Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    The lowest bidder cutting corners and ignoring ADA requirements. Sounds about right for Oklahoma City. On par with the construction of Plaza Towers elementary school in Moore that killed students due to a tornado strike.
    That’s quite the leap to tie the two together.

Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    The lowest bidder cutting corners and ignoring ADA requirements. Sounds about right for Oklahoma City. On par with the construction of Plaza Towers elementary school in Moore that killed students due to a tornado strike.
    You have freedom of speech, yet use it to post this logic?

How long can a ramp be ADA?
    If the slope of a ramp is between 1:12 and 1:16, the maximum rise shall be 30 inches (760 mm) and the maximum horizontal run shall be 30 feet (9 m). If the slope of the ramp is between 1:16 and 1:20, the maximum rise shall be 30 inches (760 mm) and the maximum horizontal run shall be 40 feet (12 m).

How steep can ADA ramp be?
    What do the slope requirements for curb ramps and ramps mean? Slope is the ratio of the height of a ramp to its length. An ADA curb ramp must have no more than a 1:12 ratio, or no greater than a 8.33% slope. The ADA also requires slopes to be consistent from end to end; a ramp must have a uniform slope.

What is the ADA slope exception?
    Ramp runs shall have a running slope not steeper than 1:12. EXCEPTION: In existing sites, buildings, and facilities, ramps shall be permitted to have running slopes steeper than 1:12 complying with Table 405.2 where such slopes are necessary due to space limitations.

Anyone feel like going out there with a tape measure?

I'm guessing the saggy part that looks like the George Bush Turnpike down in Dallas has too much undulation for the ADA uniform slope requirement shown in paragraph 2 above. And that is why it is temporarily jacked up?

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I'm guessing the saggy part that looks like the George Bush Turnpike down in Dallas has too much undulation for the ADA uniform slope requirement shown in paragraph 2 above. And that is why it is temporarily jacked up?
    I don't think the issue has anything to do with ADA issues. The area that is braced up is the span over the entrance to CDR Electronics. I think it is more of an issue of a "too wide" span without sufficient support pillars. The rest of the ramp has pillars every 10 feet or so....this section has about 20 feet without a pillar. But that is my opinion.

I rode this the other day on my bike, and while I still wish the south side was a long ramp over the residential street, the zig-zag was not as hard to navigate as I expected.

7. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by yukong View Post
    I don't think the issue has anything to do with ADA issues. The area that is braced up is the span over the entrance to CDR Electronics. I think it is more of an issue of a "too wide" span without sufficient support pillars. The rest of the ramp has pillars every 10 feet or so....this section has about 20 feet without a pillar. But that is my opinion.
    I can't find it now but there was a story on KFOR.com that said the issue had to do with ADA compliance and that the bridge would remain open through the correction.

https://kfor.com/news/local/long-awa...-construction/

Per my other post: The ADA also requires slopes to be consistent from end to end; a ramp must have a uniform slope.

Visually it seemed like the long ramp had a slope, then leveled out then sloped again. Just a guess though. I haven't been on it.

10. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post

Per my other post: The ADA also requires slopes to be consistent from end to end; a ramp must have a uniform slope.

Visually it seemed like the long ramp had a slope, then leveled out then sloped again. Just a guess though. I haven't been on it.
    That's the story I couldn't find.

This project just keeps getting worse and worse the longer it goes on. I am all for better cyclist and pedestrian infrastructure in OKC. Personally, I feel like this bridge is pissing in the wind in its efforts to benefit cyclists and pedestrians since its inception. The fact they paid someone to draw up the plans, somebody approved it, it was built, and then it wasn't ADA compliant drives me up the freaking wall. Who needs to get a stern talking to about not wasting tax payer money? This is just an absolutely silly and stupid problem to have for a project in a city of this size. I would expect something like this to happen in bum **** Okemah.

in that case would it not be 2 separate ramps ... with a landing inbetween ..

thus fine via ADA ?? ?

You have to read between the lines. They wouldn't have added shoring if it was just an ADA issue. What really happened is someone complained about the sloping. The city investigated and it was determined that the ramp was sagging. Not being ADA compliant sounds better than structural failure in a press release.

Edit: Structural failure is probably a strong word. Its kind of like what happen with those turnpike bridges on the west side of town that OTA eventually fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    You have to read between the lines. They wouldn't have added shoring if it was just an ADA issue. What really happened is someone complained about the sloping. The city investigated and it was determined that the ramp was sagging. Not being ADA compliant sounds better than structural failure in a press release.

I believe you are spot on. If it was just an issue of the slope and ADA, they would not have closed the entrance to CDR and then installed bracing over the whole span. It certainly appears that there is a structural issue with that span. A sag, or cracking. They didn't close the ramp, which also says to me it isn't and ADA issue of too much slope. It that were the case, I would think the prudent thing would have been to close it to prevent an individual in a wheel chair from getting hurt.

15. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

The last two posts make sense. I wonder if it can be as easy as adding another support structure under where the span was too long. I know in a building you can jack up a sagging beam, add pier and support under the beam and be good. I don't know about a concrete structure like the bridge ramp.

I would like to hear from someone that tried to go up that north ramp in a non motorized wheel chair what it was like. I'm surprised CDR Electronics isn't complaining more about loosing their store's visibility. They mention it in the KFOR article but seem to think it won't effect their business that much. Even the blocking one entrance to their parking lot now with the supports. They put up with a lot with the long construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    The last two posts make sense. I wonder if it can be as easy as adding another support structure under where the span was too long. I know in a building you can jack up a sagging beam, add pier and support under the beam and be good. I don't know about a concrete structure like the bridge ramp.
    It would be in the middle of the CDR entrance. However, you could make the argument its an unnecessary curb cut. What they will most likely do is completely redo that section with more rebar the second time around.

18. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    It would be in the middle of the CDR entrance. However, you could make the argument its an unnecessary curb cut. What they will most likely do is completely redo that section with more rebar the second time around.
    While I'm not a civil engineer I don't think replacing the deck with more rebar is going to be sufficient. I think it has to have a pier added or dome sort of truss or cantilever.

Thread Information