Widgets Magazine
Page 446 of 455 FirstFirst ... 346396441442443444445446447448449450451 ... LastLast
Results 11,126 to 11,150 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

These increasing numbers are not sustainable for our health care system. I hate to think what the numbers will be in the middle of next month as more kids/young adults return to class and activities.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i deserve this ... i didn't realize this was a thing with company provided .. medical insurance ... my fault ...
    At UAL, at least under my CBA, there are a multitude of plan options. But the rates are the same per plan, per individual. (I.e. different plans have different prices, but if you pick the same plan as I do we pay the same rate as each other) However we receive a $48/mo wellness credit for a tobacco free lifestyle. As far as I know it is the honor system as there are no health checkups required to confirm this. Not sure how it is enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    At UAL, at least under my CBA, there are a multitude of plan options. But the rates are the same per plan, per individual. (I.e. different plans have different prices, but if you pick the same plan as I do we pay the same rate as each other) However we receive a $48/mo wellness credit for a tobacco free lifestyle. As far as I know it is the honor system as there are no health checkups required to confirm this. Not sure how it is enforced.
    this is similar to all companies i have ever worked for ..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Next thing you know drivers who have wrecks, speeding tickets or DUIs will be paying higher premiums, amiright?
    When I worked for the railroad, that applied to the Engineers, (and conductors), that off duty driving involving speeding, ticketed offenses, and DUI ‘s would trigger suspension and separation from your job. Invasive? Maybe, but if you couldn’t drive by the rules, then you couldn’t be trusted to run trains.

^^ I think there's a significant difference for consequences for violating the law as opposed to various health metrics (especially since many that are used are not metrics that are intended to measure individual health, like BMI) being used to artificially inflate individuals healthcare premiums.

6. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    ^^ I think there's a significant difference for consequences for violating the law as opposed to various health metrics (especially since many that are used are not metrics that are intended to measure individual health, like BMI) being used to artificially inflate individuals healthcare premiums.
    BMI is not intended to measure individual health? Here are some risks if you have a high BMI:

cardiovascular (heart and blood circulation) disease.
    gallbladder disease.
    high blood pressure (hypertension)
    type 2 diabetes.
    osteoarthritis.
    certain types of cancer, such as colon and breast cancer.
    depression and other mental health disorders.

BMI is not intended to measure individual health? Here are some risks if you have a high BMI:

gallbladder disease.
    type 2 diabetes.
    osteoarthritis.
    bmi doesn't do a good job with those on either end of the scale ..

BMI provides a reasonable estimate of body fat for most people. However, it has limitations. For example, BMI may:

Underestimate body fat for older adults or people with low muscle mass
    Overestimate body fat for people who are very muscular and physically fit

gallbladder disease.
    type 2 diabetes.
    osteoarthritis.
    BMI is a good predictor for large groups of population, but it's largely worthless on an individual level. According to BMI I'm obese, but I'm 6'2", with less than 5% body fat, a 35 inch waste, and I run 30+ miles a week and I compete in 5ks and 10ks regularly. Dwayne Johnson's BMI score puts him over 30 as well, which also classifies him as obese. You absolutely CANNOT make a judgement on someone's health based on their BMI alone. It's especially inaccurate in athletes, the elderly, or many other situations (anyone shorter or taller than the "typical" range).

It can certainly be worthwhile to look at BMI for certain predictors (again, typically for groups) but we shouldn't be using it to grade an individual's health, or predict their future medical costs.

Here's what the CDC says about it -

BMI is a reasonable indicator of body fat for both adults and children. Because BMI
    does not measure body fat directly, it should not be used as a diagnostic tool. Instead,
    BMI should be used as a measure to track weight status in populations and as a
    screening tool to identify potential weight problems in individuals.
    https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/download...ctitioners.pdf

Basically, BMI might be useful for an initial screening, but it's meant to be followed up on for more analysis. Not as a score of health or a diagnostic tool in itself.

9. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

The last few years I rode hard I was obese by my BMI. But I could ride 100 miles in around 4 and a half hours. My wake-up heart rate was in the lower 30s BPM.

Does anyone know if this is true or can they confirm it?

Your decision not to take the vaccine will cost you money. Blue Cross Blue Shield and 3 other major health insurers have announced they will raise premiums for those unvaxed. You have until Sept 30....Clocks ticking! If your employer pays all or part of your health insurance, the increase could be enough they change how much they pay for or reduce coverage.

Hope so, Bobby. Hope so. What is the source of the information you cite?

Ok then how will this work for people who have health issues that prevent them from safely taking the vaccine?

13. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Ok then how will this work for people who have health issues that prevent them from safely taking the vaccine?
    A doctor would write a note for your insurance company.

Not likely that will happen with insurance company premiums. It would require changing the ACA. (We’ll all absorb the costs of people who don’t get vaccinated.) It’s possible employers will offer incentives to get employees vaccinated.

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/nation...ts-complicated

15. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    (We’ll all absorb the costs of people who don’t get vaccinated.)
    Who is absorbing the billions being spent on Covid now?

Who is absorbing the billions being spent on Covid now?
    Taxpayers, consumers, and insurance companies until their costs get passed along down the line.

17. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Taxpayers, consumers, and insurance companies until their costs get passed along down the line.
    Exactly. It's time to make the unvaccinated absorb at least some of those costs. That will motivate some of them to get vaccinated.

Delta airlines is actually charging unvaccinated employees $200/month more for insurance until they get vaccinated. Hope other employers do the same.

https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle...2ae8201f717d91

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Delta airlines is actually charging unvaccinated employees $200/month more for insurance until they get vaccinated. Hope other employers do the same.

https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle...2ae8201f717d91
    Yeah totally agree. But why stop there, There's a lot of other negative behavior people do to themselves all the time that are a burden to society and our healthcare. Obesity, smokers, drinkers, employers should be charging them extra as well.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Yeah totally agree. But why stop there, There's a lot of other negative behavior people do to themselves all the time that are a burden to society and our healthcare. Obesity, smokers, drinkers, employers should be charging them extra as well.
    As said above, it already happens for smoking.

COVID-19: High hospitalization rate puts Oklahoma fourth in the U.S.

The state remained in the federal government’s red ranking, which indicates the worst severity, in at least three categories over the previous seven days: test positivity, documented cases per capita and virus hospitalizations per capita.

Oklahoma has the highest test positivity rate in the nation at 23.1%, according to the latest data available. It is fourth in the U.S. with 21.9 confirmed COVID-19 hospital admissions per 100 inpatient beds and is ranked 13th for new cases per capita, with about 397 cases per 100,000 residents.

In a recent three-day average, 1,578 COVID patients were hospitalized in the state, with 419 of them in intensive care, according to state Health Department data. Sixty-six of those hospitalized are children — a figure that has been steadily increasing since the state began releasing the data in July.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    As said above, it already happens for smoking.
    Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...02#post1178702

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...03#post1178703

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...05#post1178705

Vaccinations in Oklahoma have been increasing.

For the week ending Wednesday, 34,540 more Oklahomans became fully vaccinated.

Last several weeks: 28,491; 21,439; 17,698; 16,241, 16,234; 15,871, 18,276.

Currently, about 42.5% of the population is fully vaxxed; about 56% of those 18+.

Thread Information