Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving Halloween. Yay or Nay?

Default Moving Halloween. Yay or Nay?

I have been reading about this idea on various media for several weeks. Moving Halloween to the last Saturday of October. Now, I go and walk with my Grandsons on this Holiday. I would like to see this change happen. It would benefit the Children, and, the Adults.

Default Re: Moving Halloween. Yay or Nay?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giphy.gif 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	14982

I can see where it might benefit some people, but simply not enough to dedicate even the smallest amount of energy towards actually attempting. That energy would be much better spent addressing the nightmare we're facing this Sunday at 2am, with a much better (proven) benefit to everyone.

Most of the time Halloween is already celebrated on the weekend before whenever it falls in the middle of the week like this year. Most bars/clubs in OKC had their costume nights this past Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Most of the time Halloween is already celebrated on the weekend before whenever it falls in the middle of the week like this year. Most bars/clubs in OKC had their costume nights this past Saturday.
    he means for trick or treaters not for adults.
    and that is why I wouldn't support a move. The weekend before is when most adult celebrations are and I don't want to host a party and have children knocking on door for candy. then can come back Wed tonight is for the big kids.

It would never fly in Norman, Stillwater, or any other town has a D1 program. Halloween should be on the 31st, just like Independece Day on the 4th, Xmas on the 25th, etc.

I did not factor in the Alcohol importance. Back when my Kids were young enough to go T or T, on weekdays, I had to be up at 0330 the next day. The kids would be tired and cranky from trying to sleep off their sugar buzz. They were sneaky about eating candy when walking from house to house.

Since when did Holloween become a holiday anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    The word "Holiday" was only used once in this entire thread. It is however a mark on the calendar and a holiday while not an official National Holiday. but not sure what your point is

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    It would never fly in Norman, Stillwater, or any other town has a D1 program. Halloween should be on the 31st, just like Independece Day on the 4th, Xmas on the 25th, etc.
    Absolutely. Halloween is the 31st. Don't Edmond My Halloween.

10. Default Re: Moving Halloween. Yay or Nay?

Yeah, I vote to leave it as-is. I remember when I was a wee lad and my friend and I rang a door bell where there was a Halloween party raging complete with drinking and smoking of various things. Everyone was really nice and handed us a bunch of candy and some even put a dollar or two in my pillow case candy bag. It was great!

When I told my parents they were horrified.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    About 2,000-2,500 years ago. Then again the Mound of the Hostages is about 4,500-5,000 years old, so perhaps even longer. It's hard to tell when much of ancient history is verbal. Although to be fair, that's Samhain. When it got changed to Halloween could be up for debate, one might consider Pope Gregory the First's edict in 601 AD to be the crossing point, pun absolutely intended.

Well that is ridiculous. Not that this has a chance of happening, but the fact people just want to change a tradition to suit their own needs. Go have a look why Halloween falls on the 31st. There is a good reason behind it. It wasn't just random day picked from a hat.

Don't forget that Pluto is not a planet...

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Well that is ridiculous. Not that this has a chance of happening, but the fact people just want to change a tradition to suit their own needs. Go have a look why Halloween falls on the 31st. There is a good reason behind it. It wasn't just random day picked from a hat.
    Yeah I agree. Leave holidays on their normal day instead of trying to screw with everything.

Not that there is a prerequisite on the number of times a word is mentioned before it may be commented on, but it really was just an honest question. Growing up I never heard holloween refered to as a holiday, as as we know it here in the US. But over the last 20 or so years, around this time of year, I hear more and more people refer to it as a holiday.

Thanks for the bit of history Stile.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Damn straight!

Special Days, Holidays and Traditions. I have seen them moved to accommodate workers wanting a three day weekend. How many Posters have Grade School aged Children or Grandchildren? Do you go walk the walk with them? Trick or Treating can be moved. Usually is when it falls on a Sunday.

Ok, a stupid question that has nothing to do with the date. When I was a child, we never said "Trick or Treat". We knocked on the door and said "Halloween Handout". I don't know if that was my church or what but all of my friends said the same thing and we didn't attend the same church.
    C. T.

Nay

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Special Days, Holidays and Traditions. I have seen them moved to accommodate workers wanting a three day weekend. How many Posters have Grade School aged Children or Grandchildren? Do you go walk the walk with them? Trick or Treating can be moved. Usually is when it falls on a Sunday.
    So join your Millennial friends and sign the petition. We all know the official response is going to be "thanks, it ain't happening", but go for it.

https://kfor.com/2018/10/30/thousand...ay-in-october/

If there's one thing I can't abide, it's Revisionist Astronomy. (Well . . . that, Halloween, and not keeping Daylight Savings Time all year round.)

OMG, alert the media. There is a war on Halloween! The first attempt was trying to eliminate the proper name with substituting the phrase "fall festival" in its place./s/ Leave it alone helicopter parents.

Individual cities used to move the official trick or treat night around to make it more kid friendly. So while officially Halloween was always the 31st, the night to go out might vary. I remember being able to trick or treat in Edmond one night, and then go to Perry a night or two later and trick or treat again. If folks want something like that, it works on the city level. There's no need to make any large scale changes.

Never forgive, never forget. Curses upon Neil deGrasse Tyson!

I mean can we change Christmas and New years too? make them the last two weekends of Dec so they aren't middle of the week? Independence day could be the first weekend of July. Doing anything middle of the week is a hassle

Thread Information