Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Santos Mexican Kitchen (formerly Chico Blanco)

Default Re: Chico Blanco (was to be San Marcos)

Considering Fuzzy's Tacos is so popular I doubt Chico Blanco will have any trouble with most people.

Here is a video tour by the owner, Jeff Rogers:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Here is a video tour by the owner, Jeff Rogers:

Beautiful space with nice design elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I know they are close.

I'd guess in the next couple of weeks.
    Oh wow, they sure did put this on hold for awhile after your post.

HangryHippo Guest

I love the interior, but the name is blah.

There is an interesting story behind the name. I believe there will be signage in the restaurant explaining the history of it.

The branding is problematic and will probably hurt sales. Very dumb.

I can't imagine enough people caring to make even a little difference.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I can't imagine enough people caring to make even a little difference.
    Especially if stores in Dallas already used the branding successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Again, a restaurant named Fuzzy's Tacos, which to me sounds very unappetizing taken on its own much less the double entendre built in, does fantastic business.

I doubt most people will even put together what Chico Blanco translates to and to be honest I'm struggling to see what's offensive about "white boy" at all.

Blog Entries

You probably need to move that part of the conversation to the politics side of the forum.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Again, a restaurant named Fuzzy's Tacos, which to me sounds very unappetizing taken on its own much less the double entendre built in, does fantastic business.

I doubt most people will even put together what Chico Blanco translates to and to be honest I'm struggling to see what's offensive about "white boy" at all.
    My take is - why would I want to eat at any Mexican, Greek, Chinese, African, ad infinitum named "white boy" in their own language? Just seems like they're aiming at a certain demographic and I'm nowhere close to it. There are plenty of other Mexican restaurants around, so I'm going to one of those, and I'm sure the owners of Chico Blanco won't miss me (just like I don't buy from Amazon, or Wal-mart or Charcoal oven, and I'm sure they don't miss me either, but I can rest easy in my own mind that I'm not giving money to someone whose business practices I don't care for).

Oh, and we ate at Fuzzy's once out of desperation, because they were the only thing around that we could eat at before a Stevie Wonder concert a few years ago, didn't like it and won't ever go back (but it wasn't because of the name).

When I lived in Manhattan Beach, there was an extremely popular place called El Gringo.

I don't think many diners really care about a name like that.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Not at all. People don't care about that stuff.

Also, as said, there are numerous examples of this name working very well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    My take is - why would I want to eat at any Mexican, Greek, Chinese, African, ad infinitum named "white boy" in their own language? Just seems like they're aiming at a certain demographic and I'm nowhere close to it. There are plenty of other Mexican restaurants around, so I'm going to one of those, and I'm sure the owners of Chico Blanco won't miss me (just like I don't buy from Amazon, or Wal-mart or Charcoal oven, and I'm sure they don't miss me either, but I can rest easy in my own mind that I'm not giving money to someone whose business practices I don't care for).

Oh, and we ate at Fuzzy's once out of desperation, because they were the only thing around that we could eat at before a Stevie Wonder concert a few years ago, didn't like it and won't ever go back (but it wasn't because of the name).
    Not sure what this is trying to say. It works in Dallas, and in LA County. If it can work there, is it really that problematic?

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Not sure what this is trying to say. It works in Dallas, and in LA County. If it can work there, is it really that problematic?
    It's not really that offensive to me, it's just stupid, so to some people, yes would be the answer. It's the same reason I don't watch a lot of the most popular TV shows/movies - they're aimed at people with a 12-year-old's sense of humor and I'm past that.

Hopefully we'll one day live in nation where restaurants will not be judged by the color in their name, but by the content of their menus.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Hopefully we'll one day live in nation where restaurants will not be judged by the color in their name, but by the content of their menus.
    Even if they had great Mexican food, I still wouldn't go, still think it's a stupid name.

Even if they had great Mexican food, I still wouldn't go, still think it's a stupid name.
    LOL, that's an impressive level of stubborn.

Who cares. The name doesn’t bother me at all. I don’t go to places based on the name. I think there are plenty of stupid restaurant names out there that are wildly successful.

I deleted several posts about the name.

Let's move on.

have they released any more hints as to what will be on the menu? typical tex mex?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    have they released any more hints as to what will be on the menu? typical tex mex?
    They've hired a couple of good chefs and the items I've seen them post look to be slightly elevated.

They have a massive, impressive kitchen. There is also a tortilla-making station at the front similar to Ted's.

They have pushed back their opening to a tentative date of July 9th.

Read today that White Boy is having a grand opening on July 12.

Thread Information