Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Most of what that “detour” is bypassing is an extremely wide highway interchange. Continuing on NWX doesn’t increase ridership potential — which is the main purpose of transit. It would certainly look cleaner with a straight line but I don’t see the hospital detour as being that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Most of what that “detour” is bypassing is an extremely wide highway interchange. Continuing on NWX doesn’t increase ridership potential — which is the main purpose of transit. It would certainly look cleaner with a straight line but I don’t see the hospital detour as being that big of a deal.
    It certainly could increase ridership if the overall line has a shorter end to end travel time. Speed is important.

3. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    So you are saying OKC will implement signal priority even though they couldn't implement that system wide for the streetcar? Why so optimistic?
    I hear you, but it wont even be close to "RAPID" if they don't have signal priority. This implementation in OKC is the same as a normal bus running in the same lanes as normal traffic. A typical Rapid Transit would have dedicated Bus lanes (at least part/most of the way) in addition to dedicated stops/shelters, and 60' buses (or double decker) to have flexible capacity.

OKC wont have none of that, so Signal priority is the ONLY thing that would make it rapid.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

4. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The first deviation is to pick up the dense complex of medical buildings between Baptist and Deaconess, which employ several hundred people, including many who could make good use of public transport.

The second is to route closer to several apartment complexes near 63rd & Meridian and skip a part of NW Expressway that fronts the golf course.

It's a very smart design IMO.
    Is that rapid transit though? OKC does this already - they already have buses deviate off the arterials to this complex or that venue vs. having grid bus network would would thereby negate the even NEED for a rapid bus idea since one could transfer reliably. Even the 'study' that EMBARK sent out had it's GRID idea still with jogging to here and there off the main streets. That's local bus not rapid transit.

Rapid transit is as straight as possible, in dedicated lanes and stops, with higher capacity (than local bus). The only reason why you'd jog off the main road is for transfer connections, Park N Ride, and/or transit center exchange. You'd build infrastructure (pedestrian bridge) to connect to nearby venues/attractions or have shuttles move people to/from the closest stop.

"RAPID" wont have any of that - other than dedicated stops and HOPEFULLY/NECESSARY signal priority. Otherwise, it's just another local bus route dressed up for part of NW OKC.

End to end on this line is 12 to 15 minutes as configured.

Why are people even arguing this silly point? This has all been decided after a lot of study and ample opportunity for public input.

If you lived in the area, you'd easily understand why this makes perfect logical sense.

End to end on this line is 12 to 15 minutes as configured....
    Honest question since I don't know all the behind-the-scenes for things like this, but I assume they've driven this and simulated pick-ups and drop-offs and stops, and they've gotten 12-15 minutes end-to-end IRL?

If you lived in the area, you'd easily understand why this makes perfect logical sense.
    I live one fourth of a mile from the integris stop

End to end on this line is 12 to 15 minutes as configured.

Why are people even arguing this silly point? This has all been decided after a lot of study and ample opportunity for public input.

google maps says it will take 30 min end to end and that is without the stops ..

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Honest question since I don't know all the behind-the-scenes for things like this, but I assume they've driven this and simulated pick-ups and drop-offs and stops, and they've gotten 12-15 minutes end-to-end IRL?
    google maps says it is 30 min with out stops ..

Per the design report (pg 48), northbound route will take 38 minutes end-to-end, and southbound will take 35.5 minutes. They will achieve an average 12 minute headway (wait time between vehicles) by using multiple busses. "The base running time estimate was developed from a field test. "

https://embarkok.com/assets/files/pl...port_Final.pdf

Blog Entries

https://freepressokc.com/okc-city-co...using-project/

The Bus Rapid Transit system coming soon to Oklahoma City was again the focus of conversation and one vote at Tuesday’s Council meeting.

Free Press has reported previously on the expansive and high-frequency new bus line coming to Oklahoma City soon.

On Tuesday, the Council received a report updating them on planning and design, and specifically focused on the platforms for BRT stops along the route.

The BRT has a price tag of nearly $29 million. Of that money, approximately $17 million will be dedicated to the construction of new platforms that allow embarking at the platform level, making ADA access much easier.

Additionally, street enhancements to accommodate platforms will be made over the construction phase. Intersections like the one at NW 23rd and Classen will need more infrastructure to make the intersection more compliant and friendly to ADA requirements and the users who need those protections.

The Council unanimously approved a call for bids for the station stops along the route from downtown to Northwest Expressway at Meridian.

These bids do not include the manufacturing of buses, which is almost finished. Buses are expected to be delivered in the next two months. The bids also don’t cover the building of two “Park & Ride” lots along the BRT route.

Free Press will continue to report on the BRT as it develops.

12. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

might want to spend some extra cash on sidewalks to allow somewhere for those ADA passengers to go to/from further away from the bus stops. ...

While they're at it, how about some lighting and nearby landscaping.

Also, I'm curious to know where the 2nd park n ride will be, i know one will be at Lake Hefner (way to go there - NOT). The terminus/park n ride should be further up NW Expressway like say Rockwell or Council area - truly making this a real connection to NW OKC without ruining the otherwise "urban" lake.

And we truly should do this as Commuter Bus with 'BRT elements' all the way to NWX and Council (or a little further), instead of trying to call an otherwise glorified 'local' bus with platforms - BRT. Would really service the largest population area of OKC and even give Piedmont/N Yukon a transit connection.

Blog Entries

We got a NW BRT update this week at subcommittee. Probably most of this is already reported somewhere, but from my notes...

- First bus (of 9) delivery will be in May 22 (there will be some kind of public unveiling)
    - Construction bids will be coming in during April 22
    - Construction set to start in June 22
    - Construction finishes Summer 23
    - Equipment, system, and route testing commences
    - Fare service begins Fall 23

In FY23, 27 new positions (mostly drivers, but others too).
    In FY24, Dedicated TSP support personnel

Definitely no dedicated lanes, but possibly "HOV"/turn lanes in spots, which the bus would use. Otherwise just TSP and pull-off/queue jump lanes. I expressed concern about this considering the streetcar TSP doesn't always seem to perform well. It was explained that some of the streetcar TSPs were down (like 6-7 of them) a big chunk of time and that they didn't have folks dedicated to that specialty, but they will have dedicated TSP support folks on staff with the BRT.

While NE and S BRT in MAPS4 don't go online until 2028/29, source selection for planning/engineering provider happening in the next couple weeks so the alternatives analysis process can get going.

HangryHippo Guest

Tsp?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Tsp?
    traffic signal priority

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    traffic signal priority
    So they're going to staff that for BRT but not streetcar? Wouldn't they be cross-trained and able to support both systems?

We got a NW BRT update

Definitely no dedicated lanes,
    so not BRT really at all

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    so not BRT really at all
    Nope. And as much as I wish we were getting a genuine BRT, I can't blame them for not wanting to dedicate lanes to buses that are only going to run at 10-15 minute frequencies. If we had a system like Bogota with 2-3 min frequencies, dedicated lanes would absolutely make more sense. I generally don't have much sympathy for those who complain about the need for more space for cars, but can you imagine the outcry if 2 lanes of Classen and NW Expwy had to sit empty with a bus only using it 4 times an hour? It's also surprising to hear there aren't (weren't?) dedicated TSP folks for the streetcar. Sigh. That said I'm excited to see the platforms as I'll be just a few blocks from one. I'm skeptical any sort of "park-and-ride" system for a bus is going to have much if any success, but I'd love to be proven wrong..

19. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Bus Route Transit

Blog Entries

I presume they would share TSP folks with streetcar, but that wasn't specified.

Also, the vendor assures us this is still BRT. They're doing like 50 BRTs around the country and showed the primary 3 or 4 types, of which ours was one type (relying on tech and queue jumps).

Just getting buses running up Classen and NW Expressway will be a big improvement. It’s absurd that a city of this size doesn’t currently have a single bus route along its busiest non-freeway thoroughfare.

Blog Entries

https://twitter.com/RapidBrt/status/1526637934203572224

Join us for an @EMBARKok Transit Vehicle Showcase and new RAPID Bus Rapid Transit Vehicle Reveal!

Event is at the OKC Convention Center in Exhibit Hall D on Thurs., May 26 from 1pm - 3pm.

Visit http://embarkok.com/brt for more #RAPIDbrt project details

I live in Yukon, but just took a job in Del City. The closest bus stop to my office is about a mile walk and I would have to drive to the Reno Mini Hub and park my vehicle in a random parking lot, not a true "park-n-ride" lot. I would be game for a Park-n-Ride lot anywhere close to Yukon. And then if I could get a faster bus into the central transfer station it might be enough to get me to start taking the bus.

Blog Entries

Not that it's something you'd want to do everyday, but depending on where you live in Yukon and where in Del City you're going, it might be pretty doable by bike. There's that newish trail in Yukon that connects to Overholser, so you could take that to the west trail to the river trail. By the end of the the year the river trail will connect to 4th street, which you could take to Del City.

Not that it's something you'd want to do everyday, but depending on where you live in Yukon and where in Del City you're going, it might be pretty doable by bike. There's that newish trail in Yukon that connects to Overholser, so you could take that to the west trail to the river trail. By the end of the the year the river trail will connect to 4th street, which you could take to Del City.
    I have looked at this route, if I were more comfortable riding long distance it may be an option. Though I don't have a shower at the office to hose down upon arrival. Haha.

Thread Information