Widgets Magazine

Thread: DEQ Parking Garage

Midtown DEQ Parking Garage

8 level parking garage planned for Midtown

The Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) is planning to construct a large new parking structure on the southwest corner of NW 7th and Robinson.

Plans submitted by GSB Architects show pre-cast concrete skinned in vertical aluminum tubing, glass-enclosed stairwells and a total of 431 spaces.

OKCTalk has learned the existing garage to the west of the building is in poor structural condition that would require expensive repairs.

The plan is to build new on the surface lot to the north of their building, then demo the existing garage and convert the area to surface parking for fleet vehicles and a green space for employees.

DEQ is a state agency that employs about 400 at its 707 N. Robinson offices who oversee air quality, water quality, land protection, and other environmental programs.

The 10-story building was constructed in 1960 by Southwestern Bell and DEQ purchased it in 1998. The existing 6-story garage was built in 1957.

The new streetcar runs directly past the building and proposed garage.

Default Re: DEQ Parking Garage

Looks better than the current garage and It’d definitely get the job done..... but it’s still boring. Just like the DEQ building itself. Could they add some ground retail?

DEQ needs to freshen up the exterior of their building. Very sixties Brutalism.

Quote Originally Posted by SagerMichael View Post
    Looks better than the current garage and It’d definitely get the job done..... but it’s still boring. Just like the DEQ building itself. Could they add some ground retail?
    If they added some ground level interaction (retail, restaurant, offices, Etc.), and give the DEQ building an exterior facelift, this would be perfect. I guess it’s better than nothing, but it leaves a lot to be desired with a streetcar stop nearby and the opportunity to continue building the urban fabric between downtown and midtown.

This is a state agency. Surprised their getting any kind of new parking garage.

So none of you preservationists going to say anything (garage or not). Built in 1957? That's criteria for being historic. Complaining about tearing down historic structures get awful quiet when there's no vested interest.

The current garage may be the oldest remaining parking garage in OKC. I cannot think of one that is older.

I figured it being a state agency might have something to do with that. Thanks. It’d still be nice to see the building get a facelift

Quote Originally Posted by Merman View Post
    DEQ needs to freshen up the exterior of their building. Very sixties Brutalism.
    Take your feelings about the midcentury look of this building, translate it to people in the 60's and you'll easily see how no one thought twice about destroying all the Victorian and Art Deco architecture we used to have.

Alright! Transit oriented development on the streetcar route! Too bad it's oriented around a different form of transit than the streetcar I understand that the old parking garage is in shambles and employees need to park but that doesn't negate the fact that this is terrible land use. I wish the department of environmental quality would have thought a bit more about the impact such a project and the types of transport and land use such a project implies has on environmental quality.

People are actually getting mad because we are tearing down a 60 year old parking garage? ITS A FREAKING PARKING GARAGE! LOL

I will say the new design is really industrial and seems just heavy. Id love to see a green parking garage in okc though.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    People are actually getting mad because we are tearing down a 60 year old parking garage? ITS A FREAKING PARKING GARAGE! LOL

no?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner.Arch View Post
    Id love to see a parking garage with greenery in okc.
    Me too. Would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    No, one person was just trying to pick a fight with preservationists.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Me too. Would be awesome.
    Especially for the department of environmental quality. A bright, airy garage with vegetation would be awesome.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Especially for the department of environmental quality. A bright, airy garage with vegetation would be awesome.

My thoughts exactly, catch - ESPECIALLY for the DEQ.

Blog Entries

I don't mind the destruction of the current garage but I mind that we're losing the art. Not that I'm fond of that particular art, but the new garage, if not having ground level retail (which I get), should at least have ground level interaction, in the form of art, since we currently have art.

I have seen DEQ employees parking in the lot on the east side of the street just north of the Firefighters Union Hall. I wonder if that piece of land will now be open to development after the new parking structure is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by yukong View Post
    The current garage may be the oldest remaining parking garage in OKC. I cannot think of one that is older.
    The current garage used to have a pull through Kerr/McGee station there just inside the sidewalk. Was about the only place you could fuel up downtown.

Blog Entries

Fair to say this project is dead with the DEQ move to "State Tower"

Yes, it was dead even before that.

The good news is this property will now likely be sold to a developer.

Thread Information