Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,209
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Data Recovery from Hard Drive

    Does anyone have a recommendation of a local data recovery type company to see if they can recover some photos from an old hard drive? Thanks for any thoughts.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Data Recovery from Hard Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    Does anyone have a recommendation of a local data recovery type company to see if they can recover some photos from an old hard drive? Thanks for any thoughts.
    What kind of drive?
    What happened to make you think you can't access the data? Specifically, is there something about the drive that you know it has failed or is there something wrong with the enclosure that it is in?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,209
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Data Recovery from Hard Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by okcjjr View Post
    What kind of drive?
    What happened to make you think you can't access the data? Specifically, is there something about the drive that you know it has failed or is there something wrong with the enclosure that it is in?
    It's from an old computer that was in a family storage unit. I was told by someone that "you get one shot" (which I have no idea about) so just wanted to be somewhat careful in not messing it up playing around with it on my own. It's a Seagate drive out of a Dell computer - my guess is 10 plus years old.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Data Recovery from Hard Drive

    I can assure you that you don't get 1 shot.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Data Recovery from Hard Drive

    If you don't know the drive to be bad, remove the drive from the old PC and just buy a cheap USB drive enclosure. Fire it up and see what happens.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,209
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Data Recovery from Hard Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    If you don't know the drive to be bad, remove the drive from the old PC and just buy a cheap USB drive enclosure. Fire it up and see what happens.
    OK....i'll check it out. Thanks.

  7. Default Re: Data Recovery from Hard Drive

    I've had externals crap out on me from time-to-time. One time I was able to do the "freezer" technique to get some data off the drive before it crapped out again.

    I don't know of anyone local that I trust. I've sent drives back to Seagate in the past (it's my Seagates that tend to die, not my WD's). But it was crazy expensive. The last one I sent them (for a client) was about $400 and I had to send them a new drive to put the data on.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Data Recovery from Hard Drive

    If you don't know the drive to be bad, remove the drive from the old PC and just buy a cheap USB drive enclosure. Fire it up and see what happens.

    I've done that with a couple of drives from old computers and had success.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Data Recovery from Hard Drive

    Is the old computer not booting up. Like others have said, may want to first try an external hdd enclosure. Data recovery is expense depending on how bad the HDD is.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,209
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Data Recovery from Hard Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Is the old computer not booting up. Like others have said, may want to first try an external hdd enclosure. Data recovery is expense depending on how bad the HDD is.
    No, will not boot and I have removed the drive. I appreciate the thoughts/suggestions. May try the hdd enclosure and see where that takes me.

  11. Default Re: Data Recovery from Hard Drive

    THere are services like Gigabyters, but be ready to pay. Even if there's platter damage, they can recover some data, if not all.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Data Recovery from Hard Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    No, will not boot and I have removed the drive. I appreciate the thoughts/suggestions. May try the hdd enclosure and see where that takes me.
    I don't recall them being particularly expensive, but if you don't want to go through and buy a part that you'll only use a handful of times in your life--if not just this one time--I have a hard drive reader on hand. Feel free to PM me and we could look into that.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,209
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Data Recovery from Hard Drive

    ^ Thanks much....had a friend who took it and is working on it - we shall see. Appreciate the insights!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Nice recovery
    By kelroy55 in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2014, 07:49 AM
  2. Recovery from the GOP wasteland
    By mkjeeves in forum Politics
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 08:13 AM
  3. Best Buy Pawns Hard Drive??
    By Keith in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2006, 02:46 PM
  4. Data Recovery
    By amethystgirl in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2006, 08:08 PM
  5. Creating Recovery Discs
    By Oki_Man5 in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-27-2006, 04:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO