Widgets Magazine
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

1. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

The Hefner lake bus stop off Meridian where they installed the new stop signs already has massive potholes caused by the buses using the turnarounds. Those roads are so weak and they are constantly patching them. Let’s just redo them already.

Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    The Hefner lake bus stop off Meridian where they installed the new stop signs already has massive potholes caused by the buses using the turnarounds. Those roads are so weak and they are constantly patching them. Let’s just redo them already.
    Probably will need to use concrete.

They did just redo a lot of right lanes on Classen, so that might be in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

MAPS for BRT Alternatives - Bus Rapid Transit growth. If you would like to take the BRT survey, please clink on the link below: V V V V

https://engagekh.com/maps-4-brt-alte...ce=govdelivery

It blows my mind that we have no bus connection to the airport and that's not even under consideration here. How do we not at least have a bus/shuttle between the airport and downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by okcrun View Post
    It blows my mind that we have no bus connection to the airport and that's not even under consideration here. How do we not at least have a bus/shuttle between the airport and downtown?
    https://www.rtaok.org/wp-content/upl...oardUpdate.pdf It’s okay

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicthunder View Post
    "equity" considerations to plan transit .. what a joke

7. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    "equity" considerations to plan transit .. what a joke
    Providing public transit to lower economic groups is kinda one of the primary purposes of public transit. Its not gender equity or preferred pronouns.

Got to ride the new BRT today. It's certainly a bus. The seating is extremely brown and the ride is smoother/quitter than the diesel buses. Going from the Transit Center to Penn/Expressway took only a couple minutes slower than driving, so the priority signaling is working I guess? I can't explicitly tell yes or no, maybe during peak traffic.

If the city doesn't gut the frequency I could find myself using BRT often, at least for the weekly grocery run.

9. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

was the bus full of passengers? did you ride it round trip?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by macchiato View Post
    Got to ride the new BRT today. It's certainly a bus. The seating is extremely brown and the ride is smoother/quitter than the diesel buses. Going from the Transit Center to Penn/Expressway took only a couple minutes slower than driving, so the priority signaling is working I guess? I can't explicitly tell yes or no, maybe during peak traffic.

If the city doesn't gut the frequency I could find myself using BRT often, at least for the weekly grocery run.
    Thanks for the review.

I'm going to ride it sometime this week just to get a feel for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    was the bus full of passengers? did you ride it round trip?
    Used it a couple times so far, there's definitely less people per bus than your average route - but unsure what to make of that since there's so many of these buses out during their 12min interval windows. For comparison sake, the BRT certainly feels more crowded than the streetcar outside of events and conferences. I'm no route planner but there's definitely some room for improvements. The outbound Penn/Expressway stop has you perched with no easy way to go to the nearby mall, the sidewalk just leads to the intersection, no ramp or stairway down the pretty steep drop-off onto the road next to Mall's parking lot, no pedestrian right of way in sight either.

Having a stop right next to a grocery is really nice, I was planning up a whole trip this week until I realize I was out of something. Just went spur of the moment, got what i needed and got back in under half an hour. Despite living downtown and without a car I rarely use the bus, but BRT feels like that will change, as long as the bus frequency remains where it currently is. The 12 minute interval frequency also stops after 7pm, which feels a smidge too soon, and intervals slow down to half an hour between buses. Apparently regular night buses are operating at hour long intervals though, so any change is good change, just not what I'd call "rapid".

Here’s a hint, get rid of the ridiculous jig jigged route around Baptist and keep it straight along NWE. Bonus points if they can build a pedestrian bridge for NW bound riders. That would also allow eliminating at grade crosswalks entirely along NWE for better traffic flow.

13. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

I so do not understand why OKC has these jig jigging at the end of routes, seems so small time. Why not just run a route to Baptist or better yet, let pax cross the street. It can be done without the bus operating like a school bus. Sad to see that also included in the brt. Shocked they didn’t have it turn to ocu or the plaza before continuing down classen. Should have an extension all the way to Surry Hills “PnR” but hopefully that is in the cards.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Working at Baptist, I would love the PnR from surrey hills!

Coming home last night, getting off of I-44 @ NWX/Classen (Belle Isle) and seeing the stops on either side of the street lit up at midnight was one of the more bizarre experiences as a lifelong OKC citizen who has also traveled. It made OKC feel like it has doubled in size from even 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by macchiato View Post

The rapid transit buses have a different look than the normal buses. Are the lights inside the bus blue or are the windows blue?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    The rapid transit buses have a different look than the normal buses. Are the lights inside the bus blue or are the windows blue?
    Blue lighting

Also has overhead USB ports above the seats

Kind of surprised the downtown route had a stop near Broadway and main

From there it goes to the main transit terminal

So if I need to get to the more downtown than the bus terminal it's actually a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    They should just turn every major intersection on NW Exwy into large roundabouts. Same for 39th, Classen, Shields to 44th, and Lincoln through the OU Medical District.
    my god I'd love this, the intersections are why I literally do absolutely everything I can to avoid using it completely.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    They should just turn every major intersection on NW Exwy into large roundabouts. Same for 39th, Classen, Shields to 44th, and Lincoln through the OU Medical District.
    Yes, especially Lincoln by OU Health!

Quote Originally Posted by EBAH View Post
    my god I'd love this, the intersections are why I literally do absolutely everything I can to avoid using it completely.
    Classen at NW Expressway used to be a traffic circle... not sure when it was torn out, but the dream isn't too far from reality.

I've been taking advantage of the free fares on BRT this month and let me say...I LOVE IT. I've treid off and on to take the bus to work downtown from the near northside (I live off Classen) and it is always a pain. Irregular bus schedules and then it drops me at the Transit Center where I still have to walk 5 blocks to my office. Easier just to drive.

But the predictable and frequent BRT buses make it so nice. I roll over to the BRT stop whenever I feel like it and at most I have to wait 15 minutes, usually less. I could make this a lot more predictible for myself if I used the app to track the buses but I am too lazy for that. The buses are clean and comfy and they make two additional downtown stops past the Transit Center, one of which is only a block from my office.

I am a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    I've been taking advantage of the free fares on BRT this month and let me say...I LOVE IT. I've treid off and on to take the bus to work downtown from the near northside (I live off Classen) and it is always a pain. Irregular bus schedules and then it drops me at the Transit Center where I still have to walk 5 blocks to my office. Easier just to drive.

But the predictable and frequent BRT buses make it so nice. I roll over to the BRT stop whenever I feel like it and at most I have to wait 15 minutes, usually less. I could make this a lot more predictible for myself if I used the app to track the buses but I am too lazy for that. The buses are clean and comfy and they make two additional downtown stops past the Transit Center, one of which is only a block from my office.

I am a fan.
    God I'm so jealous.

If the Paycom office were downtown, I would probably sell a car (or at least drastically reduce my cost of owning 2 for my 2 adult+1 child family)

Took it for the first time this afternoon from 36th to Midtown - I liked it!

Any ridership numbers? Anytime I see a bus there only a few passengers, even at rush hour.

Busses aren't meant to be full every time they're on the road. Is your car full every time you drive?

Thread Information