Widgets Magazine

Thread: Downtown OKC game studio new game launch

1. Default Downtown OKC game studio new game launch

I'm the founder of GoldFire Studios, which is an indie game studio located in downtown (we've got an office in BancFirst Tower, you can see some photos in this blog post). We've been working on a new game for the last 2 years and just announced a release date of March 12! We'd love to hear any feedback from fellow Okies! You can get more info on the game and add it to your wishlist on our Steam page:

Exocraft on Steam

Default Re: Downtown OKC game studio new game launch

as someone who often spends way too much money on Steam games... i have to say that the sales trailer there would not get me to buy it... knowing nothing about the game... the trailer to me doesn't show much excitement and just seems kinda dull, slow, and boring.. it might just be the music, or the screens selected to show, or a combo of both... i like the art style and seems like a game i would typically play casually... but it just doesn't really make me want to buy it.

I hope you guys do great. and knowing you are an OKC local group.. i will add to my wishlist and probably eventually buy it... just wanted to provide some feedback based upon my quick thoughts having seen the video once (which is what most people on steam will do before making up their minds.)

UPDATE: upon further watches... i defiantly think it's the music... when i watch it without any sound. it seems to be a much more exciting video.

This is awesome! No idea there was a company that did this sort of thing here in OKC. I'm a graphic designer and wish I could do this kind of stuff. Seems like it would be really fun!

4. Default Re: Downtown OKC game studio new game launch

Thanks for the feedback on the trailer! Do you maybe think the music is too repetitive or you just don't like the music style overall? We found the trailer music tricky because all of the music in-game is dynamic based on what is happening, so we don't really have a full musical track but rather different layered sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldFire View Post
    Thanks for the feedback on the trailer! Do you maybe think the music is too repetitive or you just don't like the music style overall? We found the trailer music tricky because all of the music in-game is dynamic based on what is happening, so we don't really have a full musical track but rather different layered sounds.
    too repetitive. like i think it starts out fine... but then as the action in the trailer picks up... i think i was expecting the music to some as well...

6. Default Re: Downtown OKC game studio new game launch

As a really long time steam user, that's awesome! Just curious though, do you have to pay Steam a cut of the action to be able to sell there? If so, is it a one time fee or a slice of each sale?

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    As a really long time steam user, that's awesome! Just curious though, do you have to pay Steam a cut of the action to be able to sell there? If so, is it a one time fee or a slice of each sale?
    Steam usually takes around a 30% cut of each sale.

that's pretty cool! what are you guys using for the engine? unity?

9. Default Re: Downtown OKC game studio new game launch

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    that's pretty cool! what are you guys using for the engine? unity?
    Thanks! We are using Phaser, which is a JavaScript framework for games. It probably would have been easier to use something like Unity, but we like to get down into the code on a low-level for optimizing (the game is only a few MB as a result).

10. Default Re: Downtown OKC game studio new game launch

Just thought I'd post that we've updated the trailer with visuals from our latest "biomes" update, which will likely be the last big update to the game before the full launch in two weeks!

can't wait to give it a try and help out a local developer.

Thread Information