Widgets Magazine
Page 60 of 455 FirstFirst ... 105556575859606162636465110160 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

1. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Your own anecdote doesn't reflect reality.... People ARE going about their day locally and yet there is no "havoc" in their wake. If you think these numbers locally are havoc, then don't Google death rates of virtually ANYTHING else - you'll never go outside.
    You're right. 23,000 dead in a month from 1 virus is pretty much on par for every other major killer in the US.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deaths.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	15963

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Seems like it would be hard to hide from Heart Disease or Cancer by not going outside. In the case of the former, that's probably even counterproductive.

3. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Your own anecdote doesn't reflect reality.... People ARE going about their day locally and yet there is no "havoc" in their wake. If you think these numbers locally are havoc, then don't Google death rates of virtually ANYTHING else - you'll never go outside.
    No, people ARE NOT going about their day locally. No one I know is "going about their day". They are all observing Shelter in Place. I guess I just have responsible friends. But because of us and most other Oklahomans are following the health recommendations then some think they can "go about their day" and when they don't contract the virus they think there is no need to follow the recommendations.

It's kind of like the Anti-Vaxxers whose kids don't get small pox because EVERYONE ELSE got their shots.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    You're right. 23,000 dead in a month from 1 virus is pretty much on par for every other major killer in the US.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deaths.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	15963
    Does this chart rep one month in 2017 or is it reporting the previous 12 months prior to the 2017 reporting?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    It is almost pointless to bring up that percentage in Oklahoma due to systemic under counting anything but the worst cases
    This exactly. I have asked but nobody seems to know if the numbers the Oklahoma State Health Dept. are reporting include nursing homes, State of Oklahoma Veterans Centers, Federal Hospitals( VA, PHS, or military hospitals).

6. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Does this chart rep one month in 2017 or is it reporting the previous 12 months prior to the 2017 reporting?
    This is where the numbers come from: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/n...r68_06-508.pdf

They are from the whole year in 2017.

7. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    No, people ARE NOT going about their day locally. No one I know is "going about their day". They are all observing Shelter in Place. I guess I just have responsible friends. But because of us and most other Oklahomans are following the health recommendations then some think they can "go about their day" and when they don't contract the virus they think there is no need to follow the recommendations.

It's kind of like the Anti-Vaxxers whose kids don't get small pox because EVERYONE ELSE got their shots.
    Keep telling yourself that.

In the mean time, some countries and other parts of the globe without shelter in place are also not seeing the doomsday numbers the media has been predicting. You absolutely see areas where numbers are alarmingly high, but you also see numbers that are relatively low. Exactly why that is has yet to be determined.

I'm confident in the future we will see that in less densely populated areas the stay at home at all cost was way too dramatic and had very little effect on the total numbers but did wreak havoc on their economy.

And, yes, many people are going about their day. Everywhere I go (Sam's, Costco, WalMart, Lowes, Target, HomeDepot, Neighborhood Market, 7-11, OnCue, etc.) all have lots of people there too. Not full, but plenty of people. Went to Walmart this morning and had to wait in a cue to get to self checkout because they were all full.

Here's a tip, if you feel the need, go run and hide at home. Me being about isn't going to effect you.

I'm in a high risk group because of my stage 3 cancer. I also visit my high risk 94 year old grandfather every other day because he needs groceries, errands run and things of that nature.

Wash your hands, be mindful of what you touch, give people their personal space, monitor your vitals and if you are in a high risk group and feel the need - stay home. Not in a high risk group and exercise general precautionary measures, do what you need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    It is almost pointless to bring up that percentage in Oklahoma due to systemic under counting anything but the worst cases
    Generally I agree. However, many more people are being teated now so it is not farcical to report this. Importantly the US number is around 4%, so Boulder’s swipe was unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Generally I agree. However, many more people are being teated now so it is not farcical to report this. Importantly the US number is around 4%, so Boulder’s swipe was unfounded.
    Here’s a study that estimates that the US could have had 10 million infected at the end of March. At the end of March there was 4,064 deaths in the US, so you’re looking at a mortality rate of .04%. Anyone can play this game with any set of numbers they want to.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-...MiZl-ceJWu28WE

10. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

And, yes, many people are going about their day. Everywhere I go (Sam's, Costco, WalMart, Lowes, Target, HomeDepot, Neighborhood Market, 7-11, OnCue, etc.) all have lots of people there too. Not full, but plenty of people. Went to Walmart this morning and had to wait in a cue to get to self checkout because they were all full.

Here's a tip, if you feel the need, go run and hide at home. Me being about isn't going to effect you.
    And just like the Anti-Vaxxers, you and the others who are going about the normal life can thank those of us who are making the sacrifice to stay home and limit community spread for the fact that Oklahoma is not a hot spot.

Also, please cite countries without shelter in place with numbers in line with countries that do have shelter in place. Sweden has a low key approach, but they seem to be having second thoughts.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9462796.html

"I’ve never written so many death certificates. I’ve never worked this many hours,” says an exhausted Issa Yacoub, a doctor working in Sodersjukhuset, one of Stockholm’s largest public hospitals."
    "Sweden’s cases are rising. The country of some 10 million now has more than 10,000 cases and 887 deaths. Its total death toll is higher than that of all the other Nordic countries put together."

Great Britain tried the herd immunity approach for a while, but switched when it became clear that that policy was a disaster.

11. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by OKC_Chipper View Post
    Here’s a study that estimates that the US could have had 10 million infected at the end of March. At the end of March there was 4,064 deaths in the US, so you’re looking at a mortality rate of .04%. Anyone can play this game with any set of numbers they want to.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-...MiZl-ceJWu28WE

And now there are 20,000+ deaths. Do you think the number of infections went up to 50 million so you could keep your mortality rate at .04%?

In fact the deaths due to COVID-19 are being undercounted due to the early shortage of tests. Here's an article:https://thebulwark.com/newsletter-is...than-we-think/
    "most localities seem to be ascribing deaths to COVID-19 only in the presence of a positive test. And since we’ve had a persistent shortage of tests, many patients in serious condition are admitted without being tested, since they are presumed positive cases and the test can be better used on someone else."

"Since 2000, the annual monthly variance in deaths has stayed within a very small and relatively stable band: within a few hundred, plus or minus, the monthly average. There’s one big outlier, of course, for September 2001.

Now look at the 30-day period ending on April 4, 2020: 5,330 more deaths than the monthly average. And of those, only 3,350 have been officially ascribed to COVID-19."

12. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    And just like the Anti-Vaxxers, you and the others who are going about the normal life can thank those of us who are making the sacrifice to stay home and limit community spread for the fact that Oklahoma is not a hot spot.

Also, please cite countries without shelter in place with numbers in line with countries that do have shelter in place. Sweden has a low key approach, but they seem to be having second thoughts.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9462796.html

"I’ve never written so many death certificates. I’ve never worked this many hours,” says an exhausted Issa Yacoub, a doctor working in Sodersjukhuset, one of Stockholm’s largest public hospitals."
    "Sweden’s cases are rising. The country of some 10 million now has more than 10,000 cases and 887 deaths. Its total death toll is higher than that of all the other Nordic countries put together."

Great Britain tried the herd immunity approach for a while, but switched when it became clear that that policy was a disaster.
    Well, you just keep "sacrificing" LOL

You can cherry pick all the quotes you want. The total numbers are the reality and when put in perspective have yet to prove themselves the doomsday that was predicted.

But yeah, YOU'RE THE TRUE AMERICAN HERO! (sigh)

Blog Entries

Great hyperbole... ALL. NONE. NEVER. ALWAYS. EVERYTHING. ANYTHING. NOTHING'

My analogy stands. There are those who are positive and asymptomatic and if they willy-nilly go on they will infect many others who are not so fortunate and will come down with symptoms and some will die. Heck, you may be one, either a carrier who infects without knowledge of the damage you cause, or the one hit by someone else with their head in the sand, and you fall ill or die. Roll the dice. The rest of us prefer to follow sensible actions to minimize the possibility of us being the cause of others' deaths, or us being a victim.

By the way, your definition of chaos means it is only chaos if it affects your loved ones, not someone else's.

14. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Great hyperbole... ALL. NONE. NEVER. ALWAYS. EVERYTHING. ANYTHING. NOTHING'

My analogy stands. There are those who are positive and asymptomatic and if they willy-nilly go on they will infect many others who are not so fortunate and will come down with symptoms and some will die. Heck, you may be one, either a carrier who infects without knowledge of the damage you cause, or the one hit by someone else with their head in the sand, and you fall ill or die. Roll the dice. The rest of us prefer to follow sensible actions to minimize the possibility of us being the cause of others' deaths, or us being a victim.

By the way, your definition of chaos means it is only chaos if it affects your loved ones, not someone else's.
    So, when flu season rolls around I expect to hear you're all posted up inside your home for weeks or months. Or, do those 25,000-80,000 Americans that die from contracting the flu mean nothing to you? Or, are you just doing what so many of us do and suffer from selective outrage when and where it suits you?

^

First 30 day vacation.

We need to be abe to discuss these issues without the hostility and anger.

So, when flu season rolls around I expect to hear you're all posted up inside your home for weeks or months. Or, do those 25,000-80,000 Americans that die from contracting the flu mean nothing to you? Or, are you just doing what so many of us do and suffer from selective outrage when and where it suits you?
    there are things i can do for the flu... i can get the flu vaccine... heck, i can easily get tested for the flu. there are treatments if you get the flu.

now. if i get the flu, will i avoid going to my parents house because they are older? will i try and avoid going out in public as much as possible?
    yes, i was doing these in years past.

Numbers just updated for Tuesday:

Keep telling yourself that.

In the mean time, some countries and other parts of the globe without shelter in place are also not seeing the doomsday numbers the media has been predicting. You absolutely see areas where numbers are alarmingly high, but you also see numbers that are relatively low. Exactly why that is has yet to be determined.

I'm confident in the future we will see that in less densely populated areas the stay at home at all cost was way too dramatic and had very little effect on the total numbers but did wreak havoc on their economy.

I'm in a high risk group because of my stage 3 cancer. I also visit my high risk 94 year old grandfather every other day because he needs groceries, errands run and things of that nature.

Wash your hands, be mindful of what you touch, give people their personal space, monitor your vitals and if you are in a high risk group and feel the need - stay home. Not in a high risk group and exercise general precautionary measures, do what you need to do.
    Yeah my family and I have stayed home for the most part outside of running errands for food and other necessary things but last Saturday, since we finally had a fairly nice weekend, we took a trip out to Roman Nose State Park and hiked around the trail system there. There were quite a few families out there doing the same thing and everyone was doing a pretty good job of keeping their distance between groups. Fortunately, unlike Gov Abbot in TX, Gov. Stitt has allowed all of our state parks to remain open to visitors with camping restricted to self contained RVs (since basic tent camping generally requires the use of shared facilities). I'd highly recommend visiting one, it's a great way to get outside and be active during all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Then they are more than a little dramatic. If they are so concerned, they can stay home themselves and be fine. The numbers seem to indicate what we’re doing is working.
    Great point. They are just drama queens from out of state. Love it or leave it. Nothing to see here.

Some interesting scholarship from the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/m...=linked-google

Peter Singer actually gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Great point. They are just drama queens from out of state. Love it or leave it. Nothing to see here.
    Though that was obviously intended to be sarcastic...If they are debating their decision to move here because more people here are running errands and aren’t staying locked up in their homes 24/7 during a pandemic that will likely end up with a death rate well below 1%, then I agree with you. “Drama Queens” from the west coast they are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Though that was obviously intended to be sarcastic...If they are debating their decision to move here because more people here are running errands and aren’t staying locked up in their homes 24/7 during a pandemic that will likely end up with a death rate well below 1%, then I agree with you. “Drama Queens” from the west coast they are.
    I love how the 1% is being thrown around by certain political partisans. The truth is, no one knows the exact rate, just like they don't know from flu. However, we do know it is way more deadly than the flu, we have no proven drugs and are just learning best practices on treatments. Killing the spread at the root rather than the flower is a way better alternative.

And yes, the character of a place can be determined by how much social responsibility is shown during critical times. If the prevailing attitude of a place is denial of truth, priority of self over others, and lack of personal discipline and respect, then I can see why that might discourage some from relocating. People move here sometimes because of how nice people are and they can stay away if they think the general population is stupid, dogmatic and/or selfish.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ys/2987754001/ Grocery store is about the last place I would be going if at all possible. I went to Braums 6:30 this morning and I was the only one in there shopping. Cashier came over checked me out and I was gone. Very little interaction.

I guess what I'm saying is this is really just going to keep going and going and going. Sure the numbers are trending way down but social distancing is working. The second we lift the restrictions I'm afraid the numbers are going to go right back up quickly. Then again will people still go out if restrictions are lifted? I for one would think twice about going out to eat or going to a concert or ballgame. The numbers would almost have to be zero for me to consider it. I don't see the numbers being zero for a while as long as people are in and out of stores where it's spreading. Might not be spreading fast but it's still spreading.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I love how the 1% is being thrown around by certain political partisans. The truth is, no one knows the exact rate, just like they don't know from flu. However, we do know it is way more deadly than the flu, we have no proven drugs and are just learning best practices on treatments. Killing the spread at the root rather than the flower is a way better alternative.

And yes, the character of a place can be determined by how much social responsibility is shown during critical times. If the prevailing attitude of a place is denial of truth, priority of self over others, and lack of personal discipline and respect, then I can see why that might discourage some from relocating. People move here sometimes because of how nice people are and they can stay away if they think the general population is stupid, dogmatic and/or selfish.
    There is going to be an antibody survey released sometime this week by the University of Southern California. Lets see if it aligns with what we already see in from testing in South Korea, Germany, the Diamond Princess and most importantly an antibody survey by Germans that showed 15 percent population spread and .60 percent death rate. Which would probably be 1 percent since here in the US since we have an obesity problem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    There is going to be an antibody survey released sometime this week by the University of Southern California. Lets see if it aligns with what we already see in from testing in South Korea, Germany, the Diamond Princess and most importantly an antibody survey by Germans that showed 15 percent population spread and .60 percent death rate. Which would probably be 1 percent since here in the US since we have an obesity problem.
    And now, they are saying some deaths attributed to other causes like heart failures, were probably really brought on by the virus. There's still a lot to learn.

Thread Information