Widgets Magazine

Thread: Precure Garden Center NW63rd/Meridian

Northwest OKC Precure Garden Center NW63rd/Meridian

I don't know when the sign was changed, but I didn't notice it until November 2nd.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5541.JPG 
Views:	216 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	14990

Default Re: Precure Garden Center NW63rd/Meridian

Ugh. Grew up down the street when it was Booten's for decades.

I'm afraid of what this will become.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Ugh. Grew up down the street when it was Booten's for decades.

I'm afraid of what this will become.
    I grew up in the immediate area too. Currently living just east of there. You must have gone to Rollingwood or Coronado Elementary and then Hefner. I don't remember Booten's at all. I can only guess what you fear it will become.

^

Went to Rollingwood/Hefner/PC.

Grew up right across from Rollingwood.

Booten's was there for quite a while. At least 20 years.

I went to Coronado/Hefner/PC. Seventh Grade at Hefner 66-67. During 9th Grade just before Thanksgiving in 68, a friend (Peter Orth) was killed somehow in an unfinished house in the Blue Stem edition where he lived. I still have those yearbooks from my years at Hefner.

Blog Entries

Grew up in Rollingwood. We would ride our bikes through their parking lot to Braums, and the (use to be) Circle K on the corner to play video games. Graduated PCHS in 89.

I went to high school with the daughter and all they had was the Reno location. I think that one was still open when I was out there over the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by billokc View Post
    I went to Coronado/Hefner/PC. Seventh Grade at Hefner 66-67. During 9th Grade just before Thanksgiving in 68, a friend (Peter Orth) was killed somehow in an unfinished house in the Blue Stem edition where he lived. I still have those yearbooks from my years at Hefner.
    As it happened, Peter's father Herb Orth was a co-worker at G-E and was one of my mentors about software development. Peter and his brother had been playing the traditional kids' Western game, and somehow Peter wound up getting hanged. They didn't come home for supper, and Herb was the one who found him. Very sad Thanksgiving that year!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    As it happened, Peter's father Herb Orth was a co-worker at G-E and was one of my mentors about software development. Peter and his brother had been playing the traditional kids' Western game, and somehow Peter wound up getting hanged. They didn't come home for supper, and Herb was the one who found him. Very sad Thanksgiving that year!
    I remember that horrible tragic event. Peter was a very good friend of mine, been to their house many times. I was already in bed, but I remember hearing about it on the ten pm news that night, my mom freaked out. I couldn't sleep any that night. School the next day was a disaster. So many other students had no idea what had happened the night before. I had two classes with Peter. No classwork got done that day. This was before there ever were grief counselors, and were just all young teens ages 12 to 14, maybe 15. Here it is now, 50 years later, and still don't know any more details other than what we've posted here. Tuesday November 26, 1968. That date also coincides with the release of the Beatles "White" album.

Darn... I'll be sad to see them go. Not surprised though, as it never seemed busy enough to support a store of that size when I had been in there. Loved having a garden store 3 blocks from the house though.

Thread Information