Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Parlor OKC

Default Re: Parlor OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I look forward to trying it this monday. Sadly the hotdog place I used to go to (doggy style in edmond) went back to food truck.
    I think they reopened under new management. Check it out. I will tell you I really enjoyed callahans and also I’ve heard Hot Rod which is a food truck is fantastic!!

https://m.facebook.com/Hotroddogs-1066396966869507/

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    This guy is legit. My wife and I have been following his cart around OKC for a few years. Real deal Chicago dogs. I will confess I wasn't a huge fan of his Chicago beef sandwich but it could have been an off day for him.

Really no need to get anything besides the dogs though.

3. Default Re: Parlor OKC

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    We were just wondering if Cal's was still open, but since they're further away from us than Parlor, we'll go here and try one of their Italian Beefs instead.
    Cal's is still open.... Just had an Italian Beef with a sausage added a couple of weeks ago.

4. Default Re: Parlor OKC

must say I LOVE!!! Parlor's hours. Need more core area restaurants and bars to adopt as such.

Definitely nice to hear Callahan’s Chicago Grille much continued success!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Cal's is still open.... Just had an Italian Beef with a sausage added a couple of weeks ago.
    GTK, thanks, might end up back there depending on the quality of Callahan's Italian Beef.

I'm a big fan of Portillo's Italian Beef. I wonder how this will compare. How does Cal's compare?

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I'm a big fan of Portillo's Italian Beef. I wonder how this will compare. How does Cal's compare?
    It doesn't really compare to Portillo's or Al's, and neither does Cal's. I have tried both. Callahan's Chicago Dogs are great though, as are his other hot dogs. Again, it's possible I caught his beef sandwich on a bad day.

Cal's is sub-Portillo's, but we believe Portillo's is sub-Buona Beef. We don't have many choices here for Italian Beef, though...

Cal's is sub-Portillo's, but we believe Portillo's is sub-Buona Beef. We don't have many choices here for Italian Beef, though...
    Yeah Winco has Italian Beef and I make my own. Are there other supermarkets that carry it?

Yeah Winco has Italian Beef and I make my own. Are there other supermarkets that carry it?
    how does it compare with portillo's??

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    how does it compare with portillo's??
    I put it in the crock pot with some beef au jus and some pepperoncini and turns out really good. Take my buns and dip them into the juice. Yummy. I like mine dipped.

I put it in the crock pot with some beef au jus and some pepperoncini and turns out really good. Take my buns and dip them into the juice. Yummy. I like mine dipped.
    thank you i will have to try it ..

Tried the Italian beef tonight overall it was pretty good. I got mine dipped. They do come with peppers so my friend got one without and I got one with just so we could compare. They were not Italian peppers or peppercinis as I like it. They were jalapeno peppers and celery. recommend getting them with out peppers cuz it just ended up tasting like jalapeno peppers. A bit on the pricey side also but at this point in time what isn't.. Two sandwiches two order of basic crinkle cut fries and two drinks came to $38 before tip if you want to leave one. It was a big sandwich though there was probably close to a pound of beef on there.

Tried the Italian beef tonight overall it was pretty good. I got mine dipped. They do come with peppers so my friend got one without and I got one with just so we could compare. They were not Italian peppers or peppercinis as I like it. They were jalapeno peppers and celery. recommend getting them with out peppers cuz it just ended up tasting like jalapeno peppers. A bit on the pricey side also but at this point in time what isn't.. Two sandwiches two order of basic crinkle cut fries and two drinks came to $38 before tip if you want to leave one. It was a big sandwich though there was probably close to a pound of beef on there.
    that is pretty crazy pricing .. portillo's for example 6.99 for the normal Italian beef 8.99 for 50% bigger "big beef sandwich" large fries 3.19 and drinks 2.50

Thanks for the review, and ugh - jalapenos, really? He'd get thrown out of Chicago for that.

Thanks for the review, and ugh - jalapenos, really? He'd get thrown out of Chicago for that.
    I'm not sure if maybe he unexpectedly ran out of product - but I can say that when I checked out Callahan's new location in Parlor and asked for hot peppers on my beef, I got proper hot Chicago-style giardiniera. I suspect that's what you received as well, @kukblue1, since pickled serrano peppers look pretty similar to pickled jalapenos, and celery is also typically a component of that delicious condiment. My hubby, who's from the NW burbs of Chicago, says Pepperoncini peppers are an uncommon topping for a Chicago-style italian beef, though there are many homestyle crock pot recipes online that include them as an ingredient to help flavor the gravy. Generally, though, you're either getting "sweet peppers" - oven roasted bell peppers - or "hot peppers" - Chicago-style giardiniera.

Also, if you like Chicago-style giardiniera, some Target stores in the metro carry it under the Mezzetta brand. Make sure the jar says "Chicago-style" on it and not "Italian Mix" - they're very different products. We get ours from the Target in Moore.

I'm gonna be honest, the beefs from Callahan's and Cal's both taste pretty similar to me... Definitely good and tasty, and VERY happy to have them both here as options when the craving strikes, but I suspect (like many restaurants serving italian beef sandwiches outside of the Windy City) that they're both serving pre-sliced beef from a foodservice supplier... Haven't seen a slicer in either restaurant. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't compare to a Chicago standard like Al's or Tony's that roasts and slices their own beef.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I'm not sure if maybe he unexpectedly ran out of product - but I can say that when I checked out Callahan's new location in Parlor and asked for hot peppers on my beef, I got proper hot Chicago-style giardiniera. I suspect that's what you received as well, @kukblue1, since pickled serrano peppers look pretty similar to pickled jalapenos, and celery is also typically a component of that delicious condiment. My hubby, who's from the NW burbs of Chicago, says Pepperoncini peppers are an uncommon topping for a Chicago-style italian beef, though there are many homestyle crock pot recipes online that include them as an ingredient to help flavor the gravy. Generally, though, you're either getting "sweet peppers" - oven roasted bell peppers - or "hot peppers" - Chicago-style giardiniera.

Also, if you like Chicago-style giardiniera, some Target stores in the metro carry it under the Mezzetta brand. Make sure the jar says "Chicago-style" on it and not "Italian Mix" - they're very different products. We get ours from the Target in Moore.

I'm gonna be honest, the beefs from Callahan's and Cal's both taste pretty similar to me... Definitely good and tasty, and VERY happy to have them both here as options when the craving strikes, but I suspect (like many restaurants serving italian beef sandwiches outside of the Windy City) that they're both serving pre-sliced beef from a foodservice supplier... Haven't seen a slicer in either restaurant. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't compare to a Chicago standard like Al's or Tony's that roasts and slices their own beef.
    Good to know, thanks. Not sure which would be worse if I ordered hot peppers - if they told me they were out or if I ended up getting something else besides giardiniera.

Probably right I'm used to the Pepperoncini taste now that I always make it in the crock pot that way, and it's been over 10 years since I been back to Chicago. Grew up in Indiana. I guess the biggest turn off was the amount of peppers on there. Killed the beef flavor felt like I was just eating peppers. They did put a lot of them on there.

LIke I said, don't expect much from their beef sandwich. Get their Chicago dogs.

Had a great, authentic Chicago Dog. The crinkle cut fries were not good - tasted like something from a school lunch. Friendly and fast service, will go back when craving a dog.

The porkchop sandwich will come with bones. Throwing that out there.

A sandwich with bones? That’s interesting.

23. Default Re: Parlor OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    A sandwich with bones? That’s interesting.
    Go give the chicken and dumplings at Florence's a try some time.... They're really good but definitely a choking hazard because they serve them with the bones.

It's not something you see very often anymore but I used to see rib sandwiches at BBQ restaurants occasionally and they were usually 3-4 ribs between 2 slices of white bread and some pickles.

I wasn’t crazy about the Mezzetta giardineria. I just order Marconi’s from Amazon.

All of Callahan’s stuff is Vienna Beef, including the condiments. They make great Chicago dogs, but Vienna Beef’s Italian beef is just alright.

Quote Originally Posted by MartzMimic View Post
    I wasn’t crazy about the Mezzetta giardineria. I just order Marconi’s from Amazon.

All of Callahan’s stuff is Vienna Beef, including the condiments. They make great Chicago dogs, but Vienna Beef’s Italian beef is just alright.
    World Market carries Marconi giardineria and sports peppers.

Thread Information