Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Luxury Car Dealers in OKC

Default Luxury Car Dealers in OKC

I am a huge fan of anything cars, and would loooooove to see a Mclaren dealership here, but thats not going to happen. That's okay though, because Panamera sales are through the roof here and Bob Moore is trying to secure some luxury dealerships here. I want to major in business and become and entrepreneur here in OKC, and one of my dreams would be to open a Ferrari dealership here, we have a long ways to go before something like that could be feasible. I'm thinking it will likely be an Aston-Maserati-Bentley dealership. Either way it's exciting!

''Panamera accelerates sales for Porsche in Oklahoma City
    Oklahoma City's luxury car market is poised to kick into high gear, dealer says.
    By Jennifer Palmer Modified: September 19, 2013 at 5:00 pm • Published: September 18, 2013
    Is it time for the luxury car market in Oklahoma City to kick into high gear?

At Bob Moore Porsche Audi, it has taken years to convince luxury vehicle manufacturers there is demand for high-end cars in Oklahoma City, said Joe Schick, vice president of operations. The city's strong economy, newly relocated businesses and presence of the Oklahoma City Thunder basketball team have all helped sales, which in turn gives manufacturers the confidence to provide inventory.

A red Porsche Cayman S shines in the Bob Moore Porsche Audi showroom in Oklahoma City. The dealer is working on bringing more high-end luxury vehicle brands to the metro. Photo by Steve Gooch, The Oklahoman Steve Gooch
    “In the past, we've been inventory restrained. Now, we're getting the inventory to keep up with demand,” he said.

The dealer is trying to bring other premium luxury manufacturers to the market, but Schick wouldn't name names''

- Panamera accelerates sales for Porsche in Oklahoma City | News OK

Default Re: Luxury Car Dealers in OKC

I saw this article this morning and think its a great thing. Good luck man on owning that dealership one day. How far do you think we have to go before a Ferrari dealership will be feasible in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I saw this article this morning and think its a great thing. Good luck man on owning that dealership one day. How far do you think we have to go before a Ferrari dealership will be feasible in OKC?
    Haha, man it's a dream, and awesome one at that.. The chances of me ever owning a Ferrari franchise are slim, but it is possible. Maybe one day

As far as seeing one here, I bet OKC could support a Ferrari dealer in about 10 years, maybe a little less. I really think we could support an Aston-Maserati-Bently dealer right now, if someone were to open one up.

Just out curiosity, what kind of luxury auto dealer do they have in Charlotte, I would imagine pretty good seeing as Charlotte is a banking hub.

4. Default Re: Luxury Car Dealers in OKC

I'm betting that Maserati will be the first of the new arrivals: the Trident Guys are anxious to build worldwide volume, are showing an "entry-level" model -- the Ghibli, starting somewhere under $70k -- and need more outlets, pronto. And they've been here before, albeit in tiny numbers: Jackie Cooper's old Village digs got their volume from BMW, but they sold the occasional Maser and a couple of Rolls-Royces before the big oil bust of the early 80s. (Alfa Romeo is supposedly coming, but I expect them to be either dualed with Fiat or shoved into the back of "selected" Chrysler showrooms.)

Incidentally, Bob Moore's Porsche/Audi store is still joined at the hip to the Infiniti dealership next door.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Just out curiosity, what kind of luxury auto dealer do they have in Charlotte, I would imagine pretty good seeing as Charlotte is a banking hub.
    As far as dealerships, people still went to Atlanta for the super high-end stuff. They do have Aston Martin, Maserati Charlotte, NC | Foreign Cars Italia Charlotte | New & Used Luxury Car Dealer but not an official dealership for the high end brands. The main difference between there and here is the number of nicer cars on the roads. You see a lot more Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc than you do here. It's also an inspection state so many of the clunkers on the road in OKC wouldn't be legal to drive there.

A dealership like the one I linked you to in Charlotte may be feasible in OKC within the next 5-10 years in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    As far as seeing one here, I bet OKC could support a Ferrari dealer in about 10 years, maybe a little less. I really think we could support an Aston-Maserati-Bently dealer right now, if someone were to open one up.
    Dig into our history. In the 1947-49 time frame, we had Thoroughbred Motors, originally located on Automobile Alley but quickly moving to N Western around 46th street. I had the opportunity to sit in a gull-wing Mercedes 300SL at the Alley location, and met my first Jaguar XK-120 at the N. Western location -- where their used lot included such things as an MG TC and an ancient straight-16 Franklin.

They failed to survive into the 60s, though. Later, Breene Kerr (son of the late Senator Robert S. Kerr) opened a dealership much farther north on Western, around 70th street or so, that dealt strictly in sports cars. Breene himself, a 7-foot giant, drove an Alfa-Romeo. They also could order you a Ferrari but they didn't keep any on the floor. That's where I bought my Fiat X-1/9 in 1974, which was my all-time favorite vehicle despite its tendency to go airborne at 90 MPH. It had perfect 50-50 weight distribution, thanks to the mid-engine design (like Porsche's 914), and could take a 90-degree corner at 60 without a trace of leaning. Fitted with an ANSI exhaust system, it snarled exactly like an Indy car when wound up to 5500 revs in 3rd gear. But it died a miserable death one evening when the timing belt snapped, and all four pistons snapped off their valves before I could shut it down...

We've had top-of-the-line dealerships before, and no doubt will have them again. More power to you for your dream!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    As far as dealerships, people still went to Atlanta for the super high-end stuff. They do have Aston Martin, Maserati Charlotte, NC | Foreign Cars Italia Charlotte | New & Used Luxury Car Dealer but not an official dealership for the high end brands. The main difference between there and here is the number of nicer cars on the roads. You see a lot more Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc than you do here. It's also an inspection state so many of the clunkers on the road in OKC wouldn't be legal to drive there.

A dealership like the one I linked you to in Charlotte may be feasible in OKC within the next 5-10 years in my opinion.
    That's awesome. Dallas is the same way lol, they have a ton of BMW's, Porches, Audis, Lexus, and Bentleys rolling around, of course Dallas also has one of the few high-end VW lux dealers that sell brand new Veryons right from the dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    Dig into our history. In the 1947-49 time frame, we had Thoroughbred Motors, originally located on Automobile Alley but quickly moving to N Western around 46th street. I had the opportunity to sit in a gull-wing Mercedes 300SL at the Alley location, and met my first Jaguar XK-120 at the N. Western location -- where their used lot included such things as an MG TC and an ancient straight-16 Franklin.
    Lucky lucky to have sat in one of those. I saw one through a window passing by one time, I think a year or two ago. All amazing cars you listed!

They failed to survive into the 60s, though. Later, Breene Kerr (son of the late Senator Robert S. Kerr) opened a dealership much farther north on Western, around 70th street or so, that dealt strictly in sports cars. Breene himself, a 7-foot giant, drove an Alfa-Romeo. They also could order you a Ferrari but they didn't keep any on the floor. That's where I bought my Fiat X-1/9 in 1974, which was my all-time favorite vehicle despite its tendency to go airborne at 90 MPH. It had perfect 50-50 weight distribution, thanks to the mid-engine design (like Porsche's 914), and could take a 90-degree corner at 60 without a trace of leaning. Fitted with an ANSI exhaust system, it snarled exactly like an Indy car when wound up to 5500 revs in 3rd gear. But it died a miserable death one evening when the timing belt snapped, and all four pistons snapped off their valves before I could shut it down...

We've had top-of-the-line dealerships before, and no doubt will have them again. More power to you for your dream!!!
    That is awesome, I'll have to do some further research on all of that, I never really realized OKC had that at one point. That will be awesome to see a return. Thanks, Jim, and Great post!!!!

I forgot to mention one of the most striking cars on the Thoroughbred lot alongside the MG TC. It was a 1939 Mercury coupe, that on the outside appeared to be in mint condition (this was in 1947 or early 1948). However the interior was fully custom; leather seats, aircraft-style instruments, lots of chrome. And when you lifted the hood, you found a 300+ HP Dodge truck engine, full headers, quad carbs, and all the trimmings, all completely chromed. It had been custom built by a local race-engine builder named Buddy Rice, to be the ultimate custom/street rod for a local enthusiast, who had challenged the owner of Throughbred to a race out NW Hiway (which at the time was almost totally deserted west of May Avenue and was a favorite of all the street racers). The Merc ran clean out of sight for the first quarter-mile or so, but being built for torque rather than for top speed, it levelled off around 95 MPH. The XK-120 got its number from its rated top speed, and that specific one was in perfect tune and did quite a bit more than its rating called for. Somewhere around MacArthur the Jag flew past the Merc as if it were a jet plane passing a hot-air balloon. Out around Council, the guy from Thoroughbred stopped and waited for the Merc owner to show up. They swapped titles, even up, on the spot.

The guy from Thoroughbred told that story to us in explaining how he came to have such a beast on his lot. I've often wondered what happened to it over the years...

10. Default Re: Luxury Car Dealers in OKC

Isn't Buddy Rice Precision Engine still in business? I seem to recall a couple of friends having head work done there.

I knew a guy that was at the dealership on Western, I think it was Classic Motors where Sammy's Pizza and Sub Stop used to be. He had a pic of him and his wife picking up a 275GTB/4 in the make ready yard in Maranello in the 6o's, back in the mid-80's when I met him he had an SVO Mustang bought from Ford SVO with a few "options" not available on the dealership model. I got to know a few of the old guys when I worked shows and auction for John Hoke and had friends working there full time.

Bolen had Ferrari in the mid to late 70's, Jackie Cooper was a Ferrari, Rolls, Bentley dealer in the late 70's to early 80's and Big Red was a Ferrari dealer in the late 80's to early 90's before they changed ownership.

Jim Kyle, thanks for the trip down memory lane. My eldest brother had an X19 in the late 70's. Fun car, though I fit better in it on sunny days when the top was off. Not a long leggers ride but worth the leg cramps for the short time fun.

I'm 6'2" myself, and when I stood beside the car the roofline hit me right at the belt buckle. If I pulled up to a stoplight next to a VW Beetle, I had to look UP to see its parking lights. Still the car fit me like a glove and I never felt cramped in it.

Couldn't even get into one of them now, I fear. I always preferred a small car for ride and maneuverability, but for the past 5 years or more I've driven a Town & Country. Guess it goes back to learning to drive lo these many years ago on a Cat tractor and a '42 Ford pickup...

14. Default Re: Luxury Car Dealers in OKC

Couldn't even get into one of them now, I fear. I always preferred a small car for ride and maneuverability, but for the past 5 years or more I've driven a Town & Country. Guess it goes back to learning to drive lo these many years ago on a Cat tractor and a '42 Ford pickup...
    When I was looking around for my most recent "fun car", I was dead set on getting a Lotus Exige. Then I went and test drove one. Those cars should come with a complimentary bucket of Crisco for use in egress. I'm just under 6 feet and while I'm a bit fluffy around the middle...Well...I shouldn't have to try that hard just getting in and out of the thing I'm pretty sure they're smaller than Miatas.

Viper wasn't much better and had one horrible interior.

/wound up with a (relatively) giant (and much cheaper!) GTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    When I was looking around for my most recent "fun car", I was dead set on getting a Lotus Exige. Then I went and test drove one. Those cars should come with a complimentary bucket of Crisco for use in egress. I'm just under 6 feet and while I'm a bit fluffy around the middle...Well...I shouldn't have to try that hard just getting in and out of the thing I'm pretty sure they're smaller than Miatas.

I had a chance to drive an Elise around Dallas, it was pretty cool.

Not to stray too much off topic, but I would be afraid to drive a nice, high-end car like a Ferrar here in the metro. For one, the roads would tear that thing up, especially here on the southside.

17. Default Re: Luxury Car Dealers in OKC

Nah. They're not made of glass and balsa. Most of them are pretty robust. And the roads here aren't nearly as bad as other places I've lived. They do okay I think. The owners I've talked to (I've shot quite a few high-end cars in the area) never bring it up anyway, so I doubt it's much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerdude View Post
    Not to stray too much off topic, but I would be afraid to drive a nice, high-end car like a Ferrar here in the metro. For one, the roads would tear that thing up, especially here on the southside.
    Roads can be bad anywhere, here in Denver it's the manholes in the streets that kill you, all 4 wheels on my Z4 are slightly bent (two here, two happened in Austin) and I try to avoid the manholes as best I can. A co-worker had a 335ci that he just traded for a Range Rover after replacing two wheels and run-flats, he replaced the same wheels/tires a year ago when he lived in Dallas.

The older Lotus cars had more room, the newer Proton built cars were made for small people, like their Malaysian owners. They are smaller than a Miata and even the Honda S2000 (which I don't fit in at all) at 6'-2"/250lbs. One reason why I like the newer Porsche cars, their former CEO was something like 6'-9", I can easily fit in a Cayman or Boxster.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Roads can be bad anywhere, here in Denver it's the manholes in the streets that kill you, all 4 wheels on my Z4 are slightly bent (two here, two happened in Austin) and I try to avoid the manholes as best I can. A co-worker had a 335ci that he just traded for a Range Rover after replacing two wheels and run-flats, he replaced the same wheels/tires a year ago when he lived in Dallas.
    Had to replace the front suspension on my old 330i right at 40k. I should have sent the bill to the city...lol

21. Default Re: Luxury Car Dealers in OKC

Isn't Buddy Rice Precision Engine still in business? I seem to recall a couple of friends having head work done there.
    Still open and still the best high-performance machine shop in the area.

So Bob Moore is now officially getting a Maserati brand as part of their offerings. Really neat.

It now listed on their website as coming soon.

Bob Moore Auto Group | Oklahoma City & Tulsa Area Car Dealerships

Also went out for bidding

Bob Moore Maserati (Renovation/Addition) Construction Project

Probably helps having the Thunder here.

Only luxury brand I really care for is Aston. The rest just really don't do it for me. Only other high end car I like is the Veyron.

Yeah, I'm willing to bet we get an Aston Martin-Bently dealer here within the next 5-10 years.

25. Default Re: Luxury Car Dealers in OKC

Coulda sworn I once saw James Harden in a Bentley. And here, not in Houston.

Thread Information