't help but wonder if this is all a great big overreaction. Up to this point, that's exactly how it appears to me.
    Again, you think they got them "wrong" because you're not an epidemiologist and do not understand how modeling works. Models are NOT predictions. That's my point. You're misinterpreting basic stuff and blaming experts.

18. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Again, you think they got them "wrong" because you're not an epidemiologist and do not understand how modeling works. Models are NOT predictions. That's my point. You're misinterpreting basic stuff and blaming experts.
    If they aren’t to be taken as predictions then the modelers need to keep them to themselves. When published it’s human nature to assume that the model is a prediction. Otherwise why model and publish the model?

Quote Originally Posted by Greggo71 View Post
    The constant moving of the goal posts gets a little exhausting - at some point we all have to agree the worst is behind us and begin living our lives again.
    I don't think I understand your point. I'm living my best life (and avoiding public activity). No one is "moving the goal posts" here. The point is that a preoccupation with deaths alone obscures the fact that many survivors of all ages are permanently damaged by Covid 19. I'm sure you have read about the Swiss divers as an example.

I still don't understand the numbers sometimes. Executive Order Report for 5-18 shows COVID-19 Cases Currently Hospitalized: 63 (49 in ICU)
    Persons Under Investigation in Hospital: 104 (28 in ICU) So 167 Total. Today's report shows COVID-19 Cases Currently Hospitalized: 74 (56 in ICU)
    Persons Under Investigation in Hospital: 135 (36 in ICU) So 209. But the numbers today only showed I think 6 new Hospitalized. So is it just more people that were currently in the hospital they think might have Covid now?

Back and forth. What Pete posted is so true about the division in society as a whole. The division we see is a direct result of populist governments that stir up the population to not trust the government, drive conspiracy theories for political purposes, on and on it goes. It was inevitable that a pandemic (long predicted) would be politically charged by these same divisive voices. It leads to “who can you trust” thinking when populism has torn down the authority of government, and those in power feed off that very sentiment — about everything. So, here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I do appreciate your charts/spreadsheets showing historical numbers. Please don't stop as it is a good point of reference for many of us. This was buried in all the posts from the last page, but here are the reposted 5/19/20 numbers:

23. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

I'm not just talking models - which they got horribly wrong at every turn. But keep doing what you do and cherry pick to fit your narrative. We had 'experts' being presented that falsely said how the virus was spread, that we didn't need masks, the list goes on and on.

But yeah, we should instead listen to the anonymous poster on OKCTalk instead of applying common sense to what has happened up to this point. Stomp your foot and stick out your tongue all you want and tell yourself how smart you are and how ignorant everyone else is. But guess what? The country is reopening - haphazardly and with no clear plan, but it's opening nonetheless. The sad fact of the matter is the citizens have been on their own from the beginning. Lots of mistakes were made and will continue to be made. But at this point there is no option but to reopen. If people want to do it carefree and carelessly - they'll most likely be a part of the new statistics. If they want to do it while applying common sense, they fortunately will most likely fall within the overwhelming majority this virus has little or not effect on.

24. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

I'm not just talking models - which they got horribly wrong at every turn. But keep doing what you do and cherry pick to fit your narrative. We had 'experts' being presented that falsely said how the virus was spread, that we didn't need masks, the list goes on and on.

But yeah, we should instead listen to the anonymous poster on OKCTalk instead of applying common sense to what has happened up to this point. Stomp your foot and stick out your tongue all you want and tell yourself how smart you are and how ignorant everyone else is. But guess what? The country is reopening - haphazardly and with no clear plan, but it's opening nonetheless. The sad fact of the matter is the citizens have been on their own from the beginning. Lots of mistakes were made and will continue to be made. But at this point there is no option but to reopen. If people want to do it carefree and carelessly - they'll most likely be a part of the new statistics. If they want to do it while applying common sense, they fortunately will most likely fall within the overwhelming majority this virus has little or not effect on.
    Dan is anything but anonymous.

This is the exact type of rhetoric that got you banned last time.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Dan is anything but anonymous.

This is the exact type of rhetoric that got you banned last time.
    And now perma-banned.

Thread Information